Wiki Posts
Search

Questions About An Unused Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Questions About An Unused Ticket

Several of us family members were scheduled to fly from NY LGA to MCI for my granddaughter's wedding on May.6th. The day before, my daughter in law got hurt on her leg and could not move. Neither she nor my son thought to call the airline and notify them. (they should have known better, I admit). In any case she thought he called, he thought she called and he went without her.
Now she has a credit but can't use Delta because all her travels involve places Delta does not go. (McAllen TX mostly). My questions are as follows 1) Since they were still concerned about Omicron, wasn't she entitled to a refund? and 2) If I buy the ticket from her then she, then I will have paid for it, shouldn't I get miles for the trip when I fly? Thank you for any information and advice.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1) I don't think so unless it was a refundable ticket.

2) Plane tickets are nontransferrable; she cannot give/sell/barter the ticket to anyone.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by ontheway
Several of us family members were scheduled to fly from NY LGA to MCI for my granddaughter's wedding on May.6th. The day before, my daughter in law got hurt on her leg and could not move. Neither she nor my son thought to call the airline and notify them. (they should have known better, I admit). In any case she thought he called, he thought she called and he went without her.
Now she has a credit but can't use Delta because all her travels involve places Delta does not go. (McAllen TX mostly). My questions are as follows 1) Since they were still concerned about Omicron, wasn't she entitled to a refund? and 2) If I buy the ticket from her then she, then I will have paid for it, shouldn't I get miles for the trip when I fly? Thank you for any information and advice.

What your daughter in law and son could do is book a cheap positioning flight from McAllen to another airport and then book a Delta flight using ecredits to wherever they want to go. I've done this before and as long as the time is sufficient between position flight arrival and Delta departure, they should be fine.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Thank you. I know enough to know I can't buy it from her but apparently Delta told her she could give it to a relative. I'll have to check. I appreciate the info.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
1)No. This has never been a DL thing. At best free rebooking was offered without refare. (However most cases they did refare)

2)No not possible. Only ticketed passenger earns. Unless family member has same name, they can't use..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.