Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking of finally leaving Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I get it. I can't say I'm a huge fan of Delta but being based in Atlanta and prioritizing a non-stop flight over all else....Delta and their partners by default gets most of my business. That said, I still fly AA/UA/TK/JAL/BA often enough. A couple items to consider:

Connecting in LHR T5 for Europe is painful. Granted, Atlanta doesn't have many options for Trans-Atlantic, but I'd seriously consider Lufthansa and connecting in Germany. Turkish is an option too if your travels are to Eastern/Southern Europe but not worth it for Western/Northern Europe. The Club all non-Delta/non-Delta partners use for int'l customers is the Club at Atlanta. It's terribly overcrowded during peak period when the int'l flights are leaving as not only does it have all of those PAX but also it is the only Priority Pass option in ATL (you'd have access with Amex Plat if you're not otherwise eligible with status or class of flight), the food is merely ok (usually worse compared to the SkyClubs), but alcohol selection is better. As you probably know, there is a Centurion Lounge being built out in Concourse E, but I have to imagine it will be overcrowded from Day 1, between Amex Plat and Delta Reserve cardholders.

BA Avios is far better as far as redemption value, but do you fly often enough to Europe to collect enough Avios to be worth it? Also, keep in mind BA adds $$ surcharges to redemptions on its own flight which can get very expensive. Or would you also switch Domestic flying to AA, knowing you'll have to connect to many locations served by a Delta non-stop. Even if AA has a non-stop is it worth it? My most frequent route is ATL-DCA and while AA has non-stops, it's far lower frequency than DL and many of the flights are on Regional partners that seem to be the first to cancel when any kind of weather event. AAdmirals Clubs, like SkyClubs are highly variable as to experience and food/drink quality.

Finally, as another poster said, if you're flying Paid J and have an Amex Plat, you really don't need status on any airline.

Originally Posted by jtatlanta
So I think I am finally going to stop flying Delta after 20 years and move to BA/American. Also going to dump Delta Reserve card and replace with regular Amex Diamond or BA card. I figure it will take me a year to get to BA top tier but once I achieve it will be treated a lot better. I normally spend 30k plus a year on DL flights mainly to EU from Atl. Family another 20k. Am I crazy looking at the reasons below.

1, DL fights now much more expensive than BA or other airlines on my chosen trans Atlantic routes.
2, DL dropped many EU non stop flights or made them seasonal. If no non stop I may as well hop via LHR and save a ton.
3, DL lounges not great and in EU I can't get in partner ones unless on delta one ticket. May as well just use Amex Plat for access whatever airline I am flying.
4, Mileage redemptions now non existent or totally exorbitant on international routes. BA avios seem much better.
5, Diamond coupons virtually worthless for international upgrades with recent change. Companion ticket can't be used on one way either.
6, Locally from ATL very hard to get an upgrade with Diamond on my normal internal route so I buy Delta One anyway.
becks1 and DCAhome like this.

Last edited by dcstudent; Jul 21, 2022 at 5:33 pm
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
number one is the only one that matters.
Agreed, as Hub captive here in ATL, domestic, and especially INTL, prices have become ludicrous.

I've got 3 trips, through March '23, already paid for with ecredits etc and then I'm done. The wife and I used to travel 4+ times a year to Europe and beyond (always D1 or J), but the cost has become prohibitive and the D1 product is sub-standard, cramped, old and gross at best.

Next year's $$ will go to the home, local travel etc.

I've been a Deltafan for 25+ years, as an ATL ATC, and a consumer, but I'm done. I'd easily go TK (which I've moved a lot of my travel to) or QR if the routings weren't so awkward.
jtatlanta, becks1, DCAhome and 1 others like this.

Last edited by RetiredATLATC; Jul 21, 2022 at 6:39 pm
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
"#6.Locally from ATL very hard to get an upgrade with Diamond on my normal internal route so I buy Delta One anyway."

What internal (? domestic) route out of ATL offers Delta One?
Dawgfan6291 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by RobertS975
What internal (? domestic) route out of ATL offers Delta One?
The Hawaii routes have Delta One.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:48 pm

Bye

I always wonder what the purpose of advertising your departure is? I left American years ago I didn’t feel any need to inform anyone

The grass is always greener at another airline, that’s because it’s different manure
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by VFR
When flying on DL metal, they only let you access lounges operated by SkyTeam airlines. There are third party lounges in places like PRG that DL allows D1 passengers into but not STE+.
This does depend on the airport. I was able to ask for lounge access at MAD (during check-in) despite not flying D1, and they were happy to let me in the lounge if it not for me having to board my flight more-or-less immediately. While MAD is a SkyTeam hub, UX doesn't operate their own lounges hence this weird situation where I would be in a city where lounge access is normal, but it isn't.
VFR likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Left AA after 20+ years as Exec Platinum in 2019……abysmal customer service; BA flights were good and the earnings on partner airlines were good at that time. Switched to Delta and have never been left high and dry. The past year, BA has been beyond horrible..planes are dirty, broken down and old. On time and cancellations are beyond horrible…stuck at LHR for three days in March with little help(albeit I was just a kettle now). Wouldn’t reroute…lines were hours long. None of the legacy carriers are worth a crap anymore, so it’s what serves your travel needs. I guarantee that the other man’s grass is not greener!
becks1 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Don't think, do.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Bye

I always wonder what the purpose of advertising your departure is? I left American years ago I didn’t feel any need to inform anyone

The grass is always greener at another airline, that’s because it’s different manure
Didn’t this inform everyone?
voweffekt and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by angetenar
The Hawaii routes have Delta One.
OK, the OP mentioned his " normal internal route"... doubt he meant Hawaii.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
I honestly never understand these sorts of posts. The grass isn't greener anywhere else, and that's coming from an airline employee. I can't tell you how often I've heard pax's leaving us (UA) for Delta or AA, only to have my friend's who fly at those airlines say folks are leaving DL and AA for us. I honestly don't think on average, the service is any better or worse on any domestic carrier. Fly with the airline that is most convenient for you, and accept the fact that the experience will most likely be mediocre to occasionally good at best.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
But if you're able to buy D1 (J) outright, what is the point in being loyal to a specific airline if you're not finding any of the other benefits from your loyalty useful? IME the only benefit you're getting at that point anyways is priority phone line support, otherwise paid J is treated the same as top tier elites.
This has been my realization. I barely do any domestic travel anymore; it's all TATL and I pay for D1. So if UA is cheaper, why am I hanging on to DL?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
In perusing the many new threads on FT in the last 6 months, so many have been about problems with BA flights. It wouldn’t be my first choice.

Whichever airline you change to, make sure to have options. If you’re paying for J tickets, always check for connecting flights. Non-stop flights out of big hubs are often substantially more expensive than ones with a simple connection.

Use up your DL miles while you still have status, too. Remember many of the best redemptions are round trip only, booked 2-3 months or more, in advance.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
But if you're able to buy D1 (J) outright, what is the point in being loyal to a specific airline if you're not finding any of the other benefits from your loyalty useful? IME the only benefit you're getting at that point anyways is priority phone line support, otherwise paid J is treated the same as top tier elites.
+100000. If you are buying D1, just take the carrier you like the best and stop chasing status.

Also just a few thoughts on this:
  • Google "LHR" or "Heathrow" and then decide if you really want to have that be your primary connection point (admittedly AMS isn't much better)
  • Let me know if those non-existent BA upgrade instruments are worth any more than the DL GUCs
  • Check out those fuel surcharges that go with BA Avios redemptions -- they aren't pretty
ijgordon and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:16 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by jtatlanta
So I think I am finally going to stop flying Delta after 20 years and move to BA/American. Also going to dump Delta Reserve card and replace with regular Amex Diamond or BA card. I figure it will take me a year to get to BA top tier but once I achieve it will be treated a lot better. I normally spend 30k plus a year on DL flights mainly to EU from Atl. Family another 20k.
Check back with us in a year of flying through LHR on BA with cheap flights.

For background read the BA forum threads for a few months and see how happy you will be while shooting for top tier
Dawgfan6291 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.