Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Free Wi-Fi (Launched on some flights)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold

All the usual blogs are reporting Delta’s free wi-fi launch is imminent, citing an internal memo. Will start with domestic mainline, expanding to international mainline in 2024. No timeline for Delta Connection carriers.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-free-inflight-wifi-coming-soon/
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
All the usual blogs are reporting Delta’s free wi-fi launch is imminent, citing an internal memo. Will start with domestic mainline, expanding to international mainline in 2024. No timeline for Delta Connection carriers.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-free-inflight-wifi-coming-soon/
Free wifi sounds great in theory, but is there enough capacity to ensure everyone gets a great experience? I tried in-flight wifi with DL a few years ago and recently with UA and my conclusion is that it's very slow. It resembles more of a 56k service than my definition of broadband. Hopefully, DL and UA will adopt Starlink in the near future. I'm not convinced ViaSat is the long-term solution.
lindros2 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Free wifi sounds great in theory, but is there enough capacity to ensure everyone gets a great experience? I tried in-flight wifi with DL a few years ago and recently with UA and my conclusion is that it's very slow. It resembles more of a 56k service than my definition of broadband. Hopefully, DL and UA will adopt Starlink in the near future. I'm not convinced ViaSat is the long-term solution.
JetBlue's free wifi works pretty well.
emma dog, hi55us and FlyerWx like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
As I understand, Viasat's Wifi gives each plane a few hundred megabits of bandwidth. My guess is that Delta will restrict streaming (Netflix, Youtube, ...) in their free offering and require a buy-up for that. If you're not doing video, a couple of megabits per customer is enough for everyone on the plane to browse at tolerable speeds.

I'm assuming buying up would trigger traffic shaping that prioritizes your traffic as well.

The issue with satellite internet (minus starlink which is low earth orbit) is less one of bandwidth and more one of latency. Those satellites are in geosync orbit. It takes 2 round trips to acknowledge a request, and at 22,000 miles away, that's nearly 500 milliseconds of latency at the speed of light. It will "feel" slow no matter how wide the pipe is.
RobOnLI and BSAChris like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Obviously as pointed out Delta Connection won’t be included in this free rollout likely because they are still equipped with the original GoGo Air-To-Ground WiFi which is notoriously slow but what about the 717s which are the only mainline fleet left to still have ATG as well (all the other mainline aircraft have some sort of Satellite Internet)?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
WN and KLM have free texting. You can text with your friends. Only on iMessage and WhatsApp.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by N830MH
WN and KLM have free texting. You can text with your friends. Only on iMessage and WhatsApp.
so does DL
BSAChris and FabCW like this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyeballer
JetBlue's free wifi works pretty well.
Is it ViaSat? Will there be enough capacity to accommodate all of the passengers anticipated to connect to the service?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
As I understand, Viasat's Wifi gives each plane a few hundred megabits of bandwidth. My guess is that Delta will restrict streaming (Netflix, Youtube, ...) in their free offering and require a buy-up for that. If you're not doing video, a couple of megabits per customer is enough for everyone on the plane to browse at tolerable speeds.

I'm assuming buying up would trigger traffic shaping that prioritizes your traffic as well.

The issue with satellite internet (minus starlink which is low earth orbit) is less one of bandwidth and more one of latency. Those satellites are in geosync orbit. It takes 2 round trips to acknowledge a request, and at 22,000 miles away, that's nearly 500 milliseconds of latency at the speed of light. It will "feel" slow no matter how wide the pipe is.
So I don't know how much bandwidth each plane will get. Unless you provide a source, I guess we won't really know. Is there enough bandwidth for even basic browsing if all the US airlines connect to ViaSat? Keep in mind that ViaSat doesn't just serve airlines and has other customers as well.

Yes, I'm fully aware of latency and that's the advantage of Starlink since it has a much larger constellation and is much closer to Earth so latency will be much better. Once there's global coverage, the airlines would be foolish not to partner with Starlink. HA made the right decision to go with Starlink and hopefully once people try it out, they'll demand that every other major airline rip out ViaSat gear and go with Starlink. I know I sound biased, but I really don't believe ViaSat's current constellation will be able to compete with Starlink. I know Amazon is planning to deploy their own LEOS so I'm looking forward to more competition. It's already 2022 and it makes no sense not to have a great in-flight Wifi experience whether it's flying international or domestic.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Is it ViaSat? Will there be enough capacity to accommodate all of the passengers anticipated to connect to the service?
Yes it is.
https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/wifi

No idea in terms of capacity.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:05 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by eyeballer
Yes it is.
https://www.jetblue.com/flying-with-us/wifi

No idea in terms of capacity.
I am currently sitting on a JetBlue flight, and am getting 8 Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up. There are 140 seats on the plane, if we assume half of them use Wi-Fi, and performance degrades to 5 Mbps down with that many users, you get to 350 Mbps. Other stuff like the live TV also goes over the satellite connection I believe.

JetBlue used to have two tiers (free browsing and paid streaming) but that seems to be gone now; I’m on an A220 with Viasat 2.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
I am currently sitting on a JetBlue flight, and am getting 8 Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up. There are 140 seats on the plane, if we assume half of them use Wi-Fi, and performance degrades to 5 Mbps down with that many users, you get to 350 Mbps. Other stuff like the live TV also goes over the satellite connection I believe.

JetBlue used to have two tiers (free browsing and paid streaming) but that seems to be gone now; I’m on an A220 with Viasat 2.
What's your general browsing experience like? Is it relatively fast? Or 56k like on United when I flew to Singapore?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:17 pm
VFR

What's your general browsing experience like? Is it relatively fast? Or 56k like on United when I flew to Singapore?
It’s pretty fast, I would say comparable with Delta’s $5 Viasat Wi-Fi. I’ve been browsing and listening to streaming music; Apple Music doesn’t seem to load suggestions on planes which always annoys me.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
It’s pretty fast, I would say comparable with Delta’s $5 Viasat Wi-Fi. I’ve been browsing and listening to streaming music; Apple Music doesn’t seem to load suggestions on planes which always annoys me.
Have you tried UA's Wifi before? You're kind of getting my hopes up. I remember asking around on FT about what UA's in-flight Wifi was like and I felt like there is a bit of a gap between what was mentioned and what I experienced. Just to be clear, I've used UA's wifi domestically, to Canada, and Singapore and wasn't impressed with the experience. It was only "bearable" simply because there was really nothing else to do except sleep. I hope what you said is true and that B6 sets a new baseline in terms of service. Having said that, I still think the sooner the airlines adopt Starlink, the better!
Old Jul 23, 2022, 1:44 pm
VFR

Have you tried UA's Wifi before? You're kind of getting my hopes up. I remember asking around on FT about what UA's in-flight Wifi was like and I felt like there is a bit of a gap between what was mentioned and what I experienced. Just to be clear, I've used UA's wifi domestically, to Canada, and Singapore and wasn't impressed with the experience. It was only "bearable" simply because there was really nothing else to do except sleep. I hope what you said is true and that B6 sets a new baseline in terms of service. Having said that, I still think the sooner the airlines adopt Starlink, the better!
I believe I've only tried UA's new $8 Wi-Fi, which is also Viasat and is acceptable... I was on a kinda old 737 for a red eye, but it did have the new Wi-Fi.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.