Wiki Posts
Search

Beware Automatic Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Beware Automatic Upgrades

My wife and I are on a JFK-SEA flight tomorrow. I have automatic upgrade requests for both C+ and F.

We had Preferred exit row seats in the main cabin. I figured no chance of an upgrade since C+ was almost filled. Nope. Was "upgraded" to two middle seats in C+. Before I knew it, the exit row seats in the back were gone. Now I'm checking every hour for an open window or aisle seat. So far nothing.

Beware of your automatic upgrade setting. You just may get what you wish for!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
under Preferences/Upgrades in your SM profile (full website version, not the app) you can select whether you want aisle, window, or middle for C+ ... this feature has been around for several years
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by yogimax
My wife and I are on a JFK-SEA flight tomorrow.
Originally Posted by jrl767
under Preferences/Upgrades in your SM profile (full website version, not the app) you can select whether you want aisle, window, or middle for C+ ... this feature has been around for several years
... but it might only apply if traveling solo? Dunno if that still applies but was true in the past.

Some past threads:

Comfort Plus Middle Seat Upgrade

Comfort plus upgrade seat preference (Silver Medallion)

Comfort Plus - Avoid Middle Seat?

No more middle seat upgrades!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Ask at the gate for the two seats that are normally reserved?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by bloc0102
If you mean the two seats they had before the upgrade kicked it, not going to happen. They won't take those people out of those seats.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by bloc0102
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
If you mean the two seats they had before the upgrade kicked it, not going to happen. They won't take those people out of those seats.
No, OP means the two seats BLOCKED until airport or gate check-in in the C+ cabin. Usually 10B/C depending on aircraft type.

-RM
MSPeconomist and bloc0102 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
No, OP means the two seats BLOCKED until airport or gate check-in in the C+ cabin. Usually 10B/C depending on aircraft type.

-RM
That's correct. Those are the only two still open/
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
... but it might only apply if traveling solo? Dunno if that still applies but was true in the past.
Still true as of the last time I asked a month ago. No solution when traveling with a companion. It's very silly.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Yeah, if I'm happy with my seats I uncheck the automatic upgrades box (or make sure aisle or windows is checked) for that reason
Old Jul 21, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Zorak
Still true as of 7/9/22 when my 7 year old and I were auto-upgraded to separate middle seats in C+.

It’s happened to me before so I usually monitor and uncheck the upgrades request if it starts looking like I won’t have 2 seats together (when I’m with my kid - don’t want to be the person asking folks to move) or only middle seats available (when traveling with adults where I don’t mind being split up).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.