Wiki Posts
Search

A320 weight restricted flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone underground!
A320 weight restricted flight

I’m on an A320 from pvd-atl this am and it’s weight restricted. Can anyone shed some insight?

The usual suspects (hot, high, short runway, short/long flights) don’t seem to be at play here.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't it extremely hot in most of the USA (and also Europe) now?
Goodoldflyer, Hoyaheel and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't it extremely hot in most of the USA (and also Europe) now?
Its currently 73 degrees in pvd with calm winds.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:38 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Could be freight. Much more profitable and possibly perishables.

ATL is having some crappy WX this morning and more moving in so they could b loading extra fuel for holding or diversions.
lindros2, wrp96, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Actually weight restricted or payload optimized?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
What were the ramifications of being weight restricted? Leaving some luggage behind? Leaving some passengers behind?

The winds this AM are brisk out of the west, 270@10 kts, gusts to 18. This necessitates using the far shorter runway 34 at 6,000 feet as opposed to the longer runway 5-23 at 8,000 feet. While a fully loaded A320 can get off in 6,000 feet, there is a governing requirement called balanced field length, a somewhat complicated concept. But basically, the runway length is not sufficient to allow a safe takeoff if an engine is lost at certain points, nor long enough to accommodate a high speed aborted takeoff when the aircraft is at certain gross weights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_field_takeoff
ATOBTTR, wrp96, FlyBitcoin and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:53 am

I've seen this pop up on A320s more and more. I think a recent issue was the FAA increase of pax weights. That seems to have negatively affected the A320s the most. I would guess weather in ATL + the runway config that RobertS975 mentioned are the contributing factors.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by emma dog
I’m on an A320 from pvd-atl this am and it’s weight restricted. Can anyone shed some insight?

The usual suspects (hot, high, short runway, short/long flights) don’t seem to be at play here.
It’s more than likely weight restricted not due to performance, but due to max landing weight. Even since the FAA raised the average passenger weights last year, the max landing weight for the Delta A320s have become an issue more frequently than before. This usually pops up when there has to be extra fuel added for an alternate, which is the case for today due to the weather in ATL.
PurdueFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
What were the ramifications of being weight restricted? Leaving some luggage behind? Leaving some passengers behind?

The winds this AM are brisk out of the west, 270@10 kts, gusts to 18. This necessitates using the far shorter runway 34 at 6,000 feet as opposed to the longer runway 5-23 at 8,000 feet. While a fully loaded A320 can get off in 6,000 feet, there is a governing requirement called balanced field length, a somewhat complicated concept. But basically, the runway length is not sufficient to allow a safe takeoff if an engine is lost at certain points, nor long enough to accommodate a high speed aborted takeoff when the aircraft is at certain gross weights.
The A320 can take off with a crosswind up to 38 knots so given the current winds, it really wouldn’t be a factor for the longer runway. The issue more than likely is it’s projected max landing weight.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_field_takeoff
270@10 is only a 6.4 kt crosswind component for rwy 23. Totally within limits.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:20 am
Original Poster

We took off runway 23.

They bumped some passengers and did not allow gate check. Lots of reshuffling of the overhead bins to accommodate the bags.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Could be freight. Much more profitable and possibly perishables.
Common misconception. Cargo makes up less than 2% of airline revenues (pre-covid) and very little of that comes from narrow body domestic flights. The only reason I could think of they would bump pax for cargo would be AOG parts, or carrying human organs for transplant...and it would require a lottttt of kidneys to require bumping peeps. Both of those are highly unlikely. More likely is the ALT requirement if ATL is/was expecting WX or WX enroute. Bump the cargo (if it's causing a weight issue) to a later flight which is far more economical than bumping peeps.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Common misconception. Cargo makes up less than 2% of airline revenues (pre-covid) ...
To add to this, in almost all cases, cargo would be left in order to not deny boarding to revenue pax.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
after those A320s were modded to get to 157 seats, they were already landing-weight limited more often than not. The FAA increasing the pax / bag weights last year compounded the problem. The airplane is just too darn heavy when its full, and it's a structural landing limit as stated upthread. Long alternates or hold fuel will almost always result in bumping passengers.

Plus ATL had 7 wx diverts this morning, so whatever extra fuel they put on was probably warranted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.