Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to restart Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
But isn't there a difference between entrenched German bureaucracy (which will change when pigs fly) and start-up culture?
Of course there is. Except the bureaucracy crushes any meaningful progress of start-up culture in this country. Which explains my earlier point about promises of digitalisation going unfulfilled since 20 years ago.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
STR's return has been delayed and delayed and delayed (it was also supposed to come back this winter, and now it's pushed till next summer). STR is all about business and it's clear that the business travel segment hasn't recovered to nearly the level that DL thinks they need for the nonstop to return.
I flew ATL-STR pre-covid as a tourist and I was the ONLY leisure pax in the D1 cabin. Every other pax had a Mercedes, Porsche or VW logo on their clothing or briefcase tag, etc. STR is a nice city to visit, but make no mistake, the ATL-STR flight existed (and one day will exist again?) solely because of automotive business travel.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:40 pm

there is a lot of award space available to partners for this route
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ecaarch
I flew ATL-STR pre-covid as a tourist and I was the ONLY leisure pax in the D1 cabin. Every other pax had a Mercedes, Porsche or VW logo on their clothing or briefcase tag, etc. STR is a nice city to visit, but make no mistake, the ATL-STR flight existed (and one day will exist again?) solely because of automotive business travel.
To my knowledge DL still has the commercial contracts with both Mercedes and Porsche in place. Keep in mind that Porsche is Deltas mobility partner...which happends to headquarter in Atlanta.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:15 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
Semi relevant question: is delta requiring masking on flights to Germany (and other places with domestic mask requirements)? I’ve seen conflicting reports.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Masks were not required on my recent ATL-MUC-ATL trip two weeks ago.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
AMS-BER on KL a few weeks ago: masks required. About the same time, BER-CDG on AF, not a mask in sight.

I agree with the poster who noted that Berlin has gotten a LOT more expensive. Even five years ago it was still cheaper than many European hotspots, but now--of course, there's inflation (6 euros for a Döner Kebap!)--it's easily on par with Rome or Madrid. KaDeWe used to be a slightly down-market Harrod's; now it's on par. A subway ride is more expensive than NYC by a fair margin. So there's clearly much more wealth in Berlin than even five years ago. Whether this is all generated by tourists and techies, with no other corresponding business wealth, I can't say. Either way, I'm glad the nonstop is back though I sure wish it were TXL! (The BER lounge beats the AF one at TXL, however: the one and only improvement as far as I'm concerned.)
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Well, it's not taking that much to beat the old TXL lounge. We will see if we ever having an Skyteam Lounge at BER, they had planned one for the 2012 opening but back then we had KLM, AF, DL plus Alitalia and Aeroflot operating there.But i'm relieved too having that non-stop back. Who knows how AMS will do next summer.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by jiburi
Great news. Since the collapse of Air Berlin, and it’s major delay of opening of the BER airport, Berlin has lost access to so many non-stop flights. Berlin is definitely an under-served market with huge business and governmental presence. I also think LH will someday declare BER to become one of their hub (after FRA and MUC).

Eventually, I also think we will also get ATL flight to BER. Only time will tell.

Jiburi
Underserved markets are usually just low yields in reality as otherwise someone would have made a successful and sustaining move already.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ryanm
Either way, I'm glad the nonstop is back though I sure wish it were TXL! (The BER lounge beats the AF one at TXL, however: the one and only improvement as far as I'm concerned.)

I have not been to Berlin since the new airport (finally) opened. I can't really imagine an airport being worse than TXL, especially a new one. What is wrong with it?
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have not been to Berlin since the new airport (finally) opened. I can't really imagine an airport being worse than TXL, especially a new one. What is wrong with it?
Everything. It didn't open for over 10 years. By point it opened, all computers/monitors/LVD TV screens where past operating life. Plus they had been left running whole time, so they were truly past expected operating period.

This should tell you how well the place was thought out.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
It's super far out (near the old SXF), with very few direct links on public transit, so from central Berlin it's easily double, maybe triple, the commuting time and also way more expensive if you take a car. It also doesn't have much more capacity than TXL and SXF did combined, which has made many folks wonder what exactly the point was. Long security lines, which of course TXL never had since every gate did its own (until the added side buildings, like for AF/KL, but those served so few gates that they were never an issue).

For me TXL was perfect: super close to the city, easily reachable on public transit, and never a problem with lines or waits. It was not fancy, obviously, but as someone who started going to Berlin in the late 90s a pointed lack of fanciness is exactly what I wanted and expected. Now BER reads like an anodyne, moderately wealthy Northern European airport, its physical distance from the city matched by a total lack of Berlin style/feel in the airport itself.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by ryanm
For me TXL was perfect: super close to the city, easily reachable on public transit, and never a problem with lines or waits. It was not fancy, obviously, but as someone who started going to Berlin in the late 90s a pointed lack of fanciness is exactly what I wanted and expected.
Let’s not forget the duty free at that weird underground mall - I got two Boss suits - Euro/German size - for €295 (two piece) and €365 (three piece) which would easy cost 2-3x that elsewhere.
and you know what? Still nearly perfect, years later…
fsuj25 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM
I just looked at a random flight JFK->TXL and noticed the last 5 rows of economy being non-bookable. It was a 767-300. Are they already hedging for a smaller plane if demand does not work out? What would be the smaller option for that route? Can a 757 do this flight (I think Delta used it for the STR in the past but sometimes had to add a refueling stop)

As pointed out above, while TXL was a zoo running at a multiple of its designed load, TXL was super efficient. I have not had a chance to fly out of BER yet.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by underattack
I just looked at a random flight JFK->TXL and noticed the last 5 rows of economy being non-bookable. It was a 767-300. Are they already hedging for a smaller plane if demand does not work out? ...
Could this be the "dynamic seat blocking for families" in place? I can only find a TPG article, but the back two rows being blocked is normal I think. The 3 additional blocked rows could be this family seat blocking. I think the only thing smaller than a 763 is the 75S, but I don't think Delta really wants to run the 757s TATL anymore.
NYC Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.