Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta/Boeing 737-MAX Plane Transaction Thread (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I have strong opinions on the MAX story at BA. But that it is not what needs be discussed here.

For me, the 739 is DL's worst plane. I doubt the 10 is any better. From a pax perspective, the 32x wins by a mile.
One could argue that the safety aspects of the aircraft DL is operating (or in this case, considering operating) is as important as any of the other aspects of DL's operation and product that get debated/discussed here on FT.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The MAX is notorious, but I wonder how many people will refuse to fly on the MAX 10 (if operated by DL) versus the ones that will accept it if the fare is cheaper or the schedule better. I also wonder whether employers can force employees to fly the MAX 10 for business travel. [A previous employer had a policy of not insisting on a particular airline due to liability concerns.]
Probably employer and even approving official dependent. For the USG, or at least DoD, it comes down to the approving official agreeing and signing off on it but there is a "Reason Code" for declining to fly a GSA contract fare within Table K-7A, Reason Code C7, "Traveler refused contract fare because (a) Carrier Specified (c) Routing Specified and (e) Personal Reasons."
https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Do.../DTA_App_K.pdf

If I see a 737 MAX pop up on any of my bookings and decline to fly it and submit that as a reason, I'll report back on whether it worked.
Keith2004 and cmd320 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Deal could be announced in the next month for up to 100 MAX 10s
https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...es-2022-03-18/
Oh, I hope this is just a rumor. I am looking forward to the day when Delta dumps its last 737. Who needs those pieces of garbage anyway?
cmd320, IndyHoosier and audidudi like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
This would certainly be unfortunately if DL decides to get on the MAX wagon. And, shame on Boeing for trying to shove certification through and the FAA regulators for even considering a fast track. Talk about repeating the same crap from the original MAX certification...
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Considering BA's stock right now is only up 1.5% on the day
How much is DL's stock down?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
What aircraft would these replace, has that been determined? The 321neos are set to replace the 752s if I'm not mistaken so I'm not sure what the MAX 10s would do? Unless it's more upgauging of the fleet, which seems quite common lately.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
What aircraft would these replace, has that been determined? The 321neos are set to replace the 752s if I'm not mistaken so I'm not sure what the MAX 10s would do? Unless it's more upgauging of the fleet, which seems quite common lately.
That's not really how fleet management works. DL decides what network they would like to operate, and then they try to build a fleet optimized to serve that network. So a better question is what routes would these planes operate, rather than what planes will these replace.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 3:23 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Same old Boeing bashing here without understanding the issues.

It's not the intent of FAA regulations to tell you what to do. It's up to the manufacturer to meet the intent by means acceptable to the regulator. That's the only way that the industry can be advanced while still maintaining safety of flight as good as or better than earlier safe designs

The specs so far appear to address this and as such were approved by the FAA.

However if you feel different than vote with your feet if you can find better
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
That's not really how fleet management works. DL decides what network they would like to operate, and then they try to build a fleet optimized to serve that network. So a better question is what routes would these planes operate, rather than what planes will these replace.
These would be 100 high capacity narrow bodies on top of the all the 739s, 321CEOs and 321NEOs so where would these MAX 10 go?
Old Mar 18, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Same old Boeing bashing here without understanding the issues.

It's not the intent of FAA regulations to tell you what to do. It's up to the manufacturer to meet the intent by means acceptable to the regulator. That's the only way that the industry can be advanced while still maintaining safety of flight as good as or better than earlier safe designs

The specs so far appear to address this and as such were approved by the FAA.
Ummm, the specs do not meet the new rules, which is why Boeing is scrambling to get the Max 10 certified before the new rules take effect, while also pleading for a time extension
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
How much is DL's stock down?
Up 1.5% on a generally bullish day across the board.

Over the last 8 years DL stock has been dead money.
All it does is fly round trips between $20 and $60.

Before being the "we keep the middle seat open longer than anyone else" airline in the pandemic, DL was the "we don't fly the MAX" airline a year prior.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
This one is going to sting. Boeing has no near term delivery slots and CFM isn't going to give Tech Ops an engine contract. And Boeing has no incentive to move heaven and earth for Delta. Airbus knows this and will sell more 321neo at an eye watering price. Karma always comes back and makes things right. Delta cried wolf too many times and now they're going to get fleeced.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
I was thinking the same thing but couldn't figure out the right way to say it...There's going to be a noticeable number of people who aren't going to want to fly on any MAX for a long time, much less one that's got a SAFETY EXEMPTION
That's an odd claim. Are AA, UA, AS, and WN flying around empty 7M8 and 7M9?
DLASflyer and Newman55 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 11:36 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I hope this doesn't happen. The existing 737s aren't as comfortable as the Airbus narrowbodies, and since the "max" name basically refers to profits above all (comfort or safety), I'm afraid DL will max out the capacity like AA did. Sorry for the puns in there, I overdid it for emphasis.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I much prefer the Airbus single aisle planes due to the extra comfort but I assume that BA would ensure this new MAX has no safety issues. After all they are basically one more MAX nosedive from bankruptcy.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Personally, I hope this never happens as I have no desire to fly on any MAX. I don’t understand why Delta would want the MAX 10 as it is of similar size, seating capacity, to the A321. One would think that Delta would be in the market to find a suitable replacement for the B738 and A320’s that are both the oldest single isle aircraft in their fleet, a aircraft in the 160 seat category.
DenverBrian, ebayj and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.