Musings on Delta One Suites

Old Jul 12, 2022, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Musings on Delta One Suites

Hi all. I tend to be loyal to UA and AA out of convenience. This summer I grabbed an IAP discounted fare to CDG with Delta One Suites. This was my first time flying long haul on Delta, with the long haul leg JFK-CDG. It seemed like Delta was way behind Polaris and AA. Hard product wise, the seat felt really cramped. The doors don't really matter to me (seems like a total gimmick honestly), but the arm rest was fixed. I liked being able to drop the arm rest on the other airlines to give me a little width (I'm a regular medium sized guy). The recline and lounge mode also slid forward and were to close to the entertainment center which also wasn't a very comfortable experience. Soft product wise the food was fine (better than UA). However, the lounge situation at JFK was crazy. I left the centurion lounge to get closer to the gate, but the line appeared hours long with no shortcut for Delta One customers so ended up sitting in the terminal. Also, extremely minor gripe but they had no sparkling water on the plane. At least 5 people asked for it, and we were all told that is not something they loaded for our flight. I'm curious, for frequent Delta flyers am I missing something? Is there a way to make this a more comfortable experience? Does anyone else feel like these are relatively uncomfortable seats? I've read and heard many good things about this product, but doubt there will be a good enough price difference next time around to make me a return customer.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Personally I do find the seats in the suites uncomfortable. I am 6'3" and I end up with my knees above the level of my hips, which is not comfortable for me.

I usually have to bring a pillow to sit on.

David
photojojo, boss315, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:29 pm

Re sparking water, we always ask for club soda. Was that not available or is that not acceptable?
ijgordon and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:37 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Everyone has their own preference of course, but most will tell you the seat (which is an updated version of the coffin seats DL has on their 767s) isnt one of the better business class seats out there today in terms of personal space.

Personally, I think the best off the shelf seat out there these days is the newer generation reverse herringbone seat used by AA, BA and others.
John Portland likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
I'm planning a paid J class trip to LHR for 2 people....Delta (whom I'm a 2MM) is bottom of the list.....probably either Virgin, United or AA.....I've started to fly again for business and rank AA and UA the same and now DL 3rd....hard to say but somehow the product has dropped....
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
I'm now at 1.4MM on Delta, but I will generally pick partners for long-haul flights. It's not that I think Delta One long haul is horrible. I just feel that their partners offer a better product. I wish that weren't the case.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I may be weird but I think for sleeping the D1 suites are great, 350 and remolded planes, but I think they are horrible to sit in. Versus the 330 I like the seat for sitting, but sleeping can be a problem getting bumped from a cart or person walking in the aisles.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really just depends on the equipment as to AA vs DL vs UA. I suppose UA will be most consistent at some point but they still have the 2-1-2 on the 764s and not sure if theyre using the old 2-4-2 for long haul Intl. AA has less desirable seats on some aircraft (all 788s and some 772s) and DL has quite the variety.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by darkrider
Hi all. I tend to be loyal to UA and AA out of convenience. This summer I grabbed an IAP discounted fare to CDG with Delta One Suites. This was my first time flying long haul on Delta, with the long haul leg JFK-CDG. It seemed like Delta was way behind Polaris and AA. Hard product wise, the seat felt really cramped. The doors don't really matter to me (seems like a total gimmick honestly), but the arm rest was fixed. I liked being able to drop the arm rest on the other airlines to give me a little width (I'm a regular medium sized guy). The recline and lounge mode also slid forward and were to close to the entertainment center which also wasn't a very comfortable experience. Soft product wise the food was fine (better than UA). However, the lounge situation at JFK was crazy. I left the centurion lounge to get closer to the gate, but the line appeared hours long with no shortcut for Delta One customers so ended up sitting in the terminal. Also, extremely minor gripe but they had no sparkling water on the plane. At least 5 people asked for it, and we were all told that is not something they loaded for our flight. I'm curious, for frequent Delta flyers am I missing something? Is there a way to make this a more comfortable experience? Does anyone else feel like these are relatively uncomfortable seats? I've read and heard many good things about this product, but doubt there will be a good enough price difference next time around to make me a return customer.
So I like the seat for sitting. Frankly for day time flights or even short TATL flights where I nap more so than sleep, I miss the old BizE lazyboy type chairs.

but for sleeping, I honestly find the A330(200/300) product to be the best. I'm just too tall for the foot rest in the arm type chairs. Hell the LATAM A350 seats are more comfortable to me than the D1S seats but 2-2-2 sucks for normal single traveler who likes his window seats.

I do see what Delta was going for, and I don't know if they could have come up with a better solution. I have yet to fly the Q-suite product but it looks to be the only real comparable product on the market. We will see how Polaris works out with the door on it.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Thanks so much for the thoughts all. Glad Im not alone in this experience. The oddity of the DL experience made me feel like I missed something. I will be flying Air France in J back to states so hopefully that will be better. Ive flown Real Polaris on different aircraft and always found that seat wide enough and comfortable. I only did the Rockwell Collins on AA 777-200 which I know is one of their best (loved that experience) but heard some other AA options definitely arent up to snuff.

oh and didnt think to try tonic water/club soda in lieu of sparkling water. Good thoughts!
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Really just depends on the equipment as to AA vs DL vs UA. I suppose UA will be most consistent at some point but they still have the 2-1-2 on the 764s and not sure if theyre using the old 2-4-2 for long haul Intl. AA has less desirable seats on some aircraft (all 788s and some 772s) and DL has quite the variety.
Agree - I think the AA seats on some of the aircraft are terrible. Particularly bad is the equipment swap you can get on any of the 777 -- suddenly you end up with a backwards seat.

If I fly AA, I make sure I'm in a row where if an equipment swap happens I still end up with a front facing seat.
darkrider likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I do see what Delta was going for, and I don't know if they could have come up with a better solution. I have yet to fly the Q-suite product but it looks to be the only real comparable product on the market. We will see how Polaris works out with the door on it.
How does the Delta One suite compare to the BA Club suite?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
I fly Air France when doing any internationals to Europe. Domestic wise I get annoyed getting stuck in D1 or FC with D1 Cabins on the older guys.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bcj1949
I'm planning a paid J class trip to LHR for 2 people....Delta (whom I'm a 2MM) is bottom of the list.....probably either Virgin, United or AA.....I've started to fly again for business and rank AA and UA the same and now DL 3rd....hard to say but somehow the product has dropped....
If flying United, make sure your itinerary allows you to eat at a Polaris lounge before boarding the flight. The current onboard food for Polaris is terrible.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Personally I do find the seats in the suites uncomfortable. I am 6'3" and I end up with my knees above the level of my hips, which is not comfortable for me.

I usually have to bring a pillow to sit on.

David
6'6" here, size 15 shoes and wide shoulders - I tend to dislike all airplane seats (Y, W, or J), as they all seem to be designed to not hold anyone taller than 5'9". While clearly a step above PS, the footwells on all Delta's seats are awful for me as I can't fit all the way, and to make it worse there is this pinch point around hip height when laying flat that prevents me from pulling my feet out of that constricting footwell. Still if i had to rank them, the suits are marginally better than the 330 seats, because the latter are so darn narrow. I avoid 763 at all cost today, but curious about the 764 seat (they are never on routes I take).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.