Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Musings on Delta One Suites

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I did a TATL redeye in the D1 Suite on the A350 earlier this year. Agree that there are other more "comfortable" seats out there in terms of the seat padding/material but I didn't mind the seat. I had an even number row which put my seat closer to the aisle than the window but I think this actually made the door more beneficial because with my head closer to the door, the angles meant light from elsewhere in the cabin and ceiling and such was better blocked than I think it might have been if I was in an odd-row with the seat closer to the window. I also liked having the extra storage space in the armrest that's between the seat and the window where as if I was in an odd row with the seat closer to the window, that storage space isn't there because that's where the gap to get out is.

Unlike some others, I don't mind the backwards facing seats on AA 777 as much, which I've flown on both daytime and redeye flights. This is because the aircraft is usually flying at a couple of degrees nose-up attitude, so if you're in a forward facing seat and are in a full-lie-flat mode, your feet are then above your head, which I find uncomfortable where as if you are in a rear facing seat and go into the full lie-flat mode, your head is still above your feet.
El Boocho and Kerrirdh like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by xooz
Re sparking water, we always ask for club soda. Was that not available or is that not acceptable?
Delta provisioned San Pellegrino in business pre-COVID. But to your point, have to imagine that at least club soda is available now.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Meh I don't think the D1 Suite is that bad, I think all the US3 hard products are pretty good (excluding DL 763, some AA 777 seats, UA 77HD 2-4-2 setup). I'm 5'11/165 and have never felt cramped at all in the D1 seat (either A359, 777 version before they retired, or the doorless 764 version). I am also among the group who likes the door because it feels a little more private and I also appreciate the size of the screen. My biggest beef is that while the screen is "HD", I don't find that to be the case in reality.

That said I did recently have my first two Polaris hard product experiences and I was very impressed by the hard product. I had previously experienced Polaris soft product but with the old UA hard product (both 2-4-2 on the 777 and the 2-2-2 on the 789) but Polaris hard product was very good.

It's been some time but I've also flown the AA 777 hard product (both versions) and as long as you get a good seat (7L for example) I am perfectly fine with both versions.

Honestly the two worst J seats I've flown in the past 18 months are:

DL 763 -- sure it was nice to have 1A on JFK - SFO and much better than any domestic F seat but the screen is terrible, the controls never work, and it's just old and tired
LH A359 -- no excuse given how new this plane is but the LH J seats are awful. The open 2-2-2 setup is absurd and the only saving grace was having the one empty J seat being the one next to me. Even though the LH J soft product is marginally better than the UA J soft product, I would take Polaris 10/10 times
physicsdude likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I liked the way on DL widebodies, D1 was 100% direct aisle access---but this isn't true any more, thanks to the used aircraft DL bought.

I was always happy with the 777 and A330 seats, but I never liked the 767, where the seats seemed too hard to me. I'm not a fan of the A350, perhaps partly because on my first flight on these new birds, my suite door got stuck. Since then, I tend not to close the door and I'm not happy if a FA closes it when I'm sleeping.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
Originally Posted by MS02113
Delta provisioned San Pellegrino in business pre-COVID. But to your point, have to imagine that at least club soda is available now.
Liquors are lacking also, at least in domestic F. I don't believe D1 carries a variety of liquors There's no SCOTCH or RUM or CANADIAN CLUB. Seems they would bring those back as in pre-covid as they are very common beverages. As I fly (very often!!!) I continually hear passengers asking for various beverages (non-alcohol and alcohol) and they aren't available. Doesn't seem it would be a major issue to stock the closet better considering the F/D-1 airfares and the mega-charge for any miniature bottle in Y.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I liked the way on DL widebodies, D1 was 100% direct aisle access---but this isn't true any more, thanks to the used aircraft DL bought.
If that's the biggest gripe, seems pretty minor? It affects <5% of the widebody fleet, is temporary, in place on very specific routes barring IRROPS, and 2/3 of those seats still have aisle access (and 50% of them without the hassle of someone needing to climb over you).
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
How does the Delta One suite compare to the BA Club suite?
I’ve flown both a few times over the past year and I prefer the BA club suites:

D1: seat feels narrower with the arm rest that doesn’t move, shoulder area is narrower, seat is harder, too close to (often old) IFE screen. Better pillow and blanket.

Club Suites: adjustable arm rest (so feels more spacious for side sleeping), broader shoulder area, better side storage area, seat slightly softer for longer sleeping, better distance from IFE screen. BA are a lot more strict about no bags/shoes/bedding stored in the seat area for takeoff/landing if you care about that.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:35 pm

I really enjoy flying DL’s A350 and I find the Delta One Suites really awesome. 🙂
Synapseturquoise and PanAmSam like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
While I am a huge Delta fan, I am not a huge fan of the D1 suites...they feel cramped to me and the seat/bed is quite low to the ground. That said, I am 6'3" and 200 lbs, and I can image someone smaller than me feeling just fine in these seats. My last flight was on the A350 from ICN to ATL in 2019 and I've since avoided flying it. I have flown the domestic "D1" to HNL a few times - the old product was very comfortable to me, albeit quite worn. To Asia, I prefer KE hands down; to the ME, I have liked EY and EK (preference for EY) - haven't tried QR yet; to Europe, I usually take Air France or KLM and have been happy with them, though I tend not to fly J to Europe outside of a solid deal - the eastbound is just too short for me to sleep!
John Portland likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: communist, liberal and love Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup
I find that aside from extra storage space for inflight necessities (ipad, laptop, book, phone, readers...), they are the Emperor's New Clothes of the skies. Not sure how they pulled off naming them "Suites"...I mean really. It is indeed a premium product compared to PS etc. that inherently limits contact with travel partner. I can see that as a good thing if flying solo. Doors? oh cmon...it's a sliding shutter that enhances claustrophobia and does nothing to keep anyone from looking down and in to the ahem..."Suites". Lighting is kinda cool. Thass all I got.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
What exact plane were you on?

1) I do agree that for sleeping, most of the D1 product is behind other peers
2) The JFK Lounge situation for D1 has become an issue - Delta is building a D1 only lounge at the airport

I general, I think most people who like Delta value the domestic experience - domestic SkyClubs (bigger clubs in more locations), good domestic planes, relatively good service, etc. The long haul experience, relative to UA and AA, isn't as distinctive on Delta metal. FWIW I haven't flown the A350 suites, so I can't rate those planes (most of my Delta long hauls are on various A330, B764, etc).

I do know people dislike the 763, and they are old and tired, but I don't really mind them because they are all aisle access, and I am typically flying those birds during the day so I am never even reclining.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84
How does the Delta One suite compare to the BA Club suite?
haven't had a chance to fly the club suite on BA. IIRC its a pretty close model to the Qsuite though, someone can correct me if im wrong
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:49 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The JFK Lounge situation for D1 has become an issue - Delta is building a D1 only lounge at the airport
A bit issue for international J passengers I would say, at least for the remainder of the summer until traffic dies down a bit - haven’t heard issues of lines for the AA Flagship Lounge at JFK or the UA Polaris Lounge at EWR.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I miss the old BizE lazyboy type chairs.
YeeeeEEEESSSS! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Originally Posted by darkrider
Thanks so much for the thoughts all. Glad I’m not alone in this experience. The oddity of the DL experience made me feel like I missed something. I will be flying Air France in J back to states so hopefully that will be better. I’ve flown Real Polaris on different aircraft and always found that seat wide enough and comfortable.
It's kind of hit and miss with AF too though. I'm not sure if the equipment has changed since last fall on AF681, but if it's still the same, the business class seats on their A359 were a joke. The food made up for it but the seat was worn significantly. I recall it was an itchy fabric, and even though I'm 6', 175lbs I felt like I was in a coffin when I fully reclined. With D1, I personally prefer the standard D1 seats over the suites. I just like to be able to survey the cabin every now and then.

I've been debating status matching over to UA for a year since I fly paid business class and they're cheaper, but I couldn't get anyone on the UA forum to entertain any questions, so I just "go with what I know" and keep on keeping on with Delta.

Last edited by photojojo; Jul 13, 2022 at 7:18 pm
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by photojojo
YeeeeEEEESSSS! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

It's kind of hit and miss with AF too though. I'm not sure if the equipment has changed since last fall on AF681, but if it's still the same, the business class seats on their A359 were a joke. The food made up for it but the seat was worn significantly. I recall it was an itchy fabric, and even though I'm 6', 175lbs I felt like I was in a coffin when I fully reclined. With D1, I personally prefer the standard D1 seats over the suites. I just like to be able to survey the cabin every now and then.

I've been debating status matching over to UA for a year since I fly paid business class and they're cheaper, but I couldn't get anyone on the UA forum to entertain any questions, so I just "go with what I know" and keep on keeping on with Delta.
You aren't. For a lot of BOS/JFK to Europe and most of the Transcon stuff lie-flats just don't do anything for me. I'm not sleeping on a day time LAX-JFK flight. Even on a "over night" short haul Europe flight, I might sleep but its more of a nap. I'd much rather have a big plush lazy-boy chair I can watch a movie in, eat dinner, do some work and maybe snooze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.