Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is going to happen to the massive MQM balance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is going to happen to the massive MQM balance?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by carzin
I currently have 180,000 MQMs. I am platinum, not diamond, as I don't fly or spend enough to qualify for diamond. As I am spending on my Amex reserve, I will probably earn at least 60k more MQM by the end of the year. Should I start gifting these things? I don't know what Delta is going to do with the huge balance they've allowed to roll over year after year after this year.
So if you get the 60K plus the 180K, you'll finish at 240,000 total MQMs.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I think, under the normal roll over rules, then for 2023 you would be a PM and then roll over 165,000MQMs. So 240K minus the 75K MQMS.
Again, I am going off of my thoughts so someone correct me if I am wrong but if in 2023 you hit either A) the MQD number for PM B) the AMEX card spend waver for PM, even if you don't fly a single MQM, you would still qualify for PM for 2024 and roll over 90,000 MQMs. In which case if you again hit the MQD options in 2024, you would be a 2025 PM without flying a single MQM and for 2026 roll over 15,000 MQMs.

I am pretty sure that is how it worked in the past. What will almost certainly not happen this year is you rolling over PM and 240,000 MQMs.

Having said all of that, how in the HELL do y'all fly that much and not spend $15,000 bucks on Delta? Just flying 100% for work with no way to buy 15K worth of tickets on your own(ie get your job to reimburse you?)
Sorry where I work I have the option to buy the ticket and then get reimbursed, or I can put them on the company card. For me the MQD part is easy, the MQM/MQS part is the hard part.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
I have put the reserve card away. Like you, I have a a ton of MQMs and will not hit the $15K MQD spend to make Diamond, so will stay Platinum and roll forward. To be honest - I'm not even sure I would want Diamond. The extra 50 MQMs to start 2023 might be worth more.
Spiff and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
There are plenty who are content with PM status and don't particularly feel the compulsion to go for DM (even with large MQM balances). Probably more so with GUC devalue. Hitting the Amex $25K MQD Waiver spend threshold isn't much of a challenge for most.
PM is a complete joke and a very low bar. Anyone who travels infrequently could have hit 25,000 MQM per year for the past 3 years with butt in seat plus MQM boosts. And spending just over $2,000 per month for 2022 on Amex is not a heavy lift at all. So the PM ranks will be completely flooded next year.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'll finish this year with at least 525K MQM. Due to many KLM and DL cancellations my MQD's barely qualify for FO. I have made the AMEX Waiver so I'll be a PM for 2023. I intend to keep my revenue flying at a minimum for the remainder of the year. I'll do some MQD runs in January and qualify as a DM for 2024.

Yes, I lose 1 year of Choice Benefits but they don't have much value for me. If it works well I'll do the same - not requalify as a DM in 2024 for the 2025 year and use MQD runs in January 2025 for 2026 DM.

I'm hoping there'll be a more stable travel environment next year and also anticipate that fares aren't going down since salaries are goin up substantiall, fuel will still be costly and other costs will be high.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I'll finish this year with at least 525K MQM. Due to many KLM and DL cancellations my MQD's barely qualify for FO. I have made the AMEX Waiver so I'll be a PM for 2023. I intend to keep my revenue flying at a minimum for the remainder of the year. I'll do some MQD runs in January and qualify as a DM for 2024.

Yes, I lose 1 year of Choice Benefits but they don't have much value for me. If it works well I'll do the same - not requalify as a DM in 2024 for the 2025 year and use MQD runs in January 2025 for 2026 DM.

I'm hoping there'll be a more stable travel environment next year and also anticipate that fares aren't going down since salaries are goin up substantiall, fuel will still be costly and other costs will be high.
I'm thinking about exactly the same thing - Diamond at the start of every other year (not sure I'll complete it all in January for the MQDs or waiver).
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

Having said all of that, how in the HELL do y'all fly that much and not spend $15,000 bucks on Delta? Just flying 100% for work with no way to buy 15K worth of tickets on your own(ie get your job to reimburse you?)
Sorry where I work I have the option to buy the ticket and then get reimbursed, or I can put them on the company card. For me the MQD part is easy, the MQM/MQS part is the hard part.
I don't know--my MQD numbers are never very high and I have 200,000+ MQMs. I don't purchase FC tix and I don't fly much internationally since COVID. Seems like I have a lot of $300-600 tix and when you back out the taxes, fees and stuff that get excluded from MQDs, it takes a lot of those to hit $15k. I wish I got credit for the MQDs my family earns--they never really get status because they only do leisure travel but I feel like I spend a *fortune* every time I book flights for a vacation. I could use their MQDs a lot more than they can, and I'm the one paying for the tickets...
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Re: getting rid of DL AmEx cards: Remember that there are still MQD requirements. Because I won't be meeting the spend requirement for PM, I'll need to put at least 25K on a DL AmEx
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by safigan
Re: getting rid of DL AmEx cards: Remember that there are still MQD requirements. Because I won't be meeting the spend requirement for PM, I'll need to put at least 25K on a DL AmEx
Now you see the value to them of the rollovers.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctsgoblue
I don't know--my MQD numbers are never very high and I have 200,000+ MQMs. I don't purchase FC tix and I don't fly much internationally since COVID. Seems like I have a lot of $300-600 tix and when you back out the taxes, fees and stuff that get excluded from MQDs, it takes a lot of those to hit $15k. I wish I got credit for the MQDs my family earns--they never really get status because they only do leisure travel but I feel like I spend a *fortune* every time I book flights for a vacation. I could use their MQDs a lot more than they can, and I'm the one paying for the tickets...
I do fly internationally, but unfortunately I just can't use Delta usually because their prices and miles are just in the stratosphere whenever I look. But I would prefer Delta even for a mild premium.

My reason I can't easily hit the MQDs is that now I get MQMs on award tickets, so I'm working to steadily burn through my and my family's stack of RDM. Yes, we get some MQDs for these, but not a lot.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm thinking about exactly the same thing - Diamond at the start of every other year (not sure I'll complete it all in January for the MQDs or waiver).
I know a few people who schedule MQD runs on partners in January to make the $15K. There's one who does one massive, seemingly never ending trip, actually 3 trips strung together, to get it done in a week. I'm planning on 2 domestic TCON days on Award tickets for $10-11K MQD and 1 partner TATL 2 day in F for the remainder. I have credits to use for that so my out of pocket $ will be minor.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sorry where I work I have the option to buy the ticket and then get reimbursed, or I can put them on the company card. For me the MQD part is easy, the MQM/MQS part is the hard part.[/QUOTE]

My company makes us use our corporate Mastercard to book all of our flights, hotels, etc. I just hit the $15k MQD mark last week and will finish the year around $30-$32 MQDs. Not even close to enough to hit 360 so anything I spend over $15,001 technically does me no good. I won't try and split or status match with another airline because Delta has been really good to me over the years. I have been DM every year since its inception.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ctsgoblue

same here. Lots of work travel is eastern seaboard so even last minute tickets are $250- $400. Leisure travel I book far enough in advance that total ticket cost is ~$400 for domestic, ~$700 for international main but then taxes mean that’s about $350 MQD and $575 MQD. Work doesn’t allow for premium cabins which is where the real MQD is
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coast_2_coast
same here. Lots of work travel is eastern seaboard so even last minute tickets are $250- $400. Leisure travel I book far enough in advance that total ticket cost is ~$400 for domestic, ~$700 for international main but then taxes mean that’s about $350 MQD and $575 MQD. Work doesn’t allow for premium cabins which is where the real MQD is
Right - I never pay for anything beyond main cabin domestically, and then when I do pay for business internationally, it's rarely on Delta.

Domestic main just doesn't produce the needed revenue.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by carzin
vtgambler: I don't know how many times they will roll them. By the end of the year, I'll have over 200k, like you. That would essentially guarantee me platinum for at least 3 more years, but part of me thinks they are going to expire some stuff. I think xliioper has the best idea. Get a different card for the rest of the year.
I dumped my Reserve card. I enjoyed the club benefits, and additional MQMs, when I was traveling a lot, but I'm not traveling much right now. The $550 annual fee is way to much to be earning 1 Skypeso/dollar. So I agree you can do much better for your spending on other cards. If I don't think I can hit the MQD to keep PM next year, I'll pick up a Delta Platinum (with signup bonus) and put $25K on that.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
PM is a complete joke and a very low bar. Anyone who travels infrequently could have hit 25,000 MQM per year for the past 3 years with butt in seat plus MQM boosts. And spending just over $2,000 per month for 2022 on Amex is not a heavy lift at all. So the PM ranks will be completely flooded next year.
I agree that PM will continue to be watered down for at least another year, and probably more. On my last few trips, upgrade lists have been ridiculous even on pedestrian domestic routes.
dmarge18 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.