Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Siri calls fake DL call center - scams friend out of $125

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Siri calls fake DL call center - scams friend out of $125

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Still don’t think there was any scam. “Siri call Delta” produces 2 legit numbers for me and $125 is the correct actual name change fee.

Statman, lindros2 and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
"Siri call Delta Customer Service" might lead to different numbers. Some of these scam outfits have multiple names that sound very much like the legitimate airline. There was a biggish thread on this in the UA forum a couple years ago.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"Siri call Delta Customer Service" might lead to different numbers. Some of these scam outfits have multiple names that sound very much like the legitimate airline. There was a biggish thread on this in the UA forum a couple years ago.
So the real question is whether the name on the reservation got changed or not, isn't it?

If it did, isn't the charge likely legitimate, particularly if the charge is from Delta Airlines?
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I turned Siri off because it kept responding when I wasn't trying to ask it anything, such as when I was talking to someone. Very annoying.
Siri's timing and comprehension isn't always the best...

Last edited by nk15; Jul 4, 2022 at 9:41 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:43 am

Isn't the easiest way to see whether it was a scam number for the OP to say how long she was on hold with the first call. If they picked up right away that would not be the real Delta.
lindros2, wrp96, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
But these assistants are ubiquitous and mature enough that most people wouldn't think they'd connect you to a scammer. .
I wouldn't consider Siri, Cortana, or Javanka mature forms of AI, but rather primitive early models with limited human-like capacities...
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nk15
I wouldn't consider Siri, Cortana, or Javanka mature forms of AI, but rather primitive early models with limited human-like capacities...
I don't consider any of these AI. They're assistants, nothing more. Sometimes they do good, sometimes not so.
nk15 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Isn't the easiest way to see whether it was a scam number for the OP to say how long she was on hold with the first call. If they picked up right away that would not be the real Delta.
“we’ll call you back within … 900 minutes … when it’s your turn..”
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
This is why I keep Google Assistant off on my Android phone - plugged into my car running Android Auto, it often use to reply to the music I was playing!

But these assistants are ubiquitous and mature enough that most people wouldn't think they'd connect you to a scammer. Most would also expect asking for "Delta" means the airline, as this would be far and away the most common use in this context.
Not if you are having a problem with your faucet. www.deltafaucet.com

They even have a customer service number - 1-800-345-DELTA (3358)

But I bet they can't fix your name on your plane ticket.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I don't consider any of these AI. They're assistants, nothing more. Sometimes they do good, sometimes not so.
You're missing my best jokes...Or you are even funnier, or both...
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Not if you are having a problem with your faucet. www.deltafaucet.com
Or if you're booking a hotel in Canada.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also a Delta Logistics in ND, which seems to be a trucking and warehouse firm.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
There are actually more Delta by Marriott hotels in the US than Canada now.
ijgordon and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 6:24 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Although the chain originated in Canada, after the Marriott acquisition there are now 45 US locations compared to 39 in Canada plus some locations in other countries.

https://delta-hotels.marriott.com/our-locations/

Originally Posted by Horace
Last year [post from 2016 -- Zorak], Marriott International decided to position the Delta Hotels brand as Marriott's full-service 4-star conversion brand.

A conversion brand allows a hotel owner to reflag a property without adhering to the full standards of a new-build. That doesn't mean low standards, just different standards. For example, if a hotel can keep its existing HVAC system instead of tearing it out and starting over, it can be reflagged at a lower cost.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
All of the “other Delta’s” are missing the point.
OP says Siri called Delta, someone took $125 on AMEX to change name, then when they called back their number was blocked, and name wasn’t changed.
and OP won’t post the phone number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.