Pilots Picketing Today

Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Pilots Picketing Today

Anyone seen them today? Off duty pilots are demonstrating at LAX, SEA, SLC, MSP, DTW, JFK and ATL. On duty pilots are also supposedly not wearing their hats today in a show of unity against the company.

https://www.alpa.org/news-and-events...a-hubs-june-30
coast_2_coast likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:29 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Certainly not good PR, especially going into a holiday weekend. I bet the average traveler doesnt realize its really hard for airline workers to actually strike.

becks1 and coast_2_coast like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
Not to be a contrarian but why are pilots any different than individual professionals? If one doesnt like the work environment, isnt it that persons choice to look for alternate employment or profession?

I understand that pilots have chosen to form a union and thus they operate under that framework. The same option could be pursued within other professions yet the approach is typically stated that such professionals should just seek alternate employment if they are dissatisfied with their work (e.g., pay, hours, etc.)
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I flew out of ATL today and I didn't see anything. I was looking too, because I heard they were going to be picketing.

The pilot on my flight that I saw was wearing his hat...
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Will the typical airline customer think that this is bad PR for the pilots or bad PR for DL? "My flight is cancelled/delayed for a holiday weekend because of a shortage of pilots, yet I see pilots on the picket line. They should be flying instead of marching." Yes, I realize that these are off-duty pilots, but how many people are aware of this? And how many would think that if they're so exhausted by overwork, they should be resting instead of picketing?

BTW, this doesn't seem to be the lead story in the local news, although it was mentioned this morning (also in the newspaper) with a short video about halfway through the local news just now.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:48 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by cre95
Not to be a contrarian but why are pilots any different than individual professionals? If one doesnt like the work environment, isnt it that persons choice to look for alternate employment or profession?
I get where you are coming from but at the same time, the last thing DL (or its passengers!) want is pilots leaving the airline at a time when the airlines cant even staff the schedules theyve put out.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

I understand that pilots have chosen to form a union and thus they operate under that framework. The same option could be pursued within other professions yet the approach is typically stated that such professionals should just seek alternate employment if they are dissatisfied with their work (e.g., pay, hours, etc.)
There is huge seniority incentive to stay at the same major once you are there. Every day counts toward better trips, time off, base, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL PM
Just boarded in DTW and didnt notice anything.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Certainly not good PR, especially going into a holiday weekend. I bet the average traveler doesn’t realize it’s really hard for airline workers to actually strike.

https://twitter.com/staceysager7/sta...oSCynJE9DxjXoQ
Its not really hard, its impossible.
We've done this with a lot of the same people when Obama was president. NMB has already said the big 4 are too big to allow a strike for their employees AND the regionals that fly for them, just ask Endeavor.
That is why you see airline employee groups go 5-6-7-8-9 years without a contract and why you see very little positive movement in terms of work rules and quality of life.

Its also why you are flying on airplanes with maintenance done by the lowest bidder with no FAA oversight (thanks Bill Clinton) and its up to the airlines to enforce simply things like drug testing.

/rant
Not to be a contrarian but why are pilots any different than individual professionals? If one doesn’t like the work environment, isn’t it that person’s choice to look for alternate employment or profession?

to answer your question with a question, and go......where? United and Southwest pilots are picketing too, and its about to get ugly at United when this TA gets voted down. The APA (American) literally just asked to FAA to step in and watch American management because of over working employees......so go ahead, everyone at Delta either shuts up and is happy or quits and goes to...........?

Its not airline labors fault you choose not to organize or go into a field/position where your only choice is to quit. \_(ツ)_/

Last edited by ryandc99; Jul 5, 2022 at 8:41 pm Reason: Mod Edit - removed inflammatory line
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
to answer your question with a question, and go......where?
Different profession Reinvent themselves?

I didnt say I would see them staying as a pilot. Many people train in one field, work on it for a few years and then decide to move to an alternate field. Its really up to each person to decide what fits their needs.

Last edited by cre95; Jun 30, 2022 at 5:58 pm
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will the typical airline customer think that this is bad PR for the pilots or bad PR for DL? "My flight is cancelled/delayed for a holiday weekend because of a shortage of pilots, yet I see pilots on the picket line. They should be flying instead of marching."
Thats my thinking. I believe I read an article recently that career earnings for an airline pilot are in the $10 million range. Doesnt seem too shabby!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:56 pm

Different profession… Reinvent themselves?

I didn’t say I would see them staying as a pilot. I for one trained in one field, worked on it for a few years and then decided to move to an alternate field. It’s really up to you to decide what fits your needs.
Oh.... okay. makes sense. Lets throw years of school, years of flight school down the drain.

Logical. Very Very logical
Old Jun 30, 2022, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Targeted Twitter ad at the SLC airport

Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Different profession Reinvent themselves?

I didnt say I would see them staying as a pilot. Many people train in one field, work on it for a few years and then decide to move to an alternate field. Its really up to each person to decide what fits their needs.
Why don't they just change professions? Ummm because they have a union and don't have to. You answered your own question of why they have a union, it's because if they didn't have a union they'd have to change their profession...

There are very few professions where there's really very few exit opportunities from that profession into other professional level work. One is pilots. Another is professional athletes. They both have unions.
emma dog and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:29 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I agree with jetsfan.

The concept that one group should behave differently than another because of skills and college degree is quaint. Perhaps once upon a time management treated college educated folks better and pay disparity between this group of workers and the top werent so great. However, even in my own industry, times have changed such that top leadership earn 20x-40x what their professional class earns AND they treat this group like replaceable cogs.

After $100k+ and years of education, I dont see many skilled professionals being able to magically switch into something better. Its just not that easy, especially when this management style is pervasive across industries.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.