Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots Picketing Today

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cre95
Not to be a contrarian but why are pilots any different than individual professionals? If one doesn’t like the work environment, isn’t it that person’s choice to look for alternate employment or profession?
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
But pilots are well aware of that before choosing this career path. It's a choice they made. No one forced them. They also like to play on the heart strings and talk about the family time that they miss. Again, that was their choice. They prioritized wanting to be a pilot over spending time with their family. It's not something that caught them by surprise when they got hired. They are compensated exceptionally well.

This is naive. The pilots are in a business relationship with their employer and under current conditions, they have the upper hand and are using it. If there were massive amounts of pilots and not enough jobs for all of them, airlines would have the upper hand and would be using it. Union or not, this is a commonplace business practice. No need to stand in moral judgment about what they are doing, it's really just basic business negotiations. Yes, leaving is a choice, and so is staying and trying to leverage what power you have to get what you want.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This is naive. The pilots are in a business relationship with their employer and under current conditions, they have the upper hand and are using it. If there were massive amounts of pilots and not enough jobs for all of them, airlines would have the upper hand and would be using it. Union or not, this is a commonplace business practice. No need to stand in moral judgment about what they are doing, it's really just basic business negotiations. Yes, leaving is a choice, and so is staying and trying to leverage what power you have to get what you want.
I suppose but this is certainly a dangerous game to play during times of economic uncertainty. All it would take is for one airline (aside from the likes of Beeeze, Sun Country, etc) to go under to turn the tide. I hope they've been saving up while times have been good. I'm in favor of no more mergers, no more bailouts, and let the chips fall where they may. A reset of the industry wouldn't be the worst idea.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
They are always free to say no to the overtime (can't imagine ALPA would allow mandatory overtime) or even call in sick/fatigued if they change their minds later.
Free to say no, sure. Pressured into doing something is another things and something that corporations love to do. It's why there is quite a large 'antiwork' movement happening. Ever feel bad for calling in sick? If not, congrats, but millions of people do because they are pressured by their employers to work while sick, work OT, etc.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Certainly not good PR, especially going into a holiday weekend. I bet the average traveler doesn’t realize it’s really hard for airline workers to actually strike.
Earlier in the week, a on the local news a TV station here in Tampa kept running a chyron saying "Delta pilots to strike on Thursday." (I couldn't hear the story; I could just see the chyron with stock footage of DL aircraft on a TV with no sound while I was at the gym.) I guess they confused "picketing" and "striking."

Originally Posted by cre95
Not to be a contrarian but why are pilots any different than individual professionals? If one doesn’t like the work environment, isn’t it that person’s choice to look for alternate employment or profession?
Yes it is their choice. It is also their choice under US labor law to leverage their collective bargaining power. Maybe they do like their work environment, but want to make it even better?

When my company was making noises about coming back to the office after Covid, I told my boss that if I were required to do that, I would quit and find another job. Guess what, I am still in the same job (which I like), but am now permanent WFH. Should I have just quit and changed jobs (going through the misery of a job search, interviews, etc.) or professions (going back to school, getting another professional degree, starting over in the job market with training and no experience, etc.) instead?

Last edited by Bear96; Jul 1, 2022 at 7:29 am
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:35 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
This thread has run its course.

Ryandc99
Moderator Delta Air Lines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.