Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots Picketing Today

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Some A350 pilots were closing in at around $900,000 as reported on airlinepilotforums.com. The rest well into the hundreds of thousands a year. But yes let's stomp around the airport like spoiled children. There are people who are truly struggling and feeling the impact of inflation. This is a slap in the face to those families.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by cre95
Not to be a contrarian but why are pilots any different than individual professionals? If one doesn’t like the work environment, isn’t it that person’s choice to look for alternate employment or profession?

I understand that pilots have chosen to form a union and thus they operate under that framework. The same option could be pursued within other professions yet the approach is typically stated that such professionals should just seek alternate employment if they are dissatisfied with their work (e.g., pay, hours, etc.)
You understand that they have a union but you don't understand why they don't act like people in other jobs without a union?
Bear96 and Dawgfan6291 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will the typical airline customer think that this is bad PR for the pilots or bad PR for DL? "My flight is cancelled/delayed for a holiday weekend because of a shortage of pilots, yet I see pilots on the picket line. They should be flying instead of marching."
yes, lots of troglodytes who expect their servants to bow and scrape constantly will get mad at pilots
Adam1222 and Dawgfan6291 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
There is huge seniority incentive to stay at the same major once you are there. Every day counts toward better trips, time off, base, etc.
But pilots are well aware of that before choosing this career path. It's a choice they made. No one forced them. They also like to play on the heart strings and talk about the family time that they miss. Again, that was their choice. They prioritized wanting to be a pilot over spending time with their family. It's not something that caught them by surprise when they got hired. They are compensated exceptionally well.
JNelson113, cre95 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:13 am

Different profession… Reinvent themselves?

I didn’t say I would see them staying as a pilot. Many people train in one field, work on it for a few years and then decide to move to an alternate field. It’s really up to each person to decide what fits their needs.
what a bizzare worldview, if you aren't 100% happy with something, your only option is to quit and change careers? lol ok bud.
Dawgfan6291 and VacationMode like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Like everyone else these days.

They want more pay and less work.

They don't get to work from home like most white collar workers these days.
emma dog likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Not to be a contrarian but why are pilots any different than individual professionals? If one doesn’t like the work environment, isn’t it that person’s choice to look for alternate employment or profession?

I understand that pilots have chosen to form a union and thus they operate under that framework. The same option could be pursued within other professions yet the approach is typically stated that such professionals should just seek alternate employment if they are dissatisfied with their work (e.g., pay, hours, etc.)
I'm not sure what country you are from, but even in the United States, many professions are unionized.

If you simply disagree with the concept of unionization, I don't think that is on topic. But it would be better for anyone (Delta, its employees, or its customers) for Deltas pilots to simply quit in mass rather than attempt to reach an agreement about terms and conditions of work.
emma dog and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
But pilots are well aware of that before choosing this career path. It's a choice they made. No one forced them. They also like to play on the heart strings and talk about the family time that they miss. Again, that was their choice. They prioritized wanting to be a pilot over spending time with their family. It's not something that caught them by surprise when they got hired. They are compensated exceptionally well.
dude if you think pilots make too much money then here's some advice, fire all the pilots that are working for you and go hire new ones.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Different profession… Reinvent themselves?

I didn’t say I would see them staying as a pilot. Many people train in one field, work on it for a few years and then decide to move to an alternate field. It’s really up to each person to decide what fits their needs.
They have that option. They also have the option to negotiate with their employer for a better deal to stay. Why do you have an issue with that?

Have you never asked for a raise before? You just change professions? Reinvent yourself?

If it's up to each person why are you complaining about what others do?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
dude if you think pilots make too much money then here's some advice, fire all the pilots that are working for you and go hire new ones.
I said they are paid exceptionally well. Why do you take that to mean I think they are overpaid? These pilots are making as much if not more than some of Delta's senior management. But people like to often claim all management is overpaid. Every new generation of aircraft becomes easier to operate. Workload has decreased dramatically since the days of the 727, DC-8, etc and work rules have become significantly more lenient with increased rest hours and crew augmentation. Yet the pilots never seem to be satisfied and are constantly upset about one thing or another. Meanwhile managements job hasn't gotten any easier at all. Every quarter shareholders demand even better performance than the last even when you don't have two dimes to rub together.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I said they are paid exceptionally well. Why do you take that to mean I think they are overpaid? These pilots are making as much if not more than some of Delta's senior management. But people like to often claim all management is overpaid. Every new generation of aircraft becomes easier to operate. Workload has decreased dramatically since the days of the 727, DC-8, etc and work rules have become significantly more lenient with increased rest hours and crew augmentation. Yet the pilots never seem to be satisfied and are constantly upset about one thing or another. Meanwhile managements job hasn't gotten any easier at all. Every quarter shareholders demand even better performance than the last even when you don't have two dimes to rub together.
yes sounds like you're very well equiped to go into negotiations with your workforce, please let us know how it goes

pity the poor managers
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If it's up to each person why are you complaining about what others do?
you know why
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It seems to me the pilots are complaining about system staffing shortages and having to work overtime (which seems to be paid) more than they are complaining about compensation.

They seem to be saying I am willing to give up some $$$s to have more of a life.

That seems reasonable to me. Although, I’m not sure where DL management is going to make pilots magically appear.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:42 am

If you like what you do and where you work would you not want to try to get more money before leaving?

It costs like $100k to become a commercial pilot, kind of a hard pill to swallow to just 'look for alternate profession'.
KBMIFlyer and emma dog like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfabar1
It seems to me the pilots are complaining about system staffing shortages and having to work overtime (which seems to be paid) more than they are complaining about compensation.

They seem to be saying I am willing to give up some $$$s to have more of a life.

That seems reasonable to me. Although, I’m not sure where DL management is going to make pilots magically appear.
They are always free to say no to the overtime (can't imagine ALPA would allow mandatory overtime) or even call in sick/fatigued if they change their minds later.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.