VN PNR not working on website?

Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:01 am

Now I'm getting xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Tried again and their stupid callback system took over an hour to call me back when it said it would be 20 minutes. The xxxxxxt on the phone was more clueless than the chat rep. She hung up on me after about 10 minutes of wasting my time. Trying again. Sure is making Virgin Atlantic look good.

Last edited by obscure2k; Jul 2, 2023 at 6:56 pm Reason: Profanity
Old Jul 2, 2023, 5:30 am

"We don't contact our partners. You have to call them. Here's the number in Vietnam"

Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:24 pm

Vietnam email support came back with the same unusable PNR. Cancelled the flight.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AS 100K
I had exactly the same sort of experience on my trip a couple of weeks ago.

I had two separate reservations with VN: I booked the first one with VN directly, and the other was booked as an award with Delta.

Award reservation had only Delta reservation code, so I had to call Delta to get VN reservation code. No luck retrieving the award booking either on VNs site or application, and zero issues with the paid one.

Called VN (or used their chat?), and they were able to retrieve my reservation and assign the seats I wanted. Of course, I asked what was the issue with their site and application.

Rep said it was a known issue for them: Delta doesnt share your email address with them and its required to access your booking online.

Everything went perfect, I was able to take all the flights, and the service was great. I took both trips ~2-3 weeks ago. Thus, if Delta confirms the reservation on phone or via chat, theres nothing to worry about. Seat selection was not a biggie two: business in my three domestic widebody flights was filled less than 50%, the only a321 flight I took was booked for money, and I had been able to access it months ago before the trip.

P.S.: If you fly domestic or short-haul on their 359 in business as a solo traveler, Id strongly recommend even rows for window seats. It didnt matter on one of their flights, but for the other configuration, these seats offer more privacy.

Last edited by seryoga; Jul 5, 2023 at 7:12 am
Old Jul 5, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AS 100K
Heres the easiest way to chat with VN in their application: 1) hit three lines on top right, 2) use either of two options to start the chat.

Old Aug 27, 2023, 4:09 am

Partner Award Vietnam Airline and no access to reservation????

I am posting this here as well since I just found it!! After reading that many others have had the same experience with award travel on Vietnam Airlines and also worried about their bookings, WHY hasn't Delta solved the problem???? I booked a business class partner award ticket on Vietnam airlines going from LHR to HKG. I was unable to access the seating chart during and after making this booking. I immediately called Delta and asked them to assign them. The agent said she contacted Delta's world department and they are not allowed to access their system or assign seats. I asked her for my confirmation number with Vietnam airlines and she was able to give that to me. I then went to the Vietnam Airline website and it does not recognize the number Delta gave me. Hmmm? First I am surprised Delta has a partner that if anyone uses they will be unable to access the reservation or choose seats. I am not feeling confident that I can rely on this to get me to where I need to be by a certain date? I have gone on partner flights with AA and United and have never experienced this.
Solutions? What am I missing?
PS
I did send an email and used the chat function with Vietnam but still do not know if anything has happened since I cannot access the reservation.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
This is not specific to VN. It's been like this with every airline tickted by DL since the beginning of time. While for those coming from NW, since the downgrade from NWA/012 to Delta/006 tickets, the display of other airline PNRs has been purposefully removed by DL (where previously of course it used to be there right on the receipt). The data is there in the record, easily accessible. Every other airline (AA, UA, AS, LH, AC and so on - you name it) always displays the other airline PNRs, as they believe in customer self service and minimizing unnecessary points of contacts, Delta does not. It's part of Delta's strategy to maximize the customer points of contact with Delta and to make you need to call them for that absolutely essential piece of information: the actual operating airline PNR, which you need to select seats, check in, and do anything else.

Just call DL (may need to HUACA a few times, as DL seems to provide next to zero training for its phone and chat reps: it's staring them in the face, yet too many agents just seem completely oblivious to even this most basic and common part of their job) and ask them to give it to you. Stand your ground and insist, and validate it while they are on the phone.

Alternatively, if you can't pull it up by the 006 ticket number on the VN site, e-mail them, give the ticket #, your name, DoB, flight route, number and date and ask them to look up and give you their PNR. They will, and then you can use that to select seats, check in online, etc.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
This is not specific to VN. It's been like this with every airline tickted by DL since the beginning of time. While for those coming from NW, since the downgrade from NWA/012 to Delta/006 tickets, the display of other airline PNRs has been purposefully removed by DL (where previously of course it used to be there right on the receipt). The data is there in the record, easily accessible. Every other airline (AA, UA, AS, LH, AC and so on - you name it) always displays the other airline PNRs, as they believe in customer self service and minimizing unnecessary points of contacts, Delta does not. It's part of Delta's strategy to maximize the customer points of contact with Delta and to make you need to call them for that absolutely essential piece of information: the actual operating airline PNR, which you need to select seats, check in, and do anything else.

Just call DL (may need to HUACA a few times, as DL seems to provide next to zero training for its phone and chat reps: it's staring them in the face, yet too many agents just seem completely oblivious to even this most basic and common part of their job) and ask them to give it to you. Stand your ground and insist, and validate it while they are on the phone.
Just to reiterate this isnt always the case. My delta-provided VN pnr was not usable with VN and regardless of escalation no one anywhere was ever able to figure it out or sort it out. I cancelled the award ultimately.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by pesos
Just to reiterate this isn’t always the case. My delta-provided VN pnr was not usable with VN and regardless of escalation no one anywhere was ever able to figure it out or sort it out. I cancelled the award ultimately.
Chances are DL gave you just a random string of six characters and not the VN PNR (I've had it happen, with awards other than VN, more than once). The Delta res agents nowadays are not necessarily the brightest bunch (not their fault though, it's the nearly total lack of training or internal documentation).

Did you contact VN and ask them to check and confirm the ticket # (along with your flight number, route, date, name and DoB)? That would been the most constructive, have VN confirm it, if for some reason it won't pull up on their site and they can't add/save your e-mail to the record (if they need that), have them e-mail it to you.

VN is one of the best products for business class in SkyTeam, along with GA. One of the few remaining good values out of DL miles. I wouldn't cancel a VN flight just due to incompetent DL res; I'd just have VN check and confirm the ticket and e-mail me the confirmation from their side, manually select seats if need be.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 5:50 pm

Chances are DL gave you just a random string of six characters and not the VN PNR (I've had it happen, with awards other than VN, more than once). The Delta res agents nowadays are not necessarily the brightest bunch (not their fault though, it's the nearly total lack of training or internal documentation).

Did you contact VN and ask them to check and confirm the ticket # (along with your flight number, route, date, name and DoB)? That would been the most constructive, have VN confirm it, if for some reason it won't pull up on their site and they can't add/save your e-mail to the record (if they need that), have them e-mail it to you.

VN is one of the best products for business class in SkyTeam, along with GA. One of the few remaining good values out of DL miles. I wouldn't cancel a VN flight just due to incompetent DL res; I'd just have VN check and confirm the ticket and e-mail me the confirmation from their side, manually select seats if need be.
I got the same string multiple times from different reps including escalated ones. Also had the ticket number. Unusable with VN as was the other info you mention. Not a normal case (hopefully) but also has happened to others of late.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:23 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I booked Vietnam Airlines through Flying Blue and they actually assisted me getting seat assignments to their credit
There are 100 reasons I don't fly Delta or let family and friends fly Delta but they have all been discussed before
for many years here on Flyertalk.They scare me too not as much as Spirit but I avoid them both at all costs.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by pesos
I got the same string multiple times from different reps including escalated ones. Also had the ticket number. Unusable with VN as was the other info you mention. Not a normal case (hopefully) but also has happened to others of late.
It has happened before, with other airlines like MU, where DL books the ticket, but the PNR with operating carrier is non existent so at time of checkin you find out that you are not on the flight, with no seat and no record of you (same happens with others also, like UA has same problem with AC sometimes). That can be been difficult to impossible to solve on day of travel with limited time and numerous escalations levels needed (like revenue management at operating carrier). If so, cancelling was the right move. This is precisely why it is always imperative to get the OA PNR and ensure it works; if not (sometimes it just may not load on their site as a 006 ticket) ask them to check by that and ticket number and confirm.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 3:00 am

It has happened before, with other airlines like MU, where DL books the ticket, but the PNR with operating carrier is non existent so at time of checkin you find out that you are not on the flight, with no seat and no record of you (same happens with others also, like UA has same problem with AC sometimes). That can be been difficult to impossible to solve on day of travel with limited time and numerous escalations levels needed (like revenue management at operating carrier). If so, cancelling was the right move. This is precisely why it is always imperative to get the OA PNR and ensure it works; if not (sometimes it just may not load on their site as a 006 ticket) ask them to check by that and ticket number and confirm.
Yes, had no confidence whatsoever in the morons-at-Delta's ability to supposedly sort it out in time so went with others instead (albeit w/connections).
Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:59 pm

Long shot that you would see this, but I wanted to ask how you got your preferred seats? They would only allocate me the free seats, not any of the "premium" ones. Am platinum/elite plus

Originally Posted by seryoga
I had exactly the same sort of experience on my trip a couple of weeks ago.

I had two separate reservations with VN: I booked the first one with VN directly, and the other was booked as an award with Delta.

Award reservation had only Delta reservation code, so I had to call Delta to get VN reservation code. No luck retrieving the award booking either on VN’s site or application, and zero issues with the paid one.

Called VN (or used their chat?), and they were able to retrieve my reservation and assign the seats I wanted. Of course, I asked what was the issue with their site and application.

Rep said it was a known issue for them: Delta doesn’t share your email address with them and it’s required to access your booking online.

Everything went perfect, I was able to take all the flights, and the service was great. I took both trips ~2-3 weeks ago. Thus, if Delta confirms the reservation on phone or via chat, there’s nothing to worry about. Seat selection was not a biggie two: business in my three domestic widebody flights was filled less than 50%, the only a321 flight I took was booked for money, and I had been able to access it months ago before the trip.

P.S.: If you fly domestic or short-haul on their 359 in business as a solo traveler, I’d strongly recommend even rows for window seats. It didn’t matter on one of their flights, but for the other configuration, these seats offer more privacy.
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:43 am

I was able to chat with VN's help desk on Facebook and select my seats. As others have said DL was no help and the VN website would not pull up my reservation no matter what I tried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.