Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta One Sale - 148K SkyMiles to Europe - Sale Ends Tomorrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta One Sale - 148K SkyMiles to Europe - Sale Ends Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Booked SAN-FRA for two

Originally Posted by WannabePBA
...Just make a booking as normal and use the price calendar. I searched a few more cities and found 148k as well for multiple weeks before booking what I
I agree with the suggestion. I booked two SAN-FRA tickets at sale price with good connections on A321's and A330's in October. I also booked a separate ticket for just myself in mid-December. Great time for Christmas markets! There is mid-week availability in October and first two weeks of December.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jun 29, 2022 at 12:11 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Delta Favors Redemption Sales Over Cash Sales

Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
Does delta ever have “cash” sales on delta one?
I've only noticed cash sales on dates with low business travel demand such as after Thanksgiving, early December, and after Christmas. Even then, those were sales with Air France and KLM as code-share options. Delta likes to dump seats on dates and routes with soft demand with these rare mileage redemption sales. Delta is less likely to trigger fare wars by dropping prices with their "funny money" instead of real money.

Short answer is "Delta does not have deeply discounted cash sales on Delta One." However, look at SEA-Flyer's posts a few up. He has specific recent fare examples that contradict what I said.
lindros2 and Kerrirdh like this.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jun 29, 2022 at 12:38 am Reason: Probable correction for cash fare sales I did not know about.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by traveler202
also, if I need to transfer AMEX MR to Delta , is this no longer a good redemption?
140k amex mr to europe rt J is not unicorn pricing by any means - that's just two *A saver legs booked via aeroplan. some of these routings might be more efficient or have much better availability (plus they earn mqm and mqd), and if you already have some of the skymiles you need I think it's a decent deal. for example, i see tons of availability on the DL JFK-ZRH nonstops, but LX saver space on the same route tends to be pretty hard to find.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I've only noticed cash sales on dates with low business travel demand such as after Thanksgiving, early December, and after Christmas. Even then, those were sales with Air France and KLM as code-share options. Delta likes to dump seats on dates and routes with soft demand with these rare mileage redemption sales. Delta is less likely to trigger fare wars by dropping prices with their "funny money" instead of real money.

Short answer is "Delta does not have deeply discounted cash sales on Delta One." However, look at SEA-Flyer's posts a few up. He has specific recent fare examples that contradict what I said.
DL coordinates TATL fares with AF/KL and also participated in these seasonal sales around holidays and late summer when business travel is slow. They had fairly heavy advance purchase requirements (typically 60 days) and required mid-week travel with Saturday night stays and were generally in the $2200 to $2600 range roundtrip. They were still in place early last summer, but they are no longer offering them as they seem to be capitalizing on heavy return of leisure travel demand. Below are the seasonal requirements from archived fare rules from these discounted D1 fares from last year at this time on ExpertFlyer.

Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by xliioper
There looks to be a companion PS award sale (for 74K roundtrip) going on with D1 flash sale. You can find PS awards for less than main cabin awards on some dates.

that's way better than ATL <> MUC (or HAM).

Note that I got 70k SM + $60, so most likely the add'l $60 is fuel surcharge.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
Does delta ever have “cash” sales on delta one?

is there a route from JFK that runs “reasonable”
thanks….
always day late…. Or few miles short lol
All the time: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals-740/

Definitely way more often than I see big discounts for D1 awards.

Originally Posted by atldiamond
But it's not. It's exactly comparable to the fare for the ticket you're purchasing with miles. Which is likely to be $7,000.
It's comical to say you should price the exact same flight in dollars and miles. Getting the low miles price requires significant sacrifice in terms of destination, season, routing, day, etc. You want the cash fare which requires similar diligence and sacrifice.

Originally Posted by atldiamond
When's the last time you saw a $1500-2200 roundtrip Delta One Ticket to Europe?
March? [PREM FARE GONE] YYZ-EUROPE/AFRICA $1500USD SkyTeam AF/KLM (okay, maybe SkyTeam, but should count as close enough)

Even when I am flying on a Sunday to Sunday, departing from a DL fortress hub which basically never discounts anything, a small amount of flexibility and planning keeps me well under $4k.
SEA-Flyer and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lindros2
that's way better than ATL <> MUC (or HAM).

Note that I got 70k SM + $60, so most likely the add'l $60 is fuel surcharge.
ATL-HAM involves partner metal and thus wouldn't qualify for the sale PS/D1 awards which must be 100% DL metal. Carrier surcharges are not charged on ex-US roundtrip awards (they would be broken out in fees if they were). 70K is roundtrip partner coach award rate (35K each way), sounds like maybe you are looking at that. The 74K roundtrip PS awards are also available from ATL. They can mixed with the sale D1 awards (37K PS award one-way and 74K D1 the other).

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 29, 2022 at 8:17 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
I'm trying to find 74k PS awards and I'm using the calendar, but whenever I click through to book, the lowest price from the flights shown is 119k. I'm looking at AUS-FRA. Am I doing something wrong?

Can't seem to get the image to work, but I'm looking at Nov 30 - Dec 12.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I'm trying to find 74k PS awards and I'm using the calendar, but whenever I click through to book, the lowest price from the flights shown is 119k. I'm looking at AUS-FRA. Am I doing something wrong?

Can't seem to get the image to work, but I'm looking at Nov 30 - Dec 12.
Not sure why it is showing 119K roundtrip pricing on outbound flights. However, if you actually select one of the outbound flights and then look at return flights, it reprices itin down to 74K miles roundtrip.
jetsfan92588 and PanAmSam like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:42 am

How do I access the price calendar on the Delta site? I see flexible dates but not price calendar.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by fishingcarlos
How do I access the price calendar on the Delta site? I see flexible dates but not price calendar.
Do a flexible date search, then look on the top of the results page and you'll see a link for a calendar on the upper left. The drop down to change the trip duration is on the upper right.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by jw1313
Do a flexible date search, then look on the top of the results page and you'll see a link for a calendar on the upper left. The drop down to change the trip duration is on the upper right.
thank you!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:21 am

I got the same flight, except FLL-DTW-MUC for the same 148k mile price.

Now to decide if it's really a good idea to bring a 1 year old on this flight to hold/sleep in D1....
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by xliioper
ATL-HAM involves partner metal and thus wouldn't qualify for the sale PS/D1 awards which must be 100% DL metal. Carrier surcharges are not charged on ex-US roundtrip awards (they would be broken out in fees if they were). 70K is roundtrip partner coach award rate (35K each way), sounds like maybe you are looking at that. The 74K roundtrip PS awards are also available from ATL. They can mixed with the sale D1 awards (37K PS award one-way and 74K D1 the other).
I'm not speculating here - I paid 70k miles for PS, with $65.77 (sorry, not $60) in taxes/fees, in May (or rather, in April for May). Formatting is crap, sorry.

====================
MILES SkyMiles #*******999 Miles Redeemed 70,000 Miles
CHARGES Air Transportation Charges Base Fare $0.00 USD
Taxes, Fees and Charges United States - September 11th Security Fee(Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee) (AY) $5.60 USD Netherlands - Security Service Charge (CJ) $14.40 USD Netherlands - Passenger Service Charge (RN) $20.00 USD Netherlands - Noise Isolation Charge (VV) $8.70 USD United States - Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Fee (APHIS User Fee - Passengers (XA) $3.96 USD United States - Immigration and Naturalization Fee(Immigration User Fee) (XY) $7.00 USD United States - Custom User Fee (YC) $6.11 USD
Total Charges $65.77 USD

TOTAL TICKET VALUE 70,000 Miles and $65.77 USD
====================
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
I was able to find much better connection times today, so booked LAX-DTW-MUC for October. Looking at ZRH too...so many miles, so little (vacation) time!
photojojo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.