Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drinks in comfort plus exit row

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:53 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Ordinarily, I would move along and not reply, as it none of my business... But you did put this in the public domain by posting the question....

A mini is 1.7 ounces of alcohol. Consuming 6 in a period of 3 hours equals 10.2 ounces of liquor. Based on that, at any weight category between 100 - 240 pounds you would be considered legally drunk.

Please do not drive when you arrive at your destination.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
How bad is it, that you need a drink every 30 minutes?
They're going to Vegas baby!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by bloc0102
several without me asking, I had to cut her off!
This is great... I've been in the same situation. It's like I'm at a frat party and I have to throw up the white flag!
cmd320 and VacationMode like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Plat
Decades ago my brother & I were on the upper deck of a 747 on another airline to Hawaii (I think from St. Louis). We drank them out of several different beers and were down to something from France when we finally landed. Our ride couldn't stop laughing at us as we staggered down the jetway.

They also gave me unlimited chocolate cake. That was a lovely flight.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by CycloneSteve
Decades ago my brother & I were on the upper deck of a 747 on another airline to Hawaii (I think from St. Louis). We drank them out of several different beers and were down to something from France when we finally landed. Our ride couldn't stop laughing at us as we staggered down the jetway.

They also gave me unlimited chocolate cake. That was a lovely flight.
My dad's only drinking story is somehow ending up in FC on a flight to Hawaii back in the 60s and getting so drunk that he fell asleep and lit himself on fire with his cigarette! Thankfully his buddy was still (somewhat) conscious and patted him out before it spread. It was both of their first trip to the islands and dad's friend never came back (or, at least only to visit). He turned into a weed farmer on the big island and lived there for 50+ years.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by h0und10
Flying MSP-LAS 3.5 hours 1300 miles on an a321
I know drink service has been spotty the last few years with the pandemic, different crews, inflation, and whatnot, but if I was hoping for a few (extra) drinks, would sitting in a non exit row help my chances?
Currently have the exit row booked (13F) but am thinking of switching to the bulkhead (row 10A)
Policy Wise - you can and should be served the same in the exit row as any other seat. As long as you do not appear to be intoxicated it’s fine. In theory - if you were served to much to sit in an exit row you were served to much period (per the FARs) I have had a passenger become overly intoxicated because a couple of crew members over served them and I ended up having to move her out of the exit row because she was not fit to sit there anymore
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I was on a Swiss flight right after 9/11 and the flight was empty, I had an entire section to myself. The flight attendant just kept serving me (beer). I took a little nap, woke up and there was a new beer sitting on my table and it resumed. I was pretty drunk when I got to Geneva (wasn’t driving, was actually transferring to another flight).
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Flyer0889
Policy Wise - you can and should be served the same in the exit row as any other seat. As long as you do not appear to be intoxicated it’s fine. In theory - if you were served to much to sit in an exit row you were served to much period (per the FARs) I have had a passenger become overly intoxicated because a couple of crew members over served them and I ended up having to move her out of the exit row because she was not fit to sit there anymore
I see what you're saying, but someone in an exit row may be called upon to help people safely evacuate the aircraft, which is a higher-level responsibility than just navigating off the flight.

I really became more aware of the responsibility of an exit row last year when I saw a lady seated in an exit row with a small child and an infant. In hindsight, that was completely inappropriate, and I should have reported it. People forget that an exit row isn't just about extra leg room.
m.y, MSPeconomist and mguinness like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I really became more aware of the responsibility of an exit row last year when I saw a lady seated in an exit row with a small child and an infant. In hindsight, that was completely inappropriate, and I should have reported it. People forget that an exit row isn't just about extra leg room.
I was on a flight recently in an exit row where the person next to me asked for a seatbelt extension. The FA brought him one and just gave it to him when technically per the FARs, he should have been moved from the exit row to another seat because the FARs prohibit anyone who requires a seatbelt extension from sitting in an exit row. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I did not say anything to the FA as I didn't want to be the one to embarrass the guy.
MSPeconomist and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Smile

Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
the first couple go quicker ;-)

And it makes the in flight entertainment more interesting lol
I agree, plus it makes tolerating the tee-totalers that are so judge-y easier (RJ).
cmd320 and VacationMode like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BigFishDave
I agree, plus it makes tolerating the tee-totalers that are so judge-y easier (RJ).
Many people who look down upon binge drinking in confined shared spaces are not teetotalers, but rather people who drink responsibly and in moderation.
757FO likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I see what you're saying, but someone in an exit row may be called upon to help people safely evacuate the aircraft, which is a higher-level responsibility than just navigating off the flight.

…or when they pre-board and sit in the exit row.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Many people who look down upon binge drinking in confined shared spaces are not teetotalers, but rather people who drink responsibly and in moderation.
Genuinely curious, why does it matter whether they're in a shared confined space? I also don't understand what this has to do with drinking "responsibly". The passenger isn't flying the plane. I'd argue it's a lot more "responsible" to have 8 drinks on a plane then head to an uber that takes you to a hotel where you fall asleep than it is to have two glasses of wine at dinner and then get in your car to drive home.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Genuinely curious, why does it matter whether they're in a shared confined space? I also don't understand what this has to do with drinking "responsibly". The passenger isn't flying the plane. I'd argue it's a lot more "responsible" to have 8 drinks on a plane then head to an uber that takes you to a hotel where you fall asleep than it is to have two glasses of wine at dinner and then get in your car to drive home.
Well, binge drinking is by definition not responsible.

While people may swear that they are not loud, do not interfere with others personal space, and otherwise disruptive when they binge drink, they definitionally aren't the best judges of that. And often that behavior will not rise to the level of something worth an FA interfering and risking a belligerent response say, of someone complaining that before COVID, they wouldn't have been cut off at drink 7. In a shared confined space, of course, other people have no choice but to be subject to someone else's intoxication - even though when they sober up they will insist it is just an FA on a power trip and they "weren't that bad."

​​​​​​On the ground, if you are drunk, I can walk away from you. On a plane, I cannot. It seems like a false dichotomy that the only options in your hypothetical are driving drunk and 8 cocktails on a 4 hour flight.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Well, binge drinking is by definition not responsible.

While people may swear that they are not loud, do not interfere with others personal space, and otherwise disruptive when they binge drink, they definitionally aren't the best judges of that. And often that behavior will not rise to the level of something worth an FA interfering and risking a belligerent response say, of someone complaining that before COVID, they wouldn't have been cut off at drink 7. In a shared confined space, of course, other people have no choice but to be subject to someone else's intoxication - even though when they sober up they will insist it is just an FA on a power trip and they "weren't that bad."

​​​​​​On the ground, if you are drunk, I can walk away from you. On a plane, I cannot. It seems like a false dichotomy that the only options in your hypothetical are driving drunk and 8 cocktails on a 4 hour flight.
I mean, that's fair. Personally, I'm a pretty quiet person and I don't really like chit-chatting. While that doesn't change for me when I drink, I am also annoyed when people try to get my attention when I have headphones on so they can make some comment about nonsense, and obviously many people talk more when they're drunk, so that's definitely a fair complaint.

I wasn't trying to say those were the only two options. But when people talk about drinking "responsibly" it's almost always in reference to safety (often of others), hence my question, since we were also talking about someone sitting in an exit row, so I wasn't sure if that's where your comment was going.

I don't know what you mean by binge drinking is "by definition" not responsible, but I don't want to take this thread farther off topic so will leave it at I agree with you that it's annoying when people get drunk and, well, annoy me or others. And I agree that it's particularly annoying on an airplane where you can't go anywhere.
Hoyaheel and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.