Delta A220-100 Loud Air Filtration

Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Delta A220-100 Loud Air Filtration

Has anyone noticed a super-loud air filtration system on Delta's A220-100? We just made a round trip on those for the first time because they were reputed to be relatively quiet, due to an ear condition, and they were among the loudest flights we'd ever been on. Engine wasn't too loud, but the air in the cabin was very loudly roaring, making the return flight in particular very hard to endure. I have recently flown on multiple other types of aircraft on American without this issue, so it isn't all planes that are like this. I haven't flown on Delta in a few years, but when I did, I don't remember this being an issue.

Is this a Delta thing (maybe blasting the HEPA filters like mad due to Covid), or is it a characteristic of all A220-100s?
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe depends where you sit on that plane? I've been in F and C+ and haven't noticed any unusually loud air system noise. The loudest part I noticed was during taxi.
The Situation likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe depends where you sit on that plane? I've been in F and C+ and haven't noticed any unusually loud air system noise. The loudest part I noticed was during taxi.
The squeal it makes when the engine powers up is the loudest part. The air in flight is very quiet, especially when compared to other narrowbody a/c (i.e. 738/739 E175, 717, A319/A320).
zmb likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:52 am
Original Poster

We sat in row 1 on each flight. The beached whale squeal was annoying, but nothing compared to the loudly blowing air circulation during the last flight in particular. It lasted throughout the entire flight.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Two PDB's and noise cancelling headphones and you are guaranteed not to hear a thing
lindros2 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
One of the older 767-300's in D1/FC the noise was AWFUL by me and the middle of the flight something went "pop" and got louder.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I didn't think this aircraft was any louder than any other aircraft in particular. It was no md-90 hvac that is for sure.

Also if noise could make the ventilation better on a 739 then bring on the noise!!! Please!!
rylan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 3:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by elsaglass
Has anyone noticed a super-loud air filtration system on Delta's A220-100? We just made a round trip on those for the first time because they were reputed to be relatively quiet, due to an ear condition, and they were among the loudest flights we'd ever been on. Engine wasn't too loud, but the air in the cabin was very loudly roaring, making the return flight in particular very hard to endure. I have recently flown on multiple other types of aircraft on American without this issue, so it isn't all planes that are like this. I haven't flown on Delta in a few years, but when I did, I don't remember this being an issue.

Is this a Delta thing (maybe blasting the HEPA filters like mad due to Covid), or is it a characteristic of all A220-100s?
I have flown on multiple A220s Delta, EgyptAir, and Air Canada (all during covid) and never had an issue with noise. It is by far my favorite shorthaul aircraft to fly. I feel like your issue may have been a one off issue rather than an issue wit hte entire line of planes.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:42 pm

cant say I have noticed anything on the 221 that isn't engine related. Now the GTF has some.....interesting.....sounds sometimes but haven't had any kind of air issue.

Of course as someone else said I am pretty much at the point where I throw my noise canceling headset on and if possible a PDB or two and I don't have a care in the world.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:48 am
Original Poster

I definitely won't fly that plane again. Both flights on it were loud, so I don't think it was a one-off. It could possibly have been the same exact plane, though. The second route was the return route on the next day.

Last edited by elsaglass; Sep 25, 2022 at 9:04 am
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: UA
What is a PDB?
PDB = pre-departure beverage
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I think it's louder whenver you sit near a cabin divider. I've noticed that the Delta cabins (in many aircraft) with the cabin divider that comes down from the ceiling, but isn't a full wall (between F and C+) is right under the aisle air vent, which causes the noise.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
This should be an advertisement for Sony wh-1000xm5 ...

(although you can hear cabin announcements clear as a bell thanks to concessions made by Sony/Bose/etc. after people getting run over in crosswalks)
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat/SC 1MM, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Sam's Club
I recall several times sitting in F on a B717 and the a/c noise was horrendous. I was always on the A/B side of row 1.
spongenotbob likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by kbooks66
I have flown on multiple A220s Delta, EgyptAir, and Air Canada (all during covid) and never had an issue with noise. It is by far my favorite shorthaul aircraft to fly. I feel like your issue may have been a one off issue rather than an issue wit hte entire line of planes.
Whatever! A220 is used frequently on my routes and the engine spooling sound is so freakin' loud and weird. In fact, I usually fall asleep after boarding and sleep through most my crazy early AM flights, except when I am an A220. The spool up always wakes me.

In addition, I live close to the airport and during morning hours when it's very quiet (and I am not traveling), I can hear the A220 spooling sound all the way in my home several miles away!!! I would use FlightRadar to confirm it was a A220 lining up for take off and chuckle about it.

A220 is quiet in flight, similar to A320neo and B737MAX, because of the newer engines. However, it's one of the loudest at takeoff and approach. If you don't hear these noises, I highly recommend go have your hearing checked. They are well documented.

Last edited by wlau; Jun 30, 2022 at 11:02 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.