Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Though check in bags on two separate delta issued tickets (domestic & international)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Though check in bags on two separate delta issued tickets (domestic & international)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold

So I booked SFO-AMS-DXB on Delta.com using delta eCredit that I already had. It's booked as class T (Economy) and allows 2 free checked bags. Ticket is issued by Delta and has Delta flight numbers. But flight itself is operated by KLM (both the SFO-AMS, AMS-DXB sectors).

I now have to fly from SEA so I am going to book a separate ticket from SEA to SFO on a Delta flight. There will be a 5 hour layover in SFO. If I book Basic fare (either using eCredit or Miles) on the SEA - SFO leg, will I be able to through check in the bags all the way to DXB from SEA without paying extra? Do I have to call Delta and link the tickets to make this possible? Or is that not possible at all? Will booking Main fare instead make a difference?

I don't have any delta credit cards so free check-in bag wont be an option. It will be nice to avoid collecting the bags in SFO and re-check in at the KLM counter. Would rather go spend my time at a lounge instead :-/
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
You can definitely thru-check, you will not have to touch your bags in SFO. This is easy, just have both confirmation numbers handy at check-in.

The payment part is a bit trickier, probably you won't have to pay for them, but that somewhat depends on the check-in agent at SEA.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
You can definitely thru-check, you will not have to touch your bags in SFO. This is easy, just have both confirmation numbers handy at check-in.

The payment part is a bit trickier, probably you won't have to pay for them, but that somewhat depends on the check-in agent at SEA.
Thank you so much for the reply. Good to know that through check-in is an option even though the remaining flights are KLM operated. Booking a Main vs Basic fare (on SEA to SFO leg) shouldn't make a difference I would guess? Since they both are non-refundable and no check-in bags are allowed on either.

Is it possible to call and link the booking in advance to make this easier during check-in? Or does that make no difference too?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Thank you so much for the reply. Good to know that through check-in is an option even though the remaining flights are KLM operated. Booking a Main vs Basic fare (on SEA to SFO leg) shouldn't make a difference I would guess? Since they both are non-refundable and no check-in bags are allowed on either.

Is it possible to call and link the booking in advance to make this easier during check-in? Or does that make no difference too?
LInking won't have any effect. Agreed, your choice of fare class for SEA-SFO shouldn't matter since you're going to ask the agent to disregard the domestic itinerary baggage rules and follow the the international itinerary rules instead
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk

Linking won't do anything. Just ask at checkin in SEA. They should give you allowance as if was one ticket. You'll be protected by DL if late, despite being separate tickets.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
LInking won't have any effect. Agreed, your choice of fare class for SEA-SFO shouldn't matter since you're going to ask the agent to disregard the domestic itinerary baggage rules and follow the the international itinerary rules instead
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Linking won't do anything. Just ask at checkin in SEA. They should give you allowance as if was one ticket. You'll be protected by DL if late, despite being separate tickets.
This is really good to know. Thank you so much!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:56 pm

I know it’s not the advice you came asking for, but would advise against booking basic economy given all the interruptions we’ve been seeing this summer. Surely the difference on a one way fare between BE and main can’t be worth messing up your arrival in DXB?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.