Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another medallion status question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Another medallion status question

You live at a delta hub (Atlanta for me ) , only travel about 8 times a year , and always purchase First class or Delta one . Will any type of status show you any benefit? I’m guessing after my next flight I will be Gold? I’m one of the hated platinum Amex holders so I get into the sky clubs. Please go easy on me! I’m thinking the only benefit will maybe calling a number where people answer the phones faster, whenever I have a flight delay/cancellation?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by MereMin
You live at a delta hub (Atlanta for me ) , only travel about 8 times a year , and always purchase First class or Delta one . Will any type of status show you any benefit? I’m guessing after my next flight I will be Gold? I’m one of the hated platinum Amex holders so I get into the sky clubs. Please go easy on me! I’m thinking the only benefit will maybe calling a number where people answer the phones faster, whenever I have a flight delay/cancellation?
When a flight is canceled or significantly delayed FC passengers are affected just like the back. So in IROPS it is good to have status for rebooking. By the time you get through on the phones the next open FC seat might be in 2-3 days these days.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Other differences I can think of:

- Faster mileage accrual compared to Silver or general member

- Gold (and higher) gets free Same Day Confirmed changes (SDC) vs $75 for Silver/general member, which potentially pairs well with buying F since paid F gets last-seat SDC availability on DL.

- Gold is also Sky Team Elite Plus, which gives you access to SkyTeam operated lounges on international itineraries, plus one guest. If you always buy D1 anyway you would already have lounge access for yourself, but the ability to +1 someone who doesn't already have access, is the difference. This seems unlikely to ever come into play, but mentioning for completeness...

Not saying any of these are really a huge deal, really, although the SDC might be useful.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Zorak
Other differences I can think of:

- Gold (and higher) gets free Same Day Confirmed changes (SDC) vs $75 for Silver/general member, which potentially pairs well with buying F since paid F gets last-seat SDC availability on DL.
This alone would be reason for me. I frequently want to swap out flights the day before/day of, and if you're booking flights in F/J, this is a huge benefit since you can grab any seat available.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by paterwdb
This alone would be reason for me. I frequently want to swap out flights the day before/day of, and if you're booking flights in F/J, this is a huge benefit since you can grab any seat available.
If you buy F/J, you can already do that, can't you?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
But not without a fee if not GM or higher.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Not for free. SDC waiver is only for elites GM+
Old Jun 26, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Silver doesn't offer much, except for free advance access to preferred seats (exit rows). Since you're booking First/Biz anyhow, that won't help.

As others have said, same-day change and standby are great. But you can do it without status--you just have to pay for it.

Given your flying patterns and Amex membership, there's not much it can do for you. You'll pocket bonus miles for all your flights, I guess.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Silver doesn't offer much, except for free advance access to preferred seats (exit rows). Since you're booking First/Biz anyhow, that won't help.

As others have said, same-day change and standby are great. But you can do it without status--you just have to pay for it.

Given your flying patterns and Amex membership, there's not much it can do for you. You'll pocket bonus miles for all your flights, I guess.
Silver also gives priority boarding, priority check-in, free checked bag, and upgrade opportunity. I got upgraded to 1st on both legs of a CUN-ATL trip in April. For what it requires to obtain "status", Silver is worth a whole lot more than Gold.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Barkley333
Silver also gives priority boarding, priority check-in, free checked bag, and upgrade opportunity. I got upgraded to 1st on both legs of a CUN-ATL trip in April.
All of those things already come with paid F though (higher priority boarding too)

Originally Posted by MereMin
You live at a delta hub (Atlanta for me ) , only travel about 8 times a year , and always purchase First class or Delta one . Will any type of status show you any benefit?
Goodoldflyer and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.