Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSO mechanic

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by noah
Earlier this year I had a flight at PDX, a DL "focus city where they are the largest carrier, delayed 12 hours because they had to drive a mechanic and a part from SEA to PDX. "We don't have any mechanics on duty some weekends who are certified for this aircraft" is what we were told at the gate.

I also had this same issue on an AS flight from MSO once -- no mechanic available so the plane ended up going out empty to PDX and they sent all the pax to SEA instead on a different flight.
Wait - DL is the largest carrier at PDX???? Based on what metric??? I fly DL out of there almost every week, and they generally have way better options than UA or AA, for example, but looking at departures by airline, Alaska has more than 3x as many flights as Delta (77 vs 25). Even Southwest has 24 departures in the same period.

DL has a once-daily to AMS, and the nonstop HND flight has been on hold since sometime in 2020 as far as I can tell. So, apart from having a small Sky Club that seems to be left over from the Pre-Merger NW days, so I am not sure where you are seeing "focus city" attributes?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Wait - DL is the largest carrier at PDX???? Based on what metric??? I fly DL out of there almost every week, and they generally have way better options than UA or AA, for example, but looking at departures by airline, Alaska has more than 3x as many flights as Delta (77 vs 25). Even Southwest has 24 departures in the same period.

DL has a once-daily to AMS, and the nonstop HND flight has been on hold since sometime in 2020 as far as I can tell. So, apart from having a small Sky Club that seems to be left over from the Pre-Merger NW days, so I am not sure where you are seeing "focus city" attributes?
PDX didn't have HND nonstop. Direct maybe, but not nonstop.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
PMNW had a NRT non-stop. I got a phantom upgrade on it and then another NRT-SIN and on the return, too.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Duplicate post
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29
PMNW had a NRT non-stop. I got a phantom upgrade on it and then another NRT-SIN and on the return, too.
Yes, remember that. PDX-NRT was always an easy upgrade using miles IME.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:17 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Exterous
Just thought I'd share an interesting anecdote that I haven't run into before. Trying to fly out of MSO today and the pilot announced we needed a quick inspection from a mechanic. Apparently on Saturdays there isn't a mechanic at the MSO airport so one is driving in from an hour away. They were called before boarding so hopefully not too much of a delay into MSP
I used to be General (Station) Manager for an airline in a northeast city. My employer was also the only scheduled airline into LBE - Latrobe, PA, and with A320 to boot. They ended up getting my diversions (because PHL/EWR/etc certainly aren't good choices) with some frequency. There was one, that's ONE, Airbus-certified A&P in the Latrobe area and I think he had a 90 minute call-out window (he usually didn't stray far from the airport though). Collected his fee to be on standby call for whatever flight, and when needed, would put on his vintage USAir red on brown on orange MX coat and drive out to the plane.

Well, very unfortunately this A&P was in a bad car accident and out of commission for like 9 months. We would road trip company mechanics (who were in-house) from next nearest MX base which was my city. This got expensive, constantly having a couple guys on TDY up there. So, the airline established a MX base with like 5 technicians and a van full of parts at Latrobe.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes it did. Delta was awarded a HND slot for PDX, daily 332, in 2020. I don't know if PDX-HND started or if PDX-TYO (would have been NRT) was suspended due to COVID before it could start.
Delta's HND slots are 1x daily each to ATL, MSP, DTW, LAX, SEA, PDX and HNL. ATL/MSP/DTW/LAX are 350s (or will be when they re-start), SEA is 339, PDX is 332 and HNL is 763.

I suspect if/when Delta is able to request more HND slots SEA/DTW/LAX will be looked at to go double daily with maybe a wild card of giving JFK-TYO a what seems like 15th try between DL and NW.

They aren't the largest carrier out of PDX but they are the largest "global" carrier, or at least they were pre-COVID. Granted American was quite close in market share but Delta was a tad larger.

AMS/ATL/DTW/MSP/SEA/LAX/JFK/SLC/ICN/HND and then pre-COVID they were operating LHR and IIRC still running PDX-HNL. No idea if/when PDX-LHR or HNL will come back. The only hub without PDX serve is Boston currently (excluding LGA for obvious reasons)

(note PDX-ICN/HND currently scheduled to start in September and October respectively)
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Yes it did. Delta was awarded a HND slot for PDX, daily 332, in 2020. I don't know if PDX-HND started or if PDX-TYO (would have been NRT) was suspended due to COVID before it could start.
Delta's HND slots are 1x daily each to ATL, MSP, DTW, LAX, SEA, PDX and HNL. ATL/MSP/DTW/LAX are 350s (or will be when they re-start), SEA is 339, PDX is 332 and HNL is 763.

I suspect if/when Delta is able to request more HND slots SEA/DTW/LAX will be looked at to go double daily with maybe a wild card of giving JFK-TYO a what seems like 15th try between DL and NW.

They aren't the largest carrier out of PDX but they are the largest "global" carrier, or at least they were pre-COVID. Granted American was quite close in market share but Delta was a tad larger.

AMS/ATL/DTW/MSP/SEA/LAX/JFK/SLC/ICN/HND and then pre-COVID they were operating LHR and IIRC still running PDX-HNL. No idea if/when PDX-LHR or HNL will come back. The only hub without PDX serve is Boston currently (excluding LGA for obvious reasons)

(note PDX-ICN/HND currently scheduled to start in September and October respectively)
I don't know when the last PDX-HNL was, but it was *far* pre-Covid. I had to fly to HNL 5 times in 2017 and had to connect through SEA or SLC every time. I would have loved knocking 3 hours in each direction off of that trip!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:19 pm

I don't know when the last PDX-HNL was, but it was *far* pre-Covid. I had to fly to HNL 5 times in 2017 and had to connect through SEA or SLC every time. I would have loved knocking 3 hours in each direction off of that trip!
Ah okay. PDX-HNL has come and gone some many times between DL and NW its nearly impossible to keep up.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291

PDX-HND didn't actually start. This might be why I'm thinking no service. I know HND flights were supposed to start moving from NRT around time CV19 hit.

JFK is unlikely. There's just too much competition from *A (NH/UA) and OW (JL/AA).
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Wait - DL is the largest carrier at PDX???? Based on what metric???
I meant to say larger not largest.. oops.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by noah
I meant to say larger not largest.. oops.
I'll buy that. "Largest" just had me really confused!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List
When I lived in TYS we had a similar situation. The guy had to be brought in from a farm
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by mot29
DL had PDX-NRT nonstop until covid. Rumor was that the route was for Nike and DL possibly received subsidies from the state and local govs and even Nike as well (in addition to buying a lot of seats). I took that route once (maybe twice? as recently as 2019) because it was so much cheaper than other options. Flights were always sparsely filled and it could not survive without subsidies. As someone else mentioned DL was awarded a PDX-HND slot but that is on hold until travel to Japan recovers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.