Delta to Jetblue in FLL

Old Jun 22, 22, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, etc.
Question Delta to Jetblue in FLL

We have an upcoming trip that will wind up in San Juan, PR, but requires an airline change in FLL from Delta to Jetblue. I know things are rough these days, but looking to know if anyone has made such a transfer and whether 2 1/4 hours is sufficient according to the schedules? We travel ATL-FLL, and this travel is on a Saturday in September this year.

Peace!
Old Jun 22, 22, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I assume that you'll have separate tickets, so no IROPs protection. Also, you won't be able to check luggage through.
Old Jun 22, 22, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Chattaflyer View Post
We have an upcoming trip that will wind up in San Juan, PR, but requires an airline change in FLL from Delta to Jetblue. I know things are rough these days, but looking to know if anyone has made such a transfer and whether 2 1/4 hours is sufficient according to the schedules? We travel ATL-FLL, and this travel is on a Saturday in September this year.
You'll have to change terminals - I've honestly never done this in FLL but have flown DL, WN (Southwest) and B6 (JetBlue) in/out of FLL - so if you do need to check bags, that could be a time crunch.
Also September is the worst month for hurricanes - so be aware.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
As others have stated, you will have to grab your checked luggage, if any, and go from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3, which is a quick 5 minute walk outside. You will then have to recheck your luggage (if you have any) and go through security again. There are risks, but on a normal day, entirely doable. The risks of IRROPS could leave you in a pickle.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s totally fine if the inbound flight is on-time or only slightly late. Who knows what operations will be like in September but you should have a backup plan in case you can’t make it to the second flight. Are there flights later that day or will you have to fins a hotel and overnight, and what might B6 charge you to change flights due to the No-show (a “flat tire” rule may save you.)
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, etc.
Smile

Thanks for the responses, it really helps. I misstated our travel dates - not September but February 2023 (my bad, two different trips). I do have the $200 option to add four hours in FLL, and will likely do so. I appreciate the notes and suggestions!

Peace!
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:51 pm

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chattaflyer View Post

Peace!
Given how far out Sept is, there's still a chance for schedule changes on DL and/or B6's part. There's a chance a schedule change by either could give you more cushion but there's also a chance a schedule change could shrink this "connection" window at FLL. If the schedule change is big enough you could switch your flight to another flight operating that day but if the change is minor (less than 60 minutes), DL, at least, is under no obligation to rebook you without charging a fare difference and you could find your 2 1/4 hour "connection" is now down to 1 and 1/4 hours.

As someone else noted, September is prime hurricane season for this part of the world so that could throw a wrench in your plans.

Is ATL-SJU nonstop just too expensive that you're considering this or is there another reason you're considering this option of doing DL for ATL-FLL and then transferring to B6 for FLL-SJU?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
You could also consider booking a Southwest flight ATL-FLL as a backup. You can cancel if the DL flights pan out. If you did this, you should use points rather than $$ for the Southwest booking to allow easy refund if you cancel.
Old Jun 24, 22, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
You could also consider booking a Southwest flight ATL-FLL as a backup. You can cancel if the DL flights pan out. If you did this, you should use points rather than $$ for the Southwest booking to allow easy refund if you cancel.
I cancelled southwest business an hour before takeoff and got $$ refunded in one business day.
Old Jun 24, 22, 1:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
I cancelled southwest business an hour before takeoff and got $$ refunded in one business day.
Yes, I was only considering booking WGA fare as a backup.

Search this Thread