"weather" in JFK

Old Jun 22, 22, 3:11 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 3MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
"weather" in JFK

Well, my long played plans on a nice trip to Prague with my spouse and been killed by Delta's premature cancellation of flights into JFK due to "potential weather". I had a five HOUR layover in JFK, planned purposely to allow for these "weather" reasons. My original JFK - PRG flight is going out on time tonight, the inbound aircraft is in flight from LAX and will have 3 hours before departure. But, DL has cancelled the majority of connection flights into JFK, and yet there were no FAA delays earlier today. So, I am now on and off the phone trying to make alternative plans with little inventory.

So, I have been rebooked tomorrow to connect in CDG to an Air France flight. I have 1 hour and 5 minutes for the connection in CDG. 2E to 2F. Also have to go through customs and immigration, though with priority as a D1 passenger. Will I make it or do I need to go back to DL and see what few options I may have. (only other option is through either ATL or AMS). Does anyone know of a tool that can tell me what 2E terminal we will come into on DL 98? Flight Aware just lists "2E". I've made flights before but given this timing, it really depends on the actual terminal of 2E that we will arrive into.
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:29 pm

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DL Platinum View Post
Well, my long played plans on a nice trip to Prague with my spouse and been killed by Delta's premature cancellation of flights into JFK due to "potential weather". I had a five HOUR layover in JFK, planned purposely to allow for these "weather" reasons. My original JFK - PRG flight is going out on time tonight, the inbound aircraft is in flight from LAX and will have 3 hours before departure. But, DL has cancelled the majority of connection flights into JFK, and yet there were no FAA delays earlier today. So, I am now on and off the phone trying to make alternative plans with little inventory.

So, I have been rebooked tomorrow to connect in CDG to an Air France flight. I have 1 hour and 5 minutes for the connection in CDG. 2E to 2F. Also have to go through customs and immigration, though with priority as a D1 passenger. Will I make it or do I need to go back to DL and see what few options I may have. (only other option is through either ATL or AMS). Does anyone know of a tool that can tell me what 2E terminal we will come into on DL 98? Flight Aware just lists "2E". I've made flights before but given this timing, it really depends on the actual terminal of 2E that we will arrive into.
Your profile says CVG/DAY/CMH. The storm passed just south of the Dayton area (I could see the northern edge of some part of this storm out my office window) but here’s the AccuWeather radar for CVG from around the time of your post

CVG sits in the middle of that nasty stuff that just passed through so this could have impacted things.

ETA: Here’s the NYC Weather radar.

That big glob south of NYC is moving north to south and passed through the Northeast earlier today. So that likely did cause a mess of things for NYC too.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jun 22, 22 at 3:38 pm
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

The outbound flight was at 220p today and was cancelled at 11:10am today, long before any of the weather here would have been a problem. I track the inbound aircraft and there were no delays at that time, either in CVG or JFK. DL cancelled this and other flights (CMH) (IND) prematurely into JFK.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:43 pm

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
The outbound flight was at 220p today and was cancelled at 11:10am today, long before any of the weather here would have been a problem. I track the inbound aircraft and there were no delays at that time, either in CVG or JFK. DL cancelled this and other flights (CMH) (IND) prematurely into JFK.
I edited my post to show a weather screenshot of the NYC area too. It shows a big system south of NYC that on the AccuWeather site with live play was (still is) moving from north to south and passed though the Northeast earlier. Quite possible that yes, this system did impact things. Not saying this doesn't suck - just saying that yes, there is weather impacting things and as any seasoned traveler knows, the delays and effects from weather can often linger long after the system passes through as the whole system tries to play "catch-up."
Adam1222 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:45 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, OZ Diamond Plus

While there are no FAA delays into JFK proper there are lots of delays on the routes inbound to JFK

Old Jun 22, 22, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Did you try to get on the 1:30 PM CVG-LGA flight?
Old Jun 22, 22, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
This (today) is an epic mess... Northeast is shut down...
(I can't imagine JFK > PRG gonna get out on time, either)
Old Jun 22, 22, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

full. tried EWR, LGA from DAY, CMH, IND, and CVG. Either full or cancelled.
Old Jun 22, 22, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by lindros2 View Post
This (today) is an epic mess... Northeast is shut down...
(I can't imagine JFK > PRG gonna get out on time, either)
I’ll leave it up to you to decide the delay factor:

Old Jun 22, 22, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Well, my long played plans on a nice trip to Prague with my spouse and been killed by Delta's premature cancellation of flights into JFK due to "potential weather". I had a five HOUR layover in JFK, planned purposely to allow for these "weather" reasons. My original JFK - PRG flight is going out on time tonight, the inbound aircraft is in flight from LAX and will have 3 hours before departure. But, DL has cancelled the majority of connection flights into JFK, and yet there were no FAA delays earlier today.
On the FAA’s first operational conference call of the day at 0915Z/0525EDT they said there would be severe constraints on ZNY and ZDC.

Here’s a bulletin they put out at 1123Z/0723EDT

ATCSCC ADVZY 016 DCC/ZNY 06/22/2022 NY METRO SWAP IMPLEMENTATION PLAN_FYIMESSAGE:
SWAP STATEMENT: SEVERE WEATHER AVOIDANCE PLANS ARE EXPECTED FOR THE ZNY AREA AFTER 1700Z. EXPECTED IMPACT AREA( S ): LRG AREA OF HI-TOP TS DVLPG OVR CNTRL PA MOVG FM N TO S. WDSPRD IMPACTS TO Q818 -> J48 EXPCD THRU THE AFTN/EVE. AZEZU-PAEPR-HANRI ( L453-Y493 ) IMPACTS ARE: HI-TOP SHRA / SCT EMBD TS DITCH IMPACTS ARE: NOT EXPECTED INTERNATIONAL DEPARTURES ( EAST GATES ) IMPACTS ARE: NOT EXPECTED PLANNED ALTERNATE DEPARTURE ROUTES: SERMN, PHLYER POSSIBLE REROUTES / CDR'S WILL BE PROVIDED AS NECESSARY. TOMORROW MORNING SWAP OUTLOOK: POSSIBLE

EFFECTIVE TIME:
221113 - 230230
I cut out a bunch of the non-relevant parts, but it was clear they were going to implement SWAP (Severe Weather Avoidance Plan) pretty early today.

The sector GDPs that others have mentioned were announced at 1400Z/1000EDT. The delays were not yet effective, but they’d already been announced. One of the reasons they do this is to give airlines a chance to reduce their schedules (I.e. cancel flights) to lessen the delayed EDCTs for all their other flights. DL “only” cancelled 1% of their flights today, By comparison UA 4%, AA 6%. However, many of the regionals got hammered with cancellations. Some as high as 20%.

There are also still staffing issues at N90 (the tracon that feeds the NY Metros).

Unfortunately for you (but fortunately for people going to or coming from East of NY) the eastern gates were pretty much unaffected.

Basically everything in the aviation world is over stressed at the moment. Airlines, ATC, TSA, etc etc. It’s probably going to get worse over the summer holiday weekends.
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by truncated View Post
While there are no FAA delays into JFK proper there are lots of delays on the routes inbound to JFK

This is the source of the cancellation. There may not have been any delay programs in place at the moment the flight was canceled, but DL was alerted by the FAA that en-route delay programs would be in place in the afternoon. And they were correct about this. Early cancellations, keeping crews from burning valuable hours idling on a taxiway are an important way to prevent an extended meltdown. Short to medium haul RJs into JFK and EWR are always the first to be sacrificed on these weather days.
seawolf, jalves, becks1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:11 am

Programs: LH, DL
…I have been rebooked tomorrow to connect in CDG to an Air France flight. I have 1 hour and 5 minutes for the connection in CDG. 2E to 2F. Also have to go through customs and immigration, though with priority as a D1 passenger. Will I make it ….. Does anyone know of a tool that can tell me what 2E terminal we will come into on DL 98? Flight Aware just lists "2E". into.
Look/ask in the Destination/ France forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/france-monaco-467/

A wealth of collective experience/information.

Search this Thread