Wiki Posts
Search

The RUC/GUC Gauntlet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The RUC/GUC Gauntlet

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but somewhere, there are Delta folks monitoring this board, so this issue getting RUCs/GUCs processed deserves its very own thread until they solve this problem. I am a DM/3MM FWIW. I am now into a call, initially to the Diamond Desk, that is 1H 45M long and still going. The initial call was answered in 2 minutes.... two itineraries just ticketed in coach with RUC availability. So here I am almost 2 hours later on hold waiting to conclude the process. I am in the process of getting these applied to a BOS-SAN RT and it is torture. The people I talk with are as pleasant as can be but the process they seem to be forced to deal with is time consuming. After a 1:45 hold just to get to the reissue desk, she is having her own issues. Over 15 minutes so far with her. Nothing complicated here, just a long time very good and loyal DL customer trying to use RUCs on flights advertised to be available.

Total length of call.... 2:15... I know that I am looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I shudder now at the prospect of having to process a RUC! Delta, please fix this!

(I am going to spare you with the details of what bodily functions needed to be taken care of during that elapsed time of 2H 15M!}
hi55us likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Just think of how much money they could save by not having those call center people tied up on RUC calls and developing the ability for a customer to click a button on the website or app instead.
Spiff, ijgordon, photojojo and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:31 pm

Shenanigans likely indeed

I believe there's a relatively high likelihood that Delta just does not want these certs to be redeemed. Case in point: this weekend we booked four long haul segments for two (JFK-CDG-CPT) in the appropriate Premium Economy class on AF ticket stock. EF was quoting between 4 and 9 Z class seats for each sector. Upon calling Delta, and engaging with the JV Partnership desk, we were told only one of us could upgrade only one way.

So Z class not only needs to be available on the partner carrier, Delta must have access to or desire to sell that Z inventory.

Shenanigans.
Spiff, BigFishDave, hi55us and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Just once, I'd like Ed Bastien to try to apply an RUC onto a ticketed itinerary! Just not a friendly process.

And the bizarre thing is that I was actually feeling guilty for tying up so much agent time while others were probably in the queue waiting for some more urgent issues, like trying to get home tonight!
NYC Flyer, Spiff, ryandc99 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
My experience has been that I have usually spent more time trying to correctly apply RUCs than I actually spend BIS for said upgrade. Not sure it is worth it in that circumstance!

Never thought I’d have this perspective for upgrade certificates, but I guess WFBF—the cost is almost worth the hassle saved in trying to apply “free”
certs!
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:24 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yes, this discussion reminds me of my ex-BF's comment "illusionary benefits!"

Plus it seems half the time, the tickets are not re-issued correctly so that I have a ton of issues at check in on KL or AF and have to push for KL or AF to get the problem resolved at the transfer point....luckily the lounge agents seem more willing to put some time into it rather than the checkin agents...
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
I'm in the same boat, never understood the reason why upgrades should not be done by the flyer online or in the app.
-is there upgrade availability? Yes.
- does the customer having an certicate for this kind of upgrade? Yes.
-"Which certificate would you like to use? Please click one"
-"Please confirm your choice to use cert #XXX to upgrade flight #XXX from X to Y class of service".
"Thank you BER Flyer. Please note that your ticket has to be re-issued, this might take a few hours. Please watch your inbox."
Would save a couple thousand hours of CSR's time each month.
Maybe this should be suggested to DL's bean counter department.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
After waiting 6 hours once, and 8 hours another time to apply a RUC, then they will never work when you check in and you'll have to call again (or let airport fix it). That's just normal for Delta right now.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME it was somewhat better when DL had experienced dedicated DM line agents. They dealt with GUCs/RUCs regularly and usually could process them efficiently, often being able to reissue the ticket by themselves. Now when you reach a random newbie, they're overwhelmed and need to have the help desk hold their hands for every step, usually after holding to reach a supervisor or help desk. A good experience is when you have someone willing to learn who cares about doing it right. I wonder whether some are inclined to say "no upgrade space" because they don't want to bother and have incentives to avoid long calls if possible.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:02 am

The last time I call to apply a RUC, the CSR agent was able to apply it without having to pass it to the global desk. She mentioned that Delta is training CSR agents to work on RUC directly now. YMMV.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
In 2019 I was able to apply a RUC using just iMessage with an agent - total time was probably 20 minutes.

Doing it today means getting turned away from iMessage, being told they can't processing it, and then spending 2-4 hours on the phone depending on the hold + the hold for a supervisor (which was also not necessary in 2019).

IME they have a pretty low success rate as well; I haven't bothered using any of mine recently.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:33 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bworrell
After waiting 6 hours once, and 8 hours another time to apply a RUC, then they will never work when you check in and you'll have to call again (or let airport fix it). That's just normal for Delta right now.
This is the most frustrating part! After finally finding and getting the RUC applied to your ticket, you then can't check-in because the "automated" system didn't reissue the ticket at/before OLCI! It's never worked. I tell the CSR's every time how frustrating it is that this is a two part process taking up a lot of everyone's time unnecessarily.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by shoodawg
I believe there's a relatively high likelihood that Delta just does not want these certs to be redeeme
You think??

I has been obvious for decades that DL intentionally uses website tech to push what it wants.
BigFishDave and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JBJ2435
This is the most frustrating part! After finally finding and getting the RUC applied to your ticket, you then can't check-in because the "automated" system didn't reissue the ticket at/before OLCI! It's never worked. I tell the CSR's every time how frustrating it is that this is a two part process taking up a lot of everyone's time unnecessarily.
Knowing this, best practice is always to watch for the reissued ticket and call DL if there's no new receipt as OLCI time approaches.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Knowing this, best practice is always to watch for the reissued ticket and call DL if there's no new receipt as OLCI time approaches.
I do, but I still resent having to jump through hoops to use an earned benefit...
MSPeconomist and Mhyduchak like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.