The RUC/GUC Gauntlet

Old Jun 22, 22, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by JBJ2435 View Post
I do, but I still resent having to jump through hoops to use an earned benefit...
Not unlike begging a front desk agent for a preferred room location. Or having to educate them that a late checkout is guaranteed and not subject to availability.
Old Jun 22, 22, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I wonder if something has changed on the backend of the Delta IT system? I called in to upgrade DFW-LAX-SEA the other day with an RUC-- not only did it take about 20 minutes on hold after talking to the agent, when I got the confirmation, I discovered that the agent had changed my LAX-SEA flight to an entirely different and impossible flight (overlapping with DFW-LAX). I probably wouldn't have noticed (because am generally unobservant) except that the app showed the flights as Multi-City instead of Connecting after the erroneous change. It was fairly easy to correct with a phone call, but the agent was concerned that the availability on the original LAX-SEA flight would no longer be available. Caveator redeemor?
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So had my first full experience with booking and confirming an RUC upgrade conclude this morning (at least until flight departure).

Booked a flight (using a companion cert, and a partial e-credit for one pax, FWIW) for two of us a few weeks ago. RUC availability on return, would need to waitlist the outbound.

Called reservations, 5 minutes hold time, agent pretty quickly confirmed the upgrade on the return leg and waitlisted the outbound. It all looked good from my end (waitlisted segment in emailed itinerary, DL.com indicating waitlist, and extraneous seat map).

Finally saw Z2 inventory on the outbound this morning (the EF alert didn't come for another few hours, sigh), but we were still in coach, so the waitlist obviously did not process.

Called reservations, only 1 minute hold time and agent said we cleared the waitlist but it just hadn't processed yet. I gently nudged him saying the reservation was still showing in main cabin, and then he said he would clean it up and confirm the reservation and seat assignments in FC. Then he indicated that the ticket would be reissued around 72 hours prior to departure, but then something made him decide to reissue it himself. Apparently the first agent messed something up, and assigned all the RUCs to one ticket. Not sure what that meant. But he said he'd do it so that we didn't find out that we couldn't check in online at T-24h...

So he starts working on it, and said it would take a while (I joked with him "oh, a lot of typing I guess" and he said that actually he has to verify a lot of information...). Apparently he got an error partway through and had to start again, but fortunately was able to get the ticket reissued this time.

Net, it was only a 26 minute call total, but now I can definitely appreciate all the problems people have with this whole process!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS Gold 75K and Delta PM, former AA EXP
Originally Posted by manacit View Post
In 2019 I was able to apply a RUC using just iMessage with an agent - total time was probably 20 minutes.

Doing it today means getting turned away from iMessage, being told they can't processing it, and then spending 2-4 hours on the phone depending on the hold + the hold for a supervisor (which was also not necessary in 2019).

IME they have a pretty low success rate as well; I haven't bothered using any of mine recently.

Two data points on the iMessage situation - I have had success four times in the last year applying a RUC with an agent over iMessage. This has become my go-to for applying RUC's. Other than that, I agree with the overall sentiment of this discussion that applying RUC's and GUC's should be consistent, transparent, and easy which it currently is not.
Old Jun 22, 22, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
In 2019 I was able to apply a RUC using just iMessage with an agent - total time was probably 20 minutes.

Doing it today means getting turned away from iMessage, being told they can't processing it, and then spending 2-4 hours on the phone depending on the hold + the hold for a supervisor (which was also not necessary in 2019).

IME they have a pretty low success rate as well; I haven't bothered using any of mine recently.
Pre-COVID I rarely ever called to apply GUCs/RUCs; I always just used the Twitter team, who was able to handle them in no time. Only had to call for applying GUCs ex-LHR to pay the luxury tax, since Twitter folks couldn't take payment.

I really miss them. They were more competent than most phone agents in terms of RUCs/GUCs, and the "text message" folks that seem to have replaced the Twitter team are worse than the first automated chatbots of the late 90s and early 00s (seriously, where did DL find people that incompetent?).
Old Jun 22, 22, 5:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The experiences above mirror mine. It happens every single time. I have a trip the first week of July booked and upgraded (took about 20-30 minutes once I got through just for the agent to grab the seats). It still hasn't been reissued. I fully expect to be spending time on the phone the end of next week to get them to push it through.

The amount of time spent by agents, and supervisors, on this has to be astounding in the aggregate. Even if there were sinister motives present from a corporate standpoint, I just don't think the ROI is there to make them this hard to use.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
So here's a question... one can waitlist an RUC which puts you ahead of those waiting for complementary Medallion upgrades at the gate. Let's say you clear at the gate...how does that GA get it processed in 45 seconds when it takes an experienced Reissue Desk agent 20 minutes or more?

Somehow DL needs to eliminate the need to reissue the ticket. when using an RUC or GUC, especially on a domestic . .. Medallion upgrades happen without a ticket reissue. Why not the same with a certificate upgrade?
Old Jun 22, 22, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975 View Post
So here's a question... one can waitlist an RUC which puts you ahead of those waiting for complementary Medallion upgrades at the gate. Let's say you clear at the gate...how does that GA get it processed in 45 seconds when it takes an experienced Reissue Desk agent 20 minutes or more?
I believe there were some comments on this recently in the master RUC thread - that (1) gate agents have a lot more leeway to change passenger seats/cabins, and (2) there’s a decent chance the certificate doesn’t get pulled on a gate upgrade.
Somehow DL needs to eliminate the need to reissue the ticket. when using an RUC or GUC, especially on a domestic . .. Medallion upgrades happen without a ticket reissue. Why not the same with a certificate upgrade?
Possibly because since you’ve “paid” for the upgrade they want the ticket to match the reservation in the higher cabin, which should increase the likelihood of retaining that cabin in the case of IRROPS.
(Side question - if my RUC has cleared and I’m re-ticketed can I use Same-Day Change to change flights with last-seat availability like if I were on a paid FC ticket?)
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I believe there were some comments on this recently in the master RUC thread - that (1) gate agents have a lot more leeway to change passenger seats/cabins, and (2) there’s a decent chance the certificate doesn’t get pulled on a gate upgrade.
Possibly because since you’ve “paid” for the upgrade they want the ticket to match the reservation in the higher cabin, which should increase the likelihood of retaining that cabin in the case of IRROPS.
(Side question - if my RUC has cleared and I’m re-ticketed can I use Same-Day Change to change flights with last-seat availability like if I were on a paid FC ticket?)
Re your side question, yes you can. You can sometimes do this in the app. If not, call, but you may have to HUCA.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
GA just dumps you in F and leaves the paperwork for later (possibly for other people, too). It also effectively bypasses things like the reissue check.
Old Jun 23, 22, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
FWIW, if you just want to get the RUC/GUC upgrade reserved but do not care if it is ticked right now you can try the chat system.

Took me about 20 minutes, and most all was time I doing other work. No more that a couple minutes actual interaction time on my side.

Obviously I still need to either watch it or call in to see the ticket issued, but at least I could easily get the reservation side handled before others jumped ahead of me.
Old Jun 23, 22, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond

Just applied an RUC on Tuesday, used iMessage in the app and was done in 30 minutes.
First agent had to transfer me.
No annoying hold music.

I've had plenty of RUC's applied by phone and wasn't re-ticketed until I had to at the airport or by phone on day of departure. Their automated reticketing algorithm is sketchy at best, if it even exists.
Old Jun 23, 22, 2:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
Just applied an RUC on Tuesday, used iMessage in the app and was done in 30 minutes.
No annoying hold music.

I've had plenty of RUC's applied by phone and wasn't re-ticketed until I had to at the airport or by phone on day of departure. Their automated reticketing algorithm is sketchy at best, if it even exists.
I guess I should try again! This is what happened last time:

This was Feb of this year.
arunhn likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin View Post
No annoying hold music.

What happens if you get to the airport without the ticket reissue? I assume you cannot check in at a kiosk? How long does it tie up the Sky Priority counter agent to get it processed? There is obviously not enough time to wait for a reissue agent on the phone unless they have a quick route to the reissue desk.
JBJ2435 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What happens if you get to the airport without the ticket reissue? I assume you cannot check in at a kiosk? How long does it tie up the Sky Priority counter agent to get it processed? There is obviously not enough time to wait for a reissue agent on the phone unless they have a quick route to the reissue desk.
People here have reported missing flights if the ticket cannot be reissued quickly enough at the airport. In many cases, I suspect that the airport agent could have rebooked the person into coach, especially if the same fare class was available, but it's not even clear that the upgrade instrument would be returned in such cases.

Search this Thread