Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What happen if cancel ticket after complimentary upgrade cleared

What happen if cancel ticket after complimentary upgrade cleared

Old Jun 21, 22, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM,Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Question What happen if cancel ticket after complimentary upgrade cleared

Hi guys, I am new to here.

Next month have a flight with Boss, IAH-SLC. Purchased tickets with miles on main cabin, and upgraded to C+ already, thanks to my PM status.
But, I might have to cancel the my ticket, and letting Boss fly by himself.
Questions:
1. What happen if cancel my ticket after complimentary upgrade to FC cleared in 72hrs window, does Boss still keep his FC seat? Or will he be downgrade to Main?
2. If the FC upgrade does not cleared, I cancel my ticket, will Boss keep his current C+ seat? Or will he be downgrade to Main?

I am PM with Delta, and Boss has no status just a regular member.
Boss is UA Plat, and I am UA regular member. When I traveled with him, seems he always separated our reservations after baggies checked. He might got a higher chances to get upgrade while being alone? UA system seems doesn't care whatever (bags, E+ seats...) was given to the non-elites if the elite member separate the reservations after that. Does Delta cares?

Last edited by Frank_Mao; Jun 21, 22 at 11:29 am
Old Jun 21, 22, 10:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Others can chime in, but my understanding based on previous posts is that his companion upgrade would be cancelled if you cancel your ticket. I believe if you get him into a preferred seat (eg exit row) using your status that he may be able to keep that.
Old Jun 22, 22, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tardyturtle View Post
Others can chime in, but my understanding based on previous posts is that his companion upgrade would be cancelled if you cancel your ticket. I believe if you get him into a preferred seat (eg exit row) using your status that he may be able to keep that.
Haven't there been reports of C+ "upgraded" seats being kept? I wouldn't expect a free FC upgrade to be retained.

Any change is likely to result in a shuffling of seat assignments--even a minor schedule change by a few minutes or a change of flight number--and in that case even preferred seats are likely to be lost. This will surely happen if there's a change of aircraft type, even if the same seats are classified as being of the same category on the new aircraft.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tardyturtle View Post
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, that is the same thing came in my mind, too. Lol

But, really, not even he checked in for the FC or C+, will still be downgrade?
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Haven't there been reports of C+ "upgraded" seats being kept? I wouldn't expect a free FC upgrade to be retained.

Any change is likely to result in a shuffling of seat assignments--even a minor schedule change by a few minutes or a change of flight number--and in that case even preferred seats are likely to be lost. This will surely happen if there's a change of aircraft type, even if the same seats are classified as being of the same category on the new aircraft.
DL only use A220 to fly IAH-SLC, so basically, there won't be aircraft changes, unless A220-100 change to A220-300.
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Posting on a forum of frequent flyers vying for increasingly hard to come by upgrades asking how to circumvent upgrade rules and exploit loopholes so that someone who isn't entitled to an upgrade gets one, leaving a medallion in the back, is unlikely to garner much sympathy tbqh.
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Frank_Mao View Post
DL only use A220 to fly IAH-SLC, so basically, there won't be aircraft changes, unless A220-100 change to A220-300.
This might be true for your specific individual case, but others might later want to use this thread as an information resource.
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:25 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Originally Posted by Frank_Mao View Post
Thanks for the reply. Honestly, that is the same thing came in my mind, too. Lol

But, really, not even he checked in for the FC or C+, will still be downgrade?
Maybe they'll just move him to the ejector seat.
Old Jun 22, 22, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm DL Platinum and was traveling with a Gold companion on the same reservation, so we were both confirmed into C+ well in advance. We subsequently had to separate the reservation, but he kept the C+ seat (and this was prior to T-72h when he would have been eligible for it on his own status). I was still on the flight, though; but I believe the only way to get a companion upgrade to C+ is if it's on the same reservation. So one data point that the companion could potentially retain a C+ seat.

Search this Thread