Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hidden city ticketing on Delta - Consolidated Threads

Hidden city ticketing on Delta - Consolidated Threads

Old Jun 4, 16, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Hidden City and then Flying Back on an Award Ticket

I'm trying to get to Minneapolis for a weekend later this month. It makes abundant sense to fly a Delta hidden city ticket on the way there xxx - MSP - LAS. However, the best option on the return is to fly back on Delta miles on a non-stop out of MSP.

The first ticket is a hidden city ticket and the second ticket is a normal award ticket on a different PNR. If only the second (award) flight is associated with my FF account, would this be a problem?
Old Jun 4, 16, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by thrifty5 View Post
I'm trying to get to Minneapolis for a weekend later this month. It makes abundant sense to fly a Delta hidden city ticket on the way there xxx - MSP - LAS. However, the best option on the return is to fly back on Delta miles on a non-stop out of MSP.

The first ticket is a hidden city ticket and the second ticket is a normal award ticket on a different PNR. If only the second (award) flight is associated with my FF account, would this be a problem?
I would not risk it - but welcome to FT.
Old Jun 4, 16, 11:25 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
You may wish to check Delta's CoC to see if they have any restrictions on using so-called "hidden city" ticketing. Since Delta offers one-way award fares, I don't see why it would be a problem for you to purchase and fly on a one-way award ticket.
Old Jun 4, 16, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
It's one of those things that DL could hit you for if they chose. Has there been any documented cases here of DL trying to bill people after the fact, or suspending accounts?

Doing it once in a blue moon is probably Ok, but I wouldn't associate your DL FF number with it (you could credit it to a partner, or just accept that you're not getting miles in exchange for a cheaper ticket).
Old Jun 4, 16, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
It's one of those things that DL could hit you for if they chose.
That is why I would not risk it.
Old Jun 4, 16, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The return flight has little to do with anything.

The outbound hidden city gets discussed every week or so. The short answer is:

. It is against DL rules, but they are extremely unlikely to anything about it when done occasionally.

. Can not check bags. Possibly even carry on could be gate checked to LAS, so keep the bags small.

. DL does not promise you a flight to MSP. If they route you through SLC or such, you have no claim in any way against them. And could well pay a lot for a day of departure ticket to fix the problem.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jun 4, 16 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 4, 16, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Hmm alright. I will be flying with a personal item only and it's the last flight of the night, and the morning flights the next day are also via MSP.

I'm not going to associate my DL FF with the first ticket--but I'm hearing that there's no way that getting noticed on the hidden city ticket would impact the second award ticket?
Old Jun 4, 16, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
No idea how they run programs looking for hidden city stuff. Name match? Or FF number match?

Doing hidden is common and never heard of anyone posting here with a problem. Actually, I can not think of anyone having account problems other than folks apparently selling miles/tickets.

If you leave you FF number of the paid for ticket, and are willing to give up the segment/miles/secret coded points/etc....then I would go for it.

And of course the IRROPS that might send you to Vegas instead. Did not see your origination city.
Old Jun 4, 16, 8:59 pm

The hidden city ticket would definitely not affect your award ticket. I wouldn't even delete my FF number form the first ticket. People worry too much.
Old Jun 4, 16, 9:15 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
As long as the award doesn't overlap the revenue ticket you should be fine. You say a weekend in MSP so you have plenty of time to get back to MSP from LAS on other carriers. I would proceed as you originally planned.
Old Mar 5, 17, 7:24 am
Suspended

Hidden City ticket reality of Delta punishing?

Taking a trip to Asia for which the return flight has a connection. The first stop is my home city and I plan to not board the final leg of this trip. I know it's against the rules, but I've never done it before. What is the reality that Delta will call me out on it after missing the flight. My big concern would be losing the MQMs for the flights I actually took. Has anyone reading this actually been "punished" for doing this?
Old Mar 5, 17, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Chances of a lone incident being punished, especially if you don't do anything else in gray areas, is almost nill.

don't forget to not check any bags.
Old Mar 5, 17, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Superib View Post
Taking a trip to Asia for which the return flight has a connection. The first stop is my home city and I plan to not board the final leg of this trip. I know it's against the rules, but I've never done it before. What is the reality that Delta will call me out on it after missing the flight. My big concern would be losing the MQMs for the flights I actually took. Has anyone reading this actually been "punished" for doing this?
Welcome to FT. The above post is pretty much the situation, but it would help if you gave more details. We can guess you are flying back to the US, but that's not clear and would certain have an effect. If you are going through customs on your return to "home city", then you should be able to just leave the airport without rechecking bags to "final city". Assuming your ticket is cheaper returning to another city, DL could charge you for the direct return, but if you search prior threads you will see that it doesn't happen for a one time occurrence. No guarantees though.
Old Mar 5, 17, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Details matter. The fewer you provide, the less valuable the advice you obtain. Have you done this before? Any other violations of DL ticketing or SM rules?
Old Mar 5, 17, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What international arrival airport? Checked bags at ATL can be a problem.

Search this Thread