Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hidden city ticketing on Delta - Consolidated Threads

Hidden city ticketing on Delta - Consolidated Threads

Old Mar 5, 17, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
As others will say likely nothing. It happens. Do it a bunch? More chance of an issue.

With something like this it's always YMMV and your risk and your reward.
Old Mar 5, 17, 10:32 am

As mentioned, the risk of DL punishing you is nonexistent. Unless you're on DL's radar (and very, very, very few people are), it will go completely unnoticed.

The only risk you need to be concerned with is operational irregularities. I've been burned several times; for example, last year I booked LAX-DTW-IND but on the day of departure, the LAX-DTW leg was downgauged to a 763 to 757 and I was rebooked on a direct LAX-IND that left around the same time (and no, no compensation is due).

Be prepared and have a backup plan if things go wrong.
Old Mar 5, 17, 11:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Welcome to FlyerTalk - Delta Forum!

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What international arrival airport? Checked bags at ATL can be a problem.
Yes, THIS!

If ATL is your planned end point, and you have larger bags than you can carry on the plane, and you arrive at Terminal E, you may be in trouble. Teminal F - no problem, but, you never know where you'll end up!
Old Mar 5, 17, 11:57 am

Also keep in mind delta has no obligation to fly you to your first airport.

Say you're flying nrt-atl-stl with the intention of getting off at atl and missing the flight to St. Louis. If your Tokyo to Atlanta flight is delayed or cancelled delta could easily reroute you via another airport. They may choose to send you via Detroit and then you'll need to find your own way back to Atlanta.

They likely wont fine you or cancel your slymiles accoint but the above seems a lot riskier to me.
Old Mar 5, 17, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
"Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive" -- Sir Walter Scott

Obeying the rules is so much easier.

And, so much fairer to other customers who might need the seat that OP intends to leave in limbo until the last moment when he/she no-shows.
Old Mar 5, 17, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
"Oh! What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive" -- Sir Walter Scott

And, so much fairer to other customers who might need the seat that OP intends to leave in limbo until the last moment when he/she no-shows.
So if the 14" pizza is on sale, cheaper than the 12". you would NEVER order the 14" and leave a piece on the plate?

They are selling a route and he's only going to use part of it. Who is that screwing over? Some hypothetical person who wanted to buy that seat and couldn't?
Old Mar 5, 17, 4:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post

So, if this was you, you'd pay a $300(?) international change fee, and reprice the whole ticket at a likely higher price just to avoid a final walk-away segment? (assuming that the OP already bought the ticket)

Based on posts here, this happens somewhat frequently to business types, when meetings and plans change.
Old Mar 5, 17, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Terminal E, you may be in trouble. Teminal F - no problem, but, you never know where you'll end up!
Well, if you're taking AF/KL/VS (or KE 747?) you'll most certainly be on F, or if you are arriving from South America first thing in the morning. Otherwise it's a crapshoot.
Old Mar 6, 17, 6:59 am
Suspended

Thanks for the responses all.

I was probably being overly paranoid by using a throwaway account for this post and being vague. Here is a little more detail:

My connection point coming back into the USA is DTW. From there supposed to get on another flight to Flint Michigan. I want to skip the Flint flight and just leave the airport. It was like $500 cheaper ticket then just buying my round trip to/from DTW. I will not be checking bags.

Here is my other concern: There will be 3 of us on this flight (all on diff PNRs) with the same plan (2 of us with the same last name.) Will that raise any further red flags? It will be a pretty small plane from DTW-FNT. We were thinking if Delta questioned it we would just say we were in the bar an missed the connection. That has to happen all the time. None of us have broken Delta rules in the past.

Not the end of the world if we end up in Flint but then will have to arrange some sort of transportation from there to home and add hours to an already very long day.
Old Mar 6, 17, 7:10 am

I didnt even know you DL flew DTW-FNT anymore.

My thoughts as mentioned earlier - no, theyre not going to arrest you or fine you and there is a 99% chance you'll just be a no show and you'll get full credit for the flights.

If I were you my bigger concern would be a severe delay or cancellation of your Asia-DTW flight. They could easily re-route you via MSP or ATL to Flint and then you'd pretty much have to take that flight. Delta's obligation is to get you to Flint, not to get you to Flint via DTW.

Though I suppose if that happened you wouldn't be in thaaat bad of a place. I'm sure for the $1,500 you saved by flying to flint is still worth it if you have to take a $100 uber ride to get back to DTW.

For $1,500 in savings i'd take the risk. For $100 in savings i'd just book my intended flights. Good luck.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 17, 7:39 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Are you connecting through MSP or ATL after DTW? As far as I can tell, Delta no longer flies DTW-FNT.
Old Mar 6, 17, 7:56 am

DL Doesn't fly DTW/FNT anymore.

So assuming OP is just mistaken and not trolling us...

The odds of you running into any official issues with Delta is incredibly low and functionally zero.

The odds of you possibly running into un-official issues with Schedule Changes, or IROP re-routes is considerably higher. Well under 50% but still a very real possibility.

You need to figure out of the savings between the hidden city tickets is enough to chance having to potentially either rent a car, or buy another ticket to your actual destination. There certainly is an amount of money that would make chancing it worth it, but make sure it is before you do it.
Old Mar 6, 17, 8:46 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by Superib View Post
I was probably being overly paranoid by using a throwaway account for this post
Oops.
Old Mar 6, 17, 8:55 am

I know one person who got caught on hidden city ticketing.

Of course, he did it for 4 months every Friday before they busted him. (he was flying to Atlanta and figured out it was cheaper to buy a flight to someplace else and just get off the plane in Atlanta. He would buy a one way to his work location and an one way back to "someplace cheap" with a connection in Atlanta! ) Delta was not nice once they busted him, but I don't recall all the details any longer.
Old Mar 6, 17, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by orca15 View Post
So if the 14" pizza is on sale, cheaper than the 12". you would NEVER order the 14" and leave a piece on the plate?

They are selling a route and he's only going to use part of it. Who is that screwing over? Some hypothetical person who wanted to buy that seat and couldn't?
First question... My purchase of a 14" pizza does not preclude someone else purchasing a pizza (and I would take the last piece home). Ludicrous analogy. Try again. Try harder next time.

Second question... Yes. Now, perhaps some standby at the airport might use the seat. But, if I am at home, needing to purchase a seat on the "sold out" flight, then I have been disadvantaged.

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
So, if this was you, you'd pay a $300(?) international change fee, and reprice the whole ticket at a likely higher price just to avoid a final walk-away segment? (assuming that the OP already bought the ticket)

Based on posts here, this happens somewhat frequently to business types, when meetings and plans change.
Nothing in the OP's post indicates any last minute exigent circumstances. In fact, his second post says:

"My connection point coming back into the USA is DTW. From there supposed to get on another flight to Flint Michigan. I want to skip the Flint flight and just leave the airport. It was like $500 cheaper ticket then just buying my round trip to/from DTW. I will not be checking bags."

He is merely, for his convenience, trying to avoid the fare basis that he agreed to with the original ticket purchase. He has already deprived the airline of $500 in income, and now wants to have his cake and eat it too. His actions are fully premeditated. (I am surprised that there are no responses from the stockholders on this issue.)

What would I do? I would honor the agreement that I originally entered into.

Just trying to look at this from the airline's point of view.

We bellyache here when there is a perception that the airline is not following the rules (as in the ad nauseum Sheena threads, or when we perceive that we have been wrongly deprived of a SDC opportunity) but then we counsel others on how they can avoid complying with the rules, to their advantage.

Seems more than a bit hypocritical.

For the record... I have just defended DL. Fair is fair. Or, in the OP's case... Fare in unfair, since he is trying to game the system.

Search this Thread