T-Mobile - Free Viasat Wifi

Old Jun 17, 22, 8:16 am
Original Poster

T-Mobile - Free Viasat Wifi

Saw an article this AM saying T-Mobile magenta max customers now can get free wifi on Delta

From my understanding this was always true with the prior gogo but this didnít work on the new high speed viasat.

the article specifically mentions viasat so hopefully Iím interpreting this correctly and the benefit works again

ďThe in-flight Wi-Fi portion applies to Delta, American, and Alaska Airlines, with United coming soon, according to T-Mobile, which made a deal with satellite providers Viasat and Intelsat to get the service for its customers.Ē
hurnik and breathesrain like this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Hertz Presidential
Correct, as a Tmobile customer I still had free gogo but not Viasat. So now we'll be able to access Viasat which makes sense since they want to continue the deal. Ironically though I'm not a Magenta customer and get it to work no problem.
hurnik and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Jun 17, 22, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cubeman View Post
Correct, as a Tmobile customer I still had free gogo but not Viasat. So now we'll be able to access Viasat which makes sense since they want to continue the deal. Ironically though I'm not a Magenta customer and get it to work no problem.
I read that it starts 6/21, are you using it now on a gogo flight or are you saying the free Viasat is working free ahead of schedule (today) ?
Old Jun 17, 22, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by StangGT909 View Post
I read that it starts 6/21, are you using it now on a gogo flight or are you saying the free Viasat is working free ahead of schedule (today) ?
I'm talking about Gogo, Haven't tried viasat yet but I'll update if they fixed the Magenta plan only working as I'm on a much older plan.
Old Jun 18, 22, 3:08 am

Programs: DL GM
The marketing only mentions Magenta plans, but the FAQ at the bottom of this page lists several other plans that are also eligible including the One plan which I believe was the top tier plan when they first rolled out the Gogo partnership https://www.t-mobile.com/benefits/travel/in-flight-wifi

Note there is a difference in the older/lower tier plans as theyíll only get 4 flights of full-flight WiFi per year, but will continue to get 1 hour of WiFi + unlimited messaging.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by cubeman View Post
I'm a Magenta customer and I'll be checking to see if this works next month. Does anyone know what the time limits are, or is it the duration of the flight?
Old Jun 18, 22, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
delete
Old Jun 18, 22, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier, AAdvantage Gold, IHG Ambassador, Hilton G Hyatt E
T-Mobile user, DL Platinum…used it for free Thursday MCI-DTW, then again DTW-RIC. Pleased!!,
dtwtransport likes this.
Old Jun 18, 22, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I am an longtime One plan member - does this apply to international segments as well?

(apologies for dumb question)
Old Jun 19, 22, 5:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
I am an longtime One plan member - does this apply to international segments as well?

(apologies for dumb question)
Yes. To and From the USA and within.
Old Jun 19, 22, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
OK thanks - if I have four segments of full wifi for 2022 this should work out well for my trips the rest of the year. Too bad about only one hour on the fifth flight though...
Old Jun 19, 22, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
OK thanks - if I have four segments of full wifi for 2022 this should work out well for my trips the rest of the year. Too bad about only one hour on the fifth flight though...
It could be just unlimited for one flight. I take whatever I can get. If I need WiFi that bad I just pay for it. It's cheaper than buying a fast food meal.
Old Jun 19, 22, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
i've utilized free WIFI for T-Mobile customers on Delta flights for a while now. Seems to work only on domestic flights but the important caveat is that you only receive 1 HOUR of free WIFI. Not unlimited time. Maybe this is different than what I have seen in the past but sounds very familiar.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 10:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mridley2 View Post
i've utilized free WIFI for T-Mobile customers on Delta flights for a while now. Seems to work only on domestic flights but the important caveat is that you only receive 1 HOUR of free WIFI. Not unlimited time. Maybe this is different than what I have seen in the past but sounds very familiar.
I've actually used this free hour on international flights as well .( To Europe specifically)
zmb likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Delta is slowly upgrading their Wi-Fi on the flights. They went from slow, ground based Gogo Wi-Fi, to satellite based Gogo, and have been rolling out Viasat on newer planes. The way you can usually tell which system your flight has:
- flights with no live TV are generally ground-based Gogo
- flights with live TV are mostly Gogo satellite based (and you’ll get a Gogo splash screen / routed to Gogo as you log in)
- flights with flat $5 internet are Viasat. These often show “New Wi-Fi” in the online booking portal / app booking portal.

T-Mobile provided free Wi-Fi or 1 hour, depending on your T-Mobile plan only on Gogo. The login screen shows this free option on phones only, not on most tablets and not on laptops.

Now, they appear to be rolling it out on Viasat as part of this enhancement. I did not see this option on Friday on my two Viasat flights. In each case I paid $5 for a flight pass, which I didn’t mind but free is always better.
hurnik, Hoof Hunter, dw and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread