Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile - Free Viasat Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
T-Mobile is also offering Free AAA for a year

T-Mobile Free AAA for a year
hurnik likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I actually switched from my grandfathered One Plus Plan to Magenta Max for this since you also get 5GB of international high speed data too in +210 countries. I often do 5-6 international trips a year and this would come in VERY handy!
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
T-Mobile is also offering Free AAA for a year

T-Mobile Free AAA for a year
...and apparently extends any current AAA membership for an additional year. I'm liking T-Mobile lately.
Points Scrounger and hurnik like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As a One customer I have wifi for my three hour flight it seems, but no mention of using "one of four" of these anywhere. Out of curiosity, I had clicked on the $15 purchase link to log in.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by High Technology
Delta is slowly upgrading their Wi-Fi on the flights. They went from slow, ground based Gogo Wi-Fi, to satellite based Gogo, and have been rolling out Viasat on newer planes. The way you can usually tell which system your flight has:
- flights with no live TV are generally ground-based Gogo
- flights with live TV are mostly Gogo satellite based (and you’ll get a Gogo splash screen / routed to Gogo as you log in)
- flights with flat $5 internet are Viasat. These often show “New Wi-Fi” in the online booking portal / app booking portal.

T-Mobile provided free Wi-Fi or 1 hour, depending on your T-Mobile plan only on Gogo. The login screen shows this free option on phones only, not on most tablets and not on laptops.

Now, they appear to be rolling it out on Viasat as part of this enhancement. I did not see this option on Friday on my two Viasat flights. In each case I paid $5 for a flight pass, which I didn’t mind but free is always better.
At mainline the only ground based wifi (ATG) is the 717 fleet.

Then you have the satellite Ku Band Gogo which activates at 10K feet

Satellite 2Ku Gogo which is gate to gate

and finally Viasat.

Obviously the 717s don’t offer Seatback IFE and the live tv has been on a mix of Ku and 2Ku aircraft in my experience.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by ceebee100
I actually switched from my grandfathered One Plus Plan to Magenta Max for this since you also get 5GB of international high speed data too in +210 countries. I often do 5-6 international trips a year and this would come in VERY handy!
I switched to T-Mobile years ago because I didn't have to pay for texts and data (speeds weren't great) when traveling internationally. I'm excited to try the "high speed" data and see if there is a difference.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by kipper
I switched to T-Mobile years ago because I didn't have to pay for texts and data (speeds weren't great) when traveling internationally. I'm excited to try the "high speed" data and see if there is a difference.
There is a huge difference! I used to pay for the 5GB plan ($30 or something) when I travel and it's way faster than the normal 3G speeds you get for free. Sometimes it's 4G LTE or 5G depending on the country. Now that's included so more $30 plans for me when I go overseas.
I'll see if it works on Mon. Going to UK, France and Italy so it will be a good test for all those countries.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:07 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Thanks for posting the link to the AAA offer; it was very easy to add it to my existing account. I've also been using the free WiFi on Delta flights for a few years (mostly domestic) and it's been a nice benefit.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
As a One customer I have wifi for my three hour flight it seems, but no mention of using "one of four" of these anywhere. Out of curiosity, I had clicked on the $15 purchase link to log in.
I did not see this either when I used it last wed on my way to DUB.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
There is a huge difference! I used to pay for the 5GB plan ($30 or something) when I travel and it's way faster than the normal 3G speeds you get for free. Sometimes it's 4G LTE or 5G depending on the country. Now that's included so more $30 plans for me when I go overseas.
I'll see if it works on Mon. Going to UK, France and Italy so it will be a good test for all those countries.
Thanks. I didn't realize I could upgrade speeds before.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
5GB is a data limit. 5G is s different technology.

So I'm not sure I understand the comment in that context.

5G will depend on if your phone is compatible, right?
Old Jun 26, 2022, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
5GB is a data limit. 5G is s different technology.

So I'm not sure I understand the comment in that context.

5G will depend on if your phone is compatible, right?
Allow me to clarify. You now get 5 gigabytes of international data with up to 5G speeds. The old plan I had was limited to 3G speeds unless you paid extra for the travel data plan. Now, you get 5G speed for free, assuming your phone is 5G capable and the country you are visiting has 5G.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:49 am

Allow me to clarify. You now get 5 gigabytes of international data with up to 5G speeds. The old plan I had was limited to 3G speeds unless you paid extra for the travel data plan. Now, you get 5G speed for free, assuming your phone is 5G capable and the country you are visiting has 5G.

I suppose I'm wondering if your phone has to be 5G compatible for that to be the case. May not work for my iphone 7...
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
I suppose I'm wondering if your phone has to be 5G compatible for that to be the case. May not work for my iphone 7...
Your IPhone 7 is not 5G compatible. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211828
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:48 am

Your IPhone 7 is not 5G compatible. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211828
My point exactly. Likely only helpful if one has a 5G phone. May not be so useful for those of us without.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.