Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta debuts limited-edition Amex Reserve card, made from a Boeing 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta debuts limited-edition Amex Reserve card, made from a Boeing 747

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Mhyduchak
My only real issue is how does Delta know I have a Reserve card now for the upgrade tie breaker? Card is in my delta wallet but I'm typically purchasing flights on work travel. Does that mean I don't activate the tie breaker? Delta IT barely works, can't imagine there's a scan of everyone's online wallet when they build the upgrade list??
I don't think it matters whether it's listed in your payment methods, just as long as the card is associated with your SkyMiles account, they have a record of that.

You should see this down the left hand side of this page: https://www.delta.com/acctactvty/myskymiles.action

Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My Reserve card, old plastic version, has my SkyMiles number printed on the front in small numbers.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I got my personal in the mail yesterday (still don’t have my business and it’s not on my informed delivery today but no big deal) and noticed it doesn’t say reserve on the front. I know it won’t be a big deal for trying to access the centurion lounge since they have AmEx info, but not sure how it will work at the Escape Lounges where the reserve card is the only Delta card that gets you access.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I got my personal in the mail yesterday (still don’t have my business and it’s not on my informed delivery today but no big deal) and noticed it doesn’t say reserve on the front. I know it won’t be a big deal for trying to access the centurion lounge since they have AmEx info, but not sure how it will work at the Escape Lounges where the reserve card is the only Delta card that gets you access.
Escape lounges are now AmEx Centurion Studio lounges, so they should hav access to AmEx info.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Got mine today too. I really like it, don't mind the weight or lettering issues though they are there and could be deal breakers for some.

My only real issue is how does Delta know I have a Reserve card now for the upgrade tie breaker? Card is in my delta wallet but I'm typically purchasing flights on work travel. Does that mean I don't activate the tie breaker? Delta IT barely works, can't imagine there's a scan of everyone's online wallet when they build the upgrade list??
Check the back of your card. Your SkyMiles number appears on the back lower left corner. As long at the number is correct, you are automatically identified by Delta as Reserve Card Holder in your PNR, (assuming you enter your Sky Miles number in the PNR) whether you pay with that card or not. I think the tie breaker is not exactly as important as people originally thought. It is pretty far down the list of importance. Card being in your "wallet" does not enter into the situation.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My new card arrived in the mail today and the very first purchase was fittingly a Delta flight.

Got mine today too. I really like it, don't mind the weight or lettering issues though they are there and could be deal breakers for some.

As others have noted, it should be linked to your Skymiles Account that you have a DL Reserve Card. I access the SkyClub via my DL Reserve and I don't have to present the card to an agent when checking in to the SkyClub. They scan my boarding pass, they see that I have the Reserve, and welcome me into the club.
rcsgeorgia likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC, CLEAR
Thanks everyone!
Card shows on the delta site and it has my SM#
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DELee
Received mine today...

David
Show us the back of the card, or I'm calling photoshop. 😈😋
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 5:33 pm

For those who plan to keep the 747 special edition card as a souvenir and not use it: A phone agent confirmed to me today that when you activate the 747 card, it renders your previous Reserve card void. OTOH if you never activate the new 747 card, after 60 days your old Reserve card also becomes void and you must obtain a new Reserve card, with a new number, for security as AmEx will assume that a card was lost in the mail, stolen, etc.
rcsgeorgia and WSTC like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For those who plan to keep the 747 special edition card as a souvenir and not use it: A phone agent confirmed to me today that when you activate the 747 card, it renders your previous Reserve card void. OTOH if you never activate the new 747 card, after 60 days your old Reserve card also becomes void and you must obtain a new Reserve card, with a new number, for security as AmEx will assume that a card was lost in the mail, stolen, etc.
The other option (my plan) is when the 747 card expires and I get my next card is to just not return the 747 card to AmEx for disposal
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:03 pm

Genius; I'll be doing the same
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Frozenguy
why? Also they currently offer a purple card made with 70% recycled plastics.
you don’t like the metal?
I'm pretty secure with my self and don't need to put on a show to pretend I'm more important than I am.

My goal in life is to keep my wallet LESS heavy, not more. Old Black reserve card is nice and light. Wish my platinum card could be plastic too
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
My goal in life is to keep my wallet LESS heavy, not more.
And the thick metal cards are such a pain to use at many of those parking meter machines.
Mhyduchak likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by GaryO3
"Amex overnights new premium card accounts but only uses First Class Mail for standard replacement cards, so your impression is correct. I've changed designs on my Platinum, Gold, BBP, and now the Reserve and every replacement was sent via First Class Mail and took about a week to arrive despite all of them being overnighted when I first opened the account, with the exception of the BBP which is not a premium card."

Also seems to apply to upgrades, even if previously held Reserve card. In 2020 when my travel shut down, I canceled the Reserve and kept the DL Gold (Along with Schwab Platinum)... on Friday upgraded DL Gold to Reserve and just received e-mail from FedEx that it'll be here tomorrow.
They can overnight replacement cards if you call to request the replacement and specifically ask for it to be overnighted, but specialty designs like the 747 probably cannot be overnighted. They need to have a high enough volume of any particular card type to overnight, and specialty designs probably don't meet that volume.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Does anyone have visibility as to whether these cards will sell out before August 3rd? The website just says "while supplies last."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.