Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta debuts limited-edition Amex Reserve card, made from a Boeing 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta debuts limited-edition Amex Reserve card, made from a Boeing 747

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jmk96
Feels way cheaper than purple card. Much more plastic. Weighs much less. Very disappointed.
Wonder what the metal composition of the regular cards is? Potentially with there being 25% aluminum in the new cards, they could feel lighter and more flimsy since aluminum is relatively soft?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Mine arrived today.
New card is 12 grams. Old card is 17g. However, the new one likely has more aluminum.

Overall it feels fine. It is a little hard to read the name on the front.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by KRUXED
In general, its best not to upgrade the card but rather keep your old card and apply for this one as new- that way you are eligible to collect the sign up bonuses
Yes the signup bonuses are often very lucrative, while the upgrade bonuses are stingy. Kind of like Delta.

David
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:15 pm

Got my card. Very disappointed. Too light. I won’t activate it, will just keep my current purple one.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Got my card. Very disappointed. Too light. I won’t activate it, will just keep my current purple one.
Are you sure you can do this? My impression is that the old card will be cancelled after some time even if you don't activate the new card. This is what my phone agent said, although he didn't know how long. I guess a solution would be to request a new purple card, but there would probably be a gap during which you'd have no card.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you sure you can do this? My impression is that the old card will be cancelled after some time even if you don't activate the new card. This is what my phone agent said, although he didn't know how long. I guess a solution would be to request a new purple card, but there would probably be a gap during which you'd have no card.
I haven't tried this myself but I've seen multiple data points here and on Reddit that you can continue using the old card without it getting disabled. There have even been cases where an AU wanted a different design than the primary cardholder so the primary cardholder requested new cards with no intention of ever activating theirs so that the primary cardholder and AU could have different designs, although that's moot now since Amex has since allowed designs for AU cards to be individually changed.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Am I the only one who wants lighter and thinner cards? Not that I have any need for carrying the Reserve around anyway.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
Am I the only one who wants lighter and thinner cards? Not that I have any need for carrying the Reserve around anyway.
Apparently you are, most folks seem to like the clinkers.
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
For the record, the card does not appear to be any thinner. I put them both side by side and they are the same thickness on the edge.
I put them on the scale to see the difference in weight.

I also carry the Amex Plat, so I'm all for the lighter aluminum card.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
Thanks for the posting - ordered mine on Friday and got it Tuesday. Pretty cool novelty item. Makes me wonder if I ever flew on this aircraft?

Last edited by GregInMN; Jun 23, 2022 at 9:28 am
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
For those that want a thinner and lighter card, you can order the Delta Reserve in recycled plastic (I imagine it feel similar to the Amex Green, which is now the lightest card in my wallet)
jetsfan92588 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Received mine today.
I know my eyesight ain't what it used to be but the writing on the new card is much fainter than the metal card it replaced.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Mine arrived today! ... And they sent me a replacement purple card.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC, CLEAR
Got mine today too. I really like it, don't mind the weight or lettering issues though they are there and could be deal breakers for some.

My only real issue is how does Delta know I have a Reserve card now for the upgrade tie breaker? Card is in my delta wallet but I'm typically purchasing flights on work travel. Does that mean I don't activate the tie breaker? Delta IT barely works, can't imagine there's a scan of everyone's online wallet when they build the upgrade list??

Last edited by Mhyduchak; Jun 23, 2022 at 11:17 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 23, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mhyduchak
My only real issue is how does Delta know I have a Reserve card now for the upgrade tie breaker? Card is in my delta wallet but I'm typically purchasing flights on work travel. Does that mean I don't activate the tie breaker? Delta IT barely works, can't imagine there's a scan of everyone's online wallet when they build the upgrade list??
The card is linked to your SkyMiles account (you should have entered your SkyMiles number on the Amex site when you applied). It doesn't matter whether you've added it to your Delta wallet, or how you book your flights.
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.