Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta debuts limited-edition Amex Reserve card, made from a Boeing 747

Delta debuts limited-edition Amex Reserve card, made from a Boeing 747

Old Jul 29, 22, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Had the 747 card for nearly a month now and while it's still an option for me to re-order as a replacement a couple of friends who attempted to change to the new design did not have the option to do so.
Old Jul 29, 22, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
PreCheck metal detector or non PreCheck body scanner?
Precheck metal detector.
Old Jul 31, 22, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Does anyone know where the 747 cards ship from? My initial 747 card was shipped from Florida but wouldn't activate when it arrived. The replacement, which I don't have yet, shipped from Omaha and I'm worried it's the purple card.
Old Jul 31, 22, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Does anyone know where the 747 cards ship from? My initial 747 card was shipped from Florida but wouldn't activate when it arrived. The replacement, which I don't have yet, shipped from Omaha and I'm worried it's the purple card.
Mine shipped from Florida.
Old Aug 10, 22, 11:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Seems the 747 cards did sunset as promised on 8/3. Also welcome offer went from 110,000 miles to 50,000. Hope everyone who wanted one got one.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I will report the card is splitting into three in one of the corners already. It is not as well put together as the purple card. Frankly I may replace with the plastic purple version.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
I will report the card is splitting into three in one of the corners already. It is not as well put together as the purple card. Frankly I may replace with the plastic purple version.
I was afraid of that. I ordered one and never activated it. Just kept using the purple one.
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I will report the card is “splitting” into three in one of the corners already. It is not as well put together as the purple card. Frankly I may replace with the plastic purple version.
You weren't supposed to chew on the card.

David
jetsfan92588 and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is View Post
I was afraid of that. I ordered one and never activated it. Just kept using the purple one.
I did this too and eventually my purple one stopped working.
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Hertz Presidential
With metal cards it's been a hit or miss for me across brands. My Purple card lived fine for over a year before the 747 card. My Chase Sapphire Reserve card is splitting/chipping in a corner about a year after issue. The 747 card is fine so far.
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Are most people using the reserve card to get the MQD waiver (and presumably the MQM bonus if you're already going for the waiver)? Otherwise, I'm curious what people are using their reserve card for. I would have figured that those people who have the reserve would be into the game enough that they would have at least one other credit card that presumably earns more than 1 mile/$. Do some people only have the reserve card as their only credit card?
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 View Post
Are most people using the reserve card to get the MQD waiver (and presumably the MQM bonus if you're already going for the waiver)? Otherwise, I'm curious what people are using their reserve card for. I would have figured that those people who have the reserve would be into the game enough that they would have at least one other credit card that presumably earns more than 1 mile/$. Do some people only have the reserve card as their only credit card?
1) Remember that most people only have a few cards, and many prioritize benefits. Delta Reserve provides a lot of benefits for Delta flyers, including lounge access, companion pass, 3x earning on Delta, upgrade priority, ability to earn MQD. If people lIke these benefits, they may as well use the Amex card, which offers good general customer service. It’s not a game to there kinds of users, just a valuable card with good customer service

2) For those in the game more, it’s all about MQM and the companion pass. For many, the card helps achieve Platinum or Diamond status. I’ve spent on a Reserve consistently the last few years and will achieve Diamond this year. Diamond is very good for domestic upgrades out of NYC, and certificates like RUC and GUC can be worth thousands of dollars, which may be worth we’ll more than a few more redeemable points. At the end he of the day it is one of my most used cards and I get a lot out of it. YMMV.

Last edited by Adelphos; Sep 23, 22 at 8:27 am Reason: Correcting point 2
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Hertz Presidential
For me I naturally spend $15k on fares so MQD's aren't my issue but getting the MQM's is. If there wasn't roll over this year I'd be about 40k MQM's short of Diamond. What helped was throwing my prop taxes on the card plus my 15k fares for the MQM boost. That plus upgrade priority really matters when it seems to come down to check-in time for some of us Diamond with Reserve cards and upgrade priority. MQM's are the bane of my existance and I'll clear 250k MQM's this year hopefully so Diamond will be easy for 2024 also.
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If I put spend on it, it's for the waiver and/or MQMs. It's a reasonably attractive rate to buy MQM: about $400 (opportunity cost) for 15,000 MQM and zero hours spent MRing in Y. Depends on my flying stats for the year.

Otherwise it's a sock-drawer card that prints companion certificates and lounge access at huge value compared to the AF.
Old Sep 23, 22, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
1) Remember that most people only have a few cards, and many prioritize benefits. Delta Reserve provides a lot of benefits for Delta flyers, including lounge access, companion pass, 3x earning on Delta, upgrade priority, ability to earn MQD. If people lIke these benefits, they may as well use the Amex card, which offers good general customer service. Its not a game to there kinds of users, just a valuable card with good customer service

2) For those in the game more, its all about MQM and the companion pass. For many, the card helps achieve Platinum or Diamond status. Ive spent on a Reserve consistently the last few years and will achieve Diamond this year. Diamond is very good for domestic upgrades out of NYC, and certificates like RUC and GUC can be worth thousands of dollars, which may be worth well more than a few more redeemable points. At the end he of the day it is one of my most used cards and I get a lot out of it. YMMV.
Yeah, I'm not knocking the card, and certainly don't mean to turn this into another "should I get the reserve" thread. I have the card for the companion pass primarily, and secondarily for whatever theoretical upgrade boost I get (if I can beat someone out for even just a single upgrade, that's worth $50-$100 to me). But I rarely ever actually use the card to make purchases. I'm just a bit surprised that people with very few credit cards would have found this card, and been willing to pay the high annual fee (even if it's easily worth it, a lot of people who aren't in the cc game immediately reject such a card).

I'm also curious if people used to use the card because of the RDM bonus in addition to the MQM bonus, and now just continue using the card because of inertia and/or they don't know about the change, in which case Amex/Delta have achieved something impressive.

Also, sometimes you ask a question and someone throws you a tidbit in a code-word that lets you know about some MS opportunity that you weren't previously aware of.

Search this Thread