Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I get that there are issues here and there, but maybe it is time to close the thread? Seems like things have normalized, especially relative to competitors
I take it you didn't fly out of JFK this past week?
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I take it you didn't fly out of JFK this past week?
Summer storms at JFK impacting operations is neither new, nor something unique to Delta.

Yesterday, DL had 2 cancellations and 0 delays at JFK. Today, at 0 and 0.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
My PNS trip went flawless until the very end. In fact on the way out, the ATL-PNS was about to be delayed due to FAs coming in from a slightly delayed flight but two off duty FAs overheard the announcement and jumped in to board us until the two late FAs arrived which got us out on time and avoided that delay, way to go on that, was very impressed.
I'm guessing this is a consequence of the new rules paying FAs during boarding - that would enable off-the-clock FAs to jump in, get paid for that time, and then jump out.
emma dog likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'm guessing this is a consequence of the new rules paying FAs during boarding - that would enable off-the-clock FAs to jump in, get paid for that time, and then jump out.
I'd call that a "win", all around.
DenverBrian and hi55us like this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:32 pm

Curious: why is DL 4718 cancelled today?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by FabCW
Curious: why is DL 4718 cancelled today?
WX - line of tstorms across PA and NY has created a lot of delays. Smallest A/C always get cx'd first in these situations to free up slots for larger a/c since it impacts less pax.
FabCW likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
BOS was a mess today... numerous cancellations and most flights delayed once you got past noon time.
Story being told was FAA restrictions due to weather... not sure where since nothing came through the area until evening and then it wasn't even a storm.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
All while raking in near record profits.
Delta seems to be back to profitability but they're nowhere near "record profits"
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan
BOS was a mess today... numerous cancellations and most flights delayed once you got past noon time.
Story being told was FAA restrictions due to weather... not sure where since nothing came through the area until evening and then it wasn't even a storm.
rylan, as I am sure you know, there are IFR routes in and out of Boston that must be closely adhered to as there is not a lot of leeway for weather avoidance like there is out west. Airways in the Northeast are packed so tightly together...no ability to "deviate 20 miles to the south for weather avoidance " like other parts of the country. If one or more of those routes have issues due to convective weather, that has an effect on traffic flow. The fact that Logan itself had no weather issues until late evening is immaterial. The published air routes to/from both the west and southwest both had thunderstorms fairly early in the day.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM; IHG Diamond Amb
Was anybody able to successfully get a cash-refund for any of the summer flight fiascos? I know the answer to my specific case will probably be answered as “weather, tough cookies,” but will ask anyways.

A friend of mine’s wife had a XXX-ATL-DC trip, which was impacted due to the weather and crew shortage issues back in May. At ATL, they told her they couldn’t get her to DC for 3 days and just put her back on a flight to XXX next day. No hotel offered. Stayed overnight in the airport. Luggage not returned to her at ATL of course, and it took 4 days for it to be returned to her at XXX.

She was told by the agent at the airport to file a complaint with Delta asking for a refund. She called and spoke with a supervisor who agreed her case was valid. After 5-6 weeks or so of not hearing a resolution to the refund request, she attempted a charge-back case with AMEX. After a few weeks of that, she was told by AMEX that they spoke with Delta and Delta denied the claim, so the charge-back was declined and Delta was keeping her $450 in airfare.

Not sure what other recourse she has here. She has no status, but is a captive audience with Delta as other carriers at their airport are ULCC/LCC. I’m guessing at this point she would probably take an eCredit, but Delta seems to just be pulling the weather card and telling her to pound sand. So she got to give Delta $450 to spend the night in the ATL concourse and come back home with no luggage and never got to her final.

Something seems amiss here but not sure what to tell her to try next. Sure, no compensation required (as tough as that is) if there is weather and you get in a day late, but telling you “we can’t get you there in a timely manner, so we are just sending you back home” seems like a different scenario…
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Was anybody able to successfully get a cash-refund for any of the summer flight fiascos? ...
Did she go through the delta.com/talktous form? This is a pretty obvious trip in vain, so I believe she should get a refund. Not totally sure how that works for trip in vain, but I'm still waiting on a response for my own travel misfortune in June.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Still waiting on a response from June here too.

One thing that annoys the hell out of me: the cancellation confirmation form should be automated. It's not hard (or at least it shouldn't be) to RPA that process and system generate a confirmation to people who need it for travel insurance etc.

That and their chat tool (undoubtedly a McKinsey/BCG/Bain suggestion) are two of the most frustrating processes from a consumer perspective that I've ever encountered.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:48 pm

I just received the old purple Tumi amenity kit on D1 DL 98 with socks and slippers…
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:52 pm
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by FabCW
I just received the old purple Tumi amenity kit on D1 DL 98 with socks and slippers…
Not sure if on topic, but congrats. The new Someone Somewhere ones are pathetic.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by WannabePBA
Was anybody able to successfully get a cash-refund for any of the summer flight fiascos? I know the answer to my specific case will probably be answered as “weather, tough cookies,” but will ask anyways.

A friend of mine’s wife had a XXX-ATL-DC trip, which was impacted due to the weather and crew shortage issues back in May. At ATL, they told her they couldn’t get her to DC for 3 days and just put her back on a flight to XXX next day. No hotel offered. Stayed overnight in the airport. Luggage not returned to her at ATL of course, and it took 4 days for it to be returned to her at XXX.

She was told by the agent at the airport to file a complaint with Delta asking for a refund. She called and spoke with a supervisor who agreed her case was valid. After 5-6 weeks or so of not hearing a resolution to the refund request, she attempted a charge-back case with AMEX. After a few weeks of that, she was told by AMEX that they spoke with Delta and Delta denied the claim, so the charge-back was declined and Delta was keeping her $450 in airfare.

Not sure what other recourse she has here. She has no status, but is a captive audience with Delta as other carriers at their airport are ULCC/LCC. I’m guessing at this point she would probably take an eCredit, but Delta seems to just be pulling the weather card and telling her to pound sand. So she got to give Delta $450 to spend the night in the ATL concourse and come back home with no luggage and never got to her final.

Something seems amiss here but not sure what to tell her to try next. Sure, no compensation required (as tough as that is) if there is weather and you get in a day late, but telling you “we can’t get you there in a timely manner, so we are just sending you back home” seems like a different scenario…
Even if it’s weather, she is legally entitled to a refund to original form of payment if her flight was cancelled. DL and AMEX are probably seeing that she few the outbound from XXX and assuming the ticket was used. This is definitely a trip in vain, and while i’m not sure of the specifics as to what (if anything) she is entitled to for the flown segments (XXX-ATL-XXX) she is 100% entitled to a refund for the ATL-DC-ATL segments.

I had a trip go haywire back in 2017 and it took 6 months of escalating to get a cash refund for 2 segments that I never flew, while others were flown. Best bet is to keep escalating directly with DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.