Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Seems pretty clear that this can't be blamed on Delta
NYC was impacted by severe TS this afternoon indeed.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Seems pretty clear that this can't be blamed on Delta
Didn’t say it was, a lot of airlines in this line
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
Didn’t say it was, a lot of airlines in this line
the whole point of this thread I thought was to criticize Deltas operations.
emma dog and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Stats for June, as reported by TPG (stats sourced from Flight Aware).

Not great performance for any of the legacies, but, assuming these are accurate, the "meltdown" seems a bit overstated relative to the competition.

Of course, this weekend could change things...

Here are the airlines withe most cancellations and delays...

June 1-28 only: Cancellation and delay stats for the “Big 4” U.S. airlines plus JetBlue (mainline flights)
  • American Airlines: 4,488 canceled (5.2%), 25,149 delayed (28.9%)
  • Delta Air Lines: 2,731 canceled (3.3%), 17,092 delayed (21.0%)
  • JetBlue: 710 canceled (2.8%), 9,088 delayed (35.9%)
  • Southwest Airlines: 1,163 canceled (1.1%), 31,409 delayed (29.5%)
  • United Airlines: 1,955 canceled (3.1%), 14,801 delayed (23.3%)

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jul 1, 2022 at 10:56 pm Reason: gr,format, link added
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

Not great performance for any of the legacies, but, assuming these are accurate, the "meltdown" seems a bit overstated relative to the competition.

Fair to say all of the legacies have been in meltdown mode unfortunately. Surprised American doesn’t have a thread in their forum similar to our’s but it’s likely due to what others have suggested, Delta has been known over the past few years to be very reliable and they fell quite a bit. American on the other hand has never been known for their reliability (quite the opposite actually) but wow they are really trailing behind and definitely won the first installment of who can have the biggest meltdown!
yupenn and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Delta has been known over the past few years to be very reliable and they fell quite a bit.
For sure this is a troubling moment, but the press/blogosphere theme that DL's "credibility is at stake" is a bit overdone, IMHO. All the majors are suffering, and the race to recover and who does it faster/better is very much TBD.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, so DL had the best on-time completion of those carriers.

Would be interesting to see if it’s any different including the regionals.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gobears293
Flying 6:05am SFO-JFK on a 752 tomorrow. Tracking the plane, it's inbound to JFK from Vegas, still showing on-time arrival. And with a 90-minute turnaround, the flight here to SFO is still showing on-time. Willing to bet that doesn't hold up. Fingers crossed.
Well I was right... and then some... inbound flight from JFK tonight was cancelled, so my flight tomorrow was cancelled as well. Assuming there was no way to find an alternate plane. Was auto rebooked on a connecting option through ATL, arriving about midnight. Called customer service (as PM) and got a call back in ~35 minutes. Rebooked on the afternoon direct to Boston (our final destination is in southern Mass.). So ends up being a blessing, get to sleep in, cut ~3 hours off our driving time, and our rental car for the week is $100 cheaper. (This all assumes our Boston flight doesn't get cancelled too!)

Thanks Delta!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Fair to say all of the legacies have been in meltdown mode unfortunately. Surprised American doesn’t have a thread in their forum similar to our’s but it’s likely due to what others have suggested, Delta has been known over the past few years to be very reliable and they fell quite a bit. American on the other hand has never been known for their reliability (quite the opposite actually) but wow they are really trailing behind and definitely won the first installment of who can have the biggest meltdown!
AA flyers are used to horrible service, its just new to DL.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

Here are the airlines withe most cancellations and delays...

Glad to see some actual data for this, there was a lot of back-and-forth about whether or not Delta was an outlier in its meltdowns this month, having consistently higher cancellation rates pretty much every weekend but this thread mostly falling quiet on the weekdays, when AA and UA tended to have their own meltdowns. I'm also incredibly impressed with the return to form with Alaska, who was arguably one of the least reliable carriers in May but only cancelled 0.7% of their June flights. Hopefully Delta can pull off something similar with their July schedule cuts, and while I would bet against that happening, I would have also bet against Alaska having such a dramatic recovery in June.

It's funny to think that I have a some friends visiting me in a couple weeks who are flying Alaska and I thought about trying to convince them to fly Delta instead as they were doing better operationally whenever they bought their tickets but the complete opposite is true now.

Edit: Just noticed that data for the legacies don't include regionals, which I included below. I'm not very knowledgeable on regionals, but it seems like AA is still by far the least reliable carrier while UA starts to distinguish itself as slightly better than Delta after accounting for regional jets.
June 1-28 only: Regional carriers
  • Endeavor: 1,360 canceled (7.0%), 3,394 delayed (17.4%)
  • Envoy: 128 canceled (0.6%), 3,496 delayed (17.0%)
  • Mesa: 194 canceled (1.9%), 2,087 delayed (20.6%)
  • Republic: 2,443 canceled (8.5%), 6,213 delayed (21.6%)
  • PSA: 691 canceled (3.7%), 4,114 delayed (22.2%)
  • SkyWest: 391 canceled (0.6%), 10,959 delayed (17.2%)
Mhyduchak likes this.

Last edited by jjl468; Jul 2, 2022 at 2:15 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by jjl468
Glad to see some actual data for this, there was a lot of back-and-forth about whether or not Delta was an outlier in its meltdowns this month, having consistently higher cancellation rates pretty much every weekend but this thread mostly falling quiet on the weekdays, when AA and UA tended to have their own meltdowns. I'm also incredibly impressed with the return to form with Alaska, who was arguably one of the least reliable carriers in May but only cancelled 0.7% of their June flights. Hopefully Delta can pull off something similar with their July schedule cuts, and while I would bet against that happening, I would have also bet against Alaska having such a dramatic recovery in June.

It's funny to think that I have a some friends visiting me in a couple weeks who are flying Alaska and I thought about trying to convince them to fly Delta instead as they were doing better operationally whenever they bought their tickets but the complete opposite is true now.

Edit: Just noticed that data for the legacies don't include regionals, which I included below. I'm not very knowledgeable on regionals, but it seems like AA is still by far the least reliable carrier while UA starts to distinguish itself as slightly better than Delta after accounting for regional jets.
Honestly, despite being a long-term DM 3MM flyer, I actually don't really know which carriers are doing DL connection flights! Guess I am still stuck in the days of Comair, Atlantic Southeast, and Skywest.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:53 am

Fantastic flight landed 10 minutes early on time this morning. Phenomenal service up front.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
Today is going to be an interesting day. FAA is already saying "NORTH EAST DELAYS WILL BE PREVALENT TODAY" in the nationwide operations plan. Delta has appeared to proactively(?) cancel a bunch of arrivals into N90 during the timeframe with the worst weather, so we'll see how this works out. Plenty of available seats per EF on the alternate flights earlier and later in the day, so we'll see what DL is able to do to keep people moving. As of 12z, Delta 'only' has 40 mainline cancels (and looks like a few more connection cancels) again mainly consisting of the small schedule reduction to avoid NE weather. AA, whose PHL, LGA, EWR operation look to suffer greatly, leads the legacies with 76 cancels.

1353z update: Mainline cancels up to 50, trying to get more concrete stats on connection cancels (YX looks to be in the lead overall, but need to filter out AA/UA)
billhelm likes this.

Last edited by av8rsamr; Jul 2, 2022 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
On the plus side, there is this...huh, c'mon....when they recover, they recover nicely...it is either total catastrophe, or awesome recovery.

Delta offers passengers $10,000 each to get off oversold flight (freep.com)
The crew was looking for eight volunteers to give up their seats on the "apparently oversold" flight, offering them $10,000 each.

“If you have Apple Pay, you’ll even have the money right now,” the flight attendant said, Aten wrote.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by nk15
On the plus side, there is this...huh, c'mon....when they recover, they recover nicely...it is either total catastrophe, or awesome recovery.

Delta offers passengers $10,000 each to get off oversold flight (freep.com)
This is the subject of its own thread where it is being discussed extensively.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.