Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jul 1, 22, 7:03 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I think they canceled that one a day ahead too.
So, BOS-SFO was next to my gate this morning and I think it went out on time!
At least in the morning hours it looks like BOS is doing well
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:04 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I will be at JFK later, god I am dreading this. Flight to VCE still says on time and the watch my plane feature says the plane is inbound from Rome. The last few days the flight had gone off without a hitch, hope there is a crew
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:22 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Fyi for those who fly out of BOS - the new security checkpoint is open for precheck and clear+pre to the far left now, past skypriority check in. STill under construction but its operational.. dumps you in the terminal where the old exit used to be by gate A11.
Re Boston precheck, so now it is located way down past the West jet checkin counter? And the center precheck is gone?
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:43 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Thankfully it looks like, so far, no airline is having a meltdown today
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RobertS975 View Post
Re Boston precheck, so now it is located way down past the West jet checkin counter? And the center precheck is gone?
That is correct. Actually not sure where the Westjet counter went since the precheck area is located over there, at least for now. Can't tell what the final setup will be since there is still construction. The way the Pre queue is it could get in the way of the DL area if it spills out of the rope lines.
Old Jul 1, 22, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dw View Post
Thankfully it looks like, so far, no airline is having a meltdown today
Not meltdown level, but DL is leading the pack with 49, ahead of AA's 43 so far this morning. Storms expected to pop up later so that could mess things up more.
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVP G, DL PL
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Those really are irrelevant considerations. There are 9+ seats available on the 3 remaining JFK-SFO flights today, and on 4 of today's JFK-LAX flights. both routes have tons of options to rebook passengers on not only nonstop, but one stop options. If you have to cancel a flight, better to do it on one where you can accommodate passengers on other flights. Probably similar to the calculus that led AA to cancel one JFK-SFO and 2 JFK-LAX flights yesterday. (Of course, the FT network planners know better)
but its still a pain if someone booked 7am departure (DL487), arriving at JFK 5am, cleared the security, then realized the flight is canceled and got rebooked a 3:55pm departure where there are 9+ seats available
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lonelygod View Post
but its still a pain if someone booked 7am departure (DL487), arriving at JFK 5am, cleared the security, then realized the flight is canceled and got rebooked a 3:55pm departure where there are 9+ seats available
No one was suggesting it wasn't a pain. It will be a pain to anyone if their flight is canceled. The response was to the suggestion that it is somehow "stunning" that these specific flights were canceled because they are "high profile."
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Through 11 AM ET this morning, 25% of flights out of ATL are already delayed. Not great for the morning and likely to get worse as delays cascade. On the bright side - while there is still a chance of thunderstorms it seems like the forecast is shifting more for them to be highly isolated. Delta may dodge a bullet.

edit: looks like I was premature, a cell is forecasted to hit ATL between 1:30 and 3 PM. Winds are impacting JFK and LGA flow as well. The East Coast could deteriorate rapidly for Delta here shortly.
edit at 1:38 ET: Flights coming into Atlanta from the Northeast are starting to get put in holding patterns. No cell over the airport yet though so flow from the East and South are not yet impacted.
edit 1:53 ET: just typical summer at ATL and not catastrophic (at least if the Delta network was functioning like normal) but flow control is definitely in place - planes are getting new flight plans to delay arrival.. looks like they've moved to single runway for departures and only allowing southbound departures. Cell may miss the airport but if it doesn't - buckle up!

Last edited by ethernal; Jul 1, 22 at 11:54 am
Old Jul 1, 22, 11:15 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SW A List, SW Companion Pass, Marriott Gold
Update: I am now going on 19 hours delayed from BNA-MSP.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 2 MM
Is Delta at least giving you a hotel room?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.8 MM; Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post
LOL
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 12:56 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly View Post
i cant even imagine the emotional trauma and mental torment you are experiencing, due to Delta Air Lines. I wish you luck in finally getting to the Twin Cities, at least before the July 4th holiday weekend is in full swing!
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:07 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SW A List, SW Companion Pass, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly View Post
Originally Posted by jaimemayo View Post
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness View Post
i cant even imagine the emotional trauma and mental torment you are experiencing, due to Delta Air Lines. I wish you luck in finally getting to the Twin Cities, at least before the July 4th holiday weekend is in full swing!
Approaching 21 hour delay. Allegedly it will finally go out at 3pm.

Part had to be flown in from ATL this morning.

Yes hotel vouchers were given out last night. We just rented a car and drove home for the night and came back today.

Also got 10k miles each from the Sky Club agent.

Just got more meal vouchers too. Which now days are just credit card numbers. We just used them to re-load our Starbucks card, lol.
dls25 and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal View Post
Through 11 AM ET this morning, 25% of flights out of ATL are already delayed. Not great for the morning and likely to get worse as delays cascade.
Not really surprising considering theres a GDP for basically all traffic transiting ZJX due to staffing (again). Average delay 78 minutesso all things being equal that ATL-MIA turn will be closed to three hours late when it gets back

Search this Thread