Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jun 30, 22, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness View Post
This morning’s “apology” email from Bastian rings hollow… he doesn’t take ownership of all these disruptions, regurgitates plenty that we’ve heard before from his previous email(s) and the DL spin machine and doesn’t pinpoint any discernible action what DL is doing to significantly improve summer ops, in fact, foresees more IRROPs occurring over the summer.

I am so frustrated at the current state of DL leadership and operations.
Apology email? My wife and I have been SkyMiles members for decades. Not elites but regular customers. DL cancelled our SEA-ATL flight this past Sunday and stranded us overnight at personal expense of $600. We were denied hotel/food vouchers and told to fend for ourselves. Booked the next day on a three-leg SEA-BOI-SLC-ATL flight that lasted about 14 hours. Lost our two checked bags (we found them later at the lost baggage office and manually rechecked them ourselves for the replacement flights).

Neither of us received an apology email...
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:10 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Just noticed - DL9979 ATL-BOS appears to be a ferry for a A330. Anyone know what this is being used for/going to? Assume one of the BOS departures intl departures this evening.
FR24 has the tail (N805NW) operating tonight's 256 BOS-AMS (which is also showing 2 hours delayed — 9979 due to arrive 5:11pm and 256 was scheduled for a 4:50pm departure but now estimated 7:12pm)
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Originally Posted by KenH_Atlanta View Post
Apology email? My wife and I have been SkyMiles members for decades. Not elites but regular customers. DL cancelled our SEA-ATL flight this past Sunday and stranded us overnight at personal expense of $600. We were denied hotel/food vouchers and told to fend for ourselves. Booked the next day on a three-leg SEA-BOI-SLC-ATL flight that lasted about 14 hours. Lost our two checked bags (we found them later at the lost baggage office and manually rechecked them ourselves for the replacement flights).

Neither of us received an apology email...
Go to Delta.com/talktous, click on Feedback & Complaints and explain what happened. Attach your receipts. You will likely get reimbursed. This in some ways is better than a voucher as you got to choose your hotel.

Just because agents don't provide compensation doesn't mean Delta won't in the end. A polite, concise letter after the fact can yield a positive outcome.
obscure2k, cmd320, JBJ2435 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott, AA, DL
Thanks, I have already done that per instructions from an online chat agent. Sadly, I understand that it will takes weeks or months and may or may not compensate us for the complete expenses for hotel/dinner.
Old Jun 30, 22, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by klm617 View Post
The problem is Delta has created a network where it's very difficult to make connections at other hubs because they have pared down their operations so much and made Atlanta the only efficient hub to get in and out of in a timely manner.
Which is why I said the part of "If it takes slightly longer or is out of the way"
Old Jun 30, 22, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
On a flight that is now 40 minutes delayed after on-time boarding due to a "ticketing issue" for some high profile customer. First class is full so not sure where this high profile customer is sitting.

Ridiculius
Old Jun 30, 22, 4:14 pm

I'll be the contrarian for once. Having just dealt with 36 hours of the clownshow of incompetence and buffoonery that is Air France right now, Delta seems like a finely-tuned, well-oiled machine in comparison.

At least most Delta employees actually do care and have an interest in making things right. Many of them going way above board. You'll find NONE of that at AF (and many other carriers).
kavok, JBJ2435 and gobears293 like this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Letter from Ed

https://news.delta.com/message-skymi...-committed-you
Old Jun 30, 22, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
…or Tuesday still stuck at JFK
An appropriate plan would be

1. Belmont
2. Aqueduct
3. Profit
4. Fly private out of Teterboro
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yaddablahblah View Post
An appropriate plan would be

1. Belmont
2. Aqueduct
3. Profit
4. Fly private out of Teterboro

if you’re stuck long enough, you could take a train up to Saratoga for the start of racing up there🙄
wrp96, beachmouse, Miesque and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 30, 22, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL, UA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Sitting here at the JFK Sky Club watching my outbound plane sit at a remote stand while our gate is occupied by another plane that arrived on time two hours ago and still hasn’t been towed to a remote stand. Just a perfect encapsulation of the state of things right now — even when everything else goes right, there’s always *something* to screw things up. Gotta feel for the flight crew, who’s been standing in the vestibule of our gate for something close to an hour waiting for our plane.

The plane occupying our gate just got towed away as I type this — 20 minutes before our scheduled departure.

Godspeed to everyone flying this weekend.
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Cancellations for Friday starting to mount now... DL takes the lead with 20 already, ahead of American who 'only' has 17.

Remember - your tax dollars hard at work!
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Cancellations for Friday starting to mount now... DL takes the lead with 20 already, ahead of American who 'only' has 17.

Remember - your tax dollars hard at work!
The pattern has been AA sucks midweek while DL on sucks on weekends, especially holiday weekends. ŔA managing to get it together around holidays/weekends is a large part of why their operational failures have not gotten the media attention that DL has.
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:41 pm
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dls25 View Post
The pattern has been AA sucks midweek while DL on sucks on weekends, especially holiday weekends. ŔA managing to get it together around holidays/weekends is a large part of why their operational failures have not gotten the media attention that DL has.
I've noticed this as well which is perplexing. Since loads seem to be higher on weekends now vs during the week (as opposed to pre-pandemic times), I suppose I could see AA putting all efforts into running a smoother operation on the weekend and sacrificing the rest of the week... but then the question becomes... what are the factors causing DL to be performing the complete opposite? Just insufficient staffing for the schedule they have published, and not enough employees willing to pick up open trips on their days off?
Old Jun 30, 22, 6:58 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
We did find your missing pilots though, here they are...

cmd320 likes this.

Search this Thread