Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jun 29, 22, 6:11 am

Given delta cut the flight schedule starting on 7/1 do we think this will get any better after the holiday weekend?
Old Jun 29, 22, 6:23 am

Does Delta - as reported - still have flights scheduled with no crew? If so very bad.
Old Jun 29, 22, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trentryan View Post
Given delta cut the flight schedule starting on 7/1 do we think this will get any better after the holiday weekend?
No

Whats really amazing to me also is just how DL has basically burned through all of their accumulated goodwill that took years of quality operations to build up. It first started with the call center epic hold times fiasco that still continues and has expanded to their inability to fly their schedule which they've been selling for high prices and packed to the gills.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:10 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Walking through the PVD airport this morning after a 13 hour mechanical delay, I was struck by how the concessionaires are struggling with staff to open in the morning.

As much as this totally stinks, the labor issue is everywhere. Airlines, restaurants, hotels, police (~20% of Atlanta police openings remain infilled), healthcare, etc. I wonder how short the labor force really is.
Old Jun 29, 22, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291 View Post
Oh I forgot to add.

for those traveling via ATL over the next week or so, if you can change to a routing over another hub I would. Even if it is out of the way a little bit. Weather was terrible yesterday, storms are moving in again tonight and it looks like we are due for bad weather over the next few days at least.
So I'd even consider going a little out of your way or having a slightly longer layover vs getting stuck. YMMV.
MSP is far away from ATL, but should be better yeah?
Old Jun 29, 22, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro; AS MVP Gold, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
Sad, but true. But also of all other airlines.

The constant refrain here seems to be that every airline sucks now, but AA has been berry, berry good to me in on-time performance this year. I know, anecdotal evidence, but:

2022 segments:
WN 0/1 on time, about 30 mins. late into AUS
AS 13/16 on time, 2 cancels in Jan., 1 3 hr. mx delay
AA 28/29 on time, worst was a 1 hr. gate delay at DCA
Old Jun 29, 22, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP, AA, UA, B6, HA, WN, Delta SkyClub, Alaska Lounge, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
The constant refrain here seems to be that every airline sucks now, but AA and even AS have been berry, berry good to me in on-time performance this year. I know, anecdotal evidence, but:

2022 segments:
WN 0/1 on time, about 30 mins. late into AUS
AS 14/16 on time, 1 cancel in Jan., 1 3 hr. mx delay
AA 28/29 on time, worst was a 1 hr. gate delay at DCA
Alaskaís been holding up well but American hasnít statistically, they have the lowest on time performance and lowest completion factor of the US3. They canceled about 300 flights yesterday and have canceled over 200 today already. You should go buy a lottery ticket if youíve been that on time lately
ijgordon and Adam1222 like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets View Post
Alaskaís been holding up well but American hasnít statistically, they have the lowest on time performance and lowest completion factor of the US3. They canceled about 300 flights yesterday and have canceled over 200 today already. You should go buy a lottery ticket if youíve been that on time lately
I have had success moving travel away from DL to WN. I wonít risk flying on UA or AA.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA is the clear winner today with 237 canceled so far and 288 delays. They even have 30 canceled for tomorrow already.

DL is 'only' at 43 cancels and 193 delays today so far.
DiverDave and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
AA is the clear winner today with 237 canceled so far and 288 delays. They even have 30 canceled for tomorrow already.

DL is 'only' at 43 cancels and 193 delays today so far.
Let's not gloat before midnight. There's still lots of time today for DL to post further delays and cancellations.

BTW, does anyone know how DeltaConnection is doing compared to AA (and UA) RJs?
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Republic is up to 62 cancel but don't know what portion is DLConnction vs others.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by trentryan View Post
No. While I am sure DL made those cuts, I am kind of wondering if some of those cuts were similar in how the government defines cuts. They didn't add flights to the schedule so therefore its a "cut." Some of the flights that have struggled with reliability that I have taken recently and will be taking frequently in the next two months have added sections rather than removed a section and I am not seeing the demand to justify those extra sections. My most recent flight, that canceled the flight before mine so I was expecting VDB - not even close to filling my flight.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Let's not gloat before midnight. There's still lots of time today for DL to post further delays and cancellations.

BTW, does anyone know how DeltaConnection is doing compared to AA (and UA) RJs?
In my experience, DL connection has seemed to be very reliable. I have a had a few mx issues with them, but not a number outside the ordinary, and no delays related to crew availability. Unfortunately, my travel patterns are shifting so I will be stuck on mainline for awhile.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL FO, CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)
Originally Posted by emma dog View Post
Walking through the PVD airport this morning after a 13 hour mechanical delay, I was struck by how the concessionaires are struggling with staff to open in the morning.
I was at MSP in the late afternoon last week and it was noticeable how many F&B outlets were dark and unstaffed. The central MSP mall area seemed okay but down on C was a different story. It seems like a bad sign when the Vino Volo isn't rammed full of people looking to down three glasses of wine before their next flight.
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At MSP, Vino Volo was open (and had customers although it wasn't packed) a couple months ago, but the restaurant across from where Surdyk's was (which sold wine in bottles, etc. to go) hasn't re-opened yet and looks like they're not planning to do so.
Old Jun 29, 22, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Republic is up to 62 cancel but don't know what portion is DLConnction vs others.
If you look at the specific Republic cancels on Flightaware, they are pretty much exclusively between EWR and a bunch of various cities which pretty clearly indicates it's almost all UA flying. There are some between EWR and DL hubs, but they look to be UA flights, not DL.

Search this Thread