Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Watching ATL arrivals on FR24. Lots of MAPs, and looks like diversions are starting. Pancakes over the NW and NE gates. DL not going to get a break today.

MUC inbound broke off an 8R approach and looks like he's going to BNA.
then DUB just missed on 8R then FRA missed. MEX also missed
Last three might be joining the pattern again.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL looks to be cancelling a good chunk of Endeavor flights to/from of JFK/LGA to avoid additional mainline cancellations.
How does doing this keep from mainline flights being canceled.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by klm617
How does doing this keep from mainline flights being canceled.
Great question. As someone who used to make these calls, I'll try to explain.

Lets say you have 10 flights going to LGA from ATL, exactly one hour apart and every other one is a DLC flight. If a published GDP (Ground Delay Program) comes out every flight within the GDP scope gets assigned an EDCT (Estimated Departure Clearance Time) more commonly referred to as a "wheels-up" time. Lets say each of the 10 flights is delayed an average of 90 minutes. What carriers are allowed to do is cancel rounds (a landing and takeoff) and substitute another flight into its EDCT. Let's say the first round in my 10 hypothetic rounds happens to be a DLC regional flight. If DL (as the marketed carrier) calls up Endeavor (or whomever) and requests they cancel that round. they can take their time slot and move all of the other 9 flights into earlier EDCTs. So perhaps instead of having 10 flights delated 90 minutes each, you have one cancellation, and then 9 flights that operate ~30 minutes late. In reality, it's a lot more complicated, because you have probably a few hundred flights in the program from many different destinations. Some have protection, some don't. Some cause significant downline disruption (crews out of place, or missing MX redlines), etc. etc. There are some great software products that make these decisions easier.

The carrier I worked for had a "decision making pod" made up of dispatch mgr, maintenance, crew skd, ATC coordinator, pax svc corrdinator, etc (I worked both of the last two jobs over my career). We would work together to figure out when and which rounds to cancel on a bad weather day. We also made calls to regionals to cut their rounds. This might sound like a terrible deal for them, but it really isn't. They would get paid like 90% of the negotiated price to NOT fly the flight.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just looked at the CNN article "700 flights canceled on Sunday" and the numbers don't make sense. It says that 730 flights were cancelled across the USA, with 224 DL, 71 UA, and 66 AA. That leaves almost half (369) flights canceled by other carriers, which seems surprising to me in that other than WN, thee airlines tend to be smaller.

BTW, does DCA "cranes" mean the birds or construction equipment?

What about regionals??
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by cubeman
I'm just booking numerous tickets and the day of ill just refund the ones I don't use at this point. I know I'm not the only person doing this now which in the end is causing higher fare pricing and less seats till last minute. It's why you also see Seats available 6 until last minute but then 15 people make the standby lol.
Flight to LGA last week oversold by 10. I volunteer my seat. Number one on the volunteer list. Gate agent protects me in F on the next flight. Flight goes out with 6 empty seats. That is a delta of 16. So many double bookings with no risk/change fees now. In theory a sold out flight could now go out empty with so many double and triple bookings. And DL doesn’t collect the $200.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Flight to LGA last week oversold by 10. I volunteer my seat. Number one on the volunteer list. Gate agent protects me in F on the next flight. Flight goes out with 6 empty seats. That is a delta of 16. So many double bookings with no risk/change fees now. In theory a sold out flight could now go out empty with so many double and triple bookings. And DL doesn’t collect the $200.
Every flight I've been on lately has been full or close to full. I don't think many normal travelers make duplicate bookings. Something like 60% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Every flight I've been on lately has been full or close to full. I don't think many normal travelers make duplicate bookings. Something like 60% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

With so many canceled and significantly delayed flights no penalty to book multiple flights on different airlines using free 24-hour rule or miles.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
With so many canceled and significantly delayed flights no penalty to book multiple flights on different airlines using free 24-hour rule or miles.
Not disputing that, just don't think it's that common among normal people (FlyerTalkers excluded.)
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Our flight tonight was canceled almost 24 hours in advance. All other evening LGA-PIT canceled soon after. Flying tomorrow morning, hope it goes!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
News this afternoon/evening is reporting on airline delays and cancellations at BOS... with Delta leading the pack of the majors, currently at 11 cxl. 55 delayed (34% of flights).
Jetblue has 106 delays (41%) but only 4 cxl.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:47 pm

Starting to think this is a warm-up to the main event, which begins 6/30, and runs through 7/6 or so.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:55 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by rylan
News this afternoon/evening is reporting on airline delays and cancellations at BOS... with Delta leading the pack of the majors, currently at 11 cxl. 55 delayed (34% of flights).
Jetblue has 106 delays (41%) but only 4 cxl.
JetBlue had been a real dumpster fire with cancellations this spring (some days had 25% cancelled), but their cancellations have improved markedly after they trimmed their schedules for the summer. (As far as a high number of delays… that’s just how the airline has always been run.)
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
It’s just unthinkable…. 1 in 4 Delta flights today were delayed significantly….
when will action be taken on Virginia Ave?!
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
It's OK, 62% of KLM flights were delayed today. Plus 6% cancelled.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
1 in 5 UA flights is also delayed today. When will action be taken at 77 W. Wacker….
Mhyduchak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.