Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jun 15, 22, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Hertz Presidential
Originally Posted by kavok View Post
The other part is when IROPS happen, the interior hubs (mostly DTW & MSP) have had their schedules scrapped way too thin, so there is often no ability to reroute. When a MKE-LGA nonstop is cancelled, there arenít enough frequencies and seats between say MKE-DTW to make a one stop re-routing possible for days, which didnít used to be the case.

Not only has the reliability and customer service taken a hit, but the DL flight schedules have actually gotten worse in 2022 vs 2021. Even though less people wanted to fly last year, DL actually had better schedules in both DTW & MSP in 2021 vs 2022, which previously helped a lot in the event of IROPS .
Yep this is exactly the problem. I flew to the mid-west quite a bit last year and with a couple of hiccups it meant a short layover in DTW or MSP before back to NY. There was always something within the same day or very next morning. Now if you don't bum rush the desk because the app says "sorry cant do anything" you'll hear that you are now 3 days out for a flight because there's only what? 3 or 4 outbound's out of MKE now. I'm not blaming Delta for weather, but the fact is they need to consider that if one flight gets canceled it literally blows up the rest of the week is a problem since now 80 people need to be divided up among 4 to 8 flights that already are almost full across the next few days. One option they did provide me for an early morning next day was 2 layovers and 9 hours of flight time. Crazy.

I assume when vouchers do become more expensive we'll see the return of more alternative routes.
MSPeconomist and altabello like this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Pyrite
Would it help if DL and others, limited number of flights (e.g. 3 each day from XXX to XXX instead of 5 per day) at 330 days through 150 (my random choice of time) days out, then add in flights as demand increases? It seems I have a thousand choices 10 months out, then crap as a result of changes/cancellations close in.

Just curious, no established belief.
Old Jun 15, 22, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by drminn View Post
Indeed, the data does not suggest that Delta was doing worse than anyone else, yesterday.
Yes, that was the relevant day for this thread, which was an anecdote about a single Passengers experience with delays on a single day.
Old Jun 15, 22, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Yes, that was the relevant day for this thread, which was an anecdote about a single Passengers experience with delays on a single day.
When multiple passengers report issues across a number of days / weeks / months, and these same passengers had few issues a couple of years ago, itís not insignificant
dw and Minnyappleus like this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
Boxes v hot depends on what station currently. There are many many threads about food complaints already - both complaints about the lack of hot meals and then people complaining that they don't like the hot meals. Either way, not usually considered an "operational" problem .
Delta In-Flight Meal/Food Service: The Definitive Thread ó 2022 Edition
I agree it's not operational, but as a person commented above, it is a marketing problem. Delta sold themselves as a step above the other US carriers for years. They still charge for it, but do not deliver the product anymore. And have not for some time. Basic Economy to Comfort Plus, and even Premium Comfort on a recent international flight, are all the same. THAT, is a marketing failure.
Minnyappleus likes this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.4MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by dcmidnight View Post
One thing I've noticed is that Delta is really slow to return to normal on board service in First. IAD to SEA r/t in first this week - still serving boxed meals?

There are things out of their control which I cant blame the airline for - as noted, its happening everywhere. But yes, its surprising that on coast to coast flights in First they are still serving very small boxed meals.
wait until mid July ó DL1681 will be a 75S
Old Jun 15, 22, 6:54 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by cubeman View Post
Had this Sunday in Wisconsin

MKE-LGA

Was delayed due to operational issues then that put us in the weather window of the storms but they boarded us anyway and had us sit on the run way for 2 hours to the dot. Said we could unboard or wait 30 minutes and we'll be taxing back out to take off. 15 minutes into that they canceled it. Even as a Diamond Medallion the best option I was given for flight was Wens night (3 days later) because everyone else ahead of me was able to choose which is nuts considering the status for upgrade list was 5 people on that flight so how many medallions or other plat/diamonds are even there? Couldn't even use the app because it said "you must call to change"

Luckily watching flights we caught a monday night one that my non-status GF could switch too via app but I had to call. The time I got someone on the 0 minute wait diamond line the flight was sold out except one FC/J Fare. The rep said give me a second let me see if I can just give you that and he did. I was a paid W Fare originally.

They did issue me a hotel voucher and meal voucher...that didn't work and they couldn't manually issue anything either. So now I have to hope they'll honor my reimbursement request.
how could they issue you a voucher and NOT issue a voucher at the same time? I wouldnít have left the issue unresolved until the vouchers printed
Old Jun 15, 22, 7:06 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus lifetime
Grass is not greener on the other side

Yes, Delta's operational reliability is not what it used to be in 2019. But I don't know that we have the data to conclude that it has deteriorated more significantly (relative to their respective 2019 metrics) than other airlines.

For what it's worth, WalletHub and the Wall Street Journal both ranked Delta #1 in operational reliability after independently analyzing Dept. of Transportation data from the past year.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-airlines/20916

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bes...21-11643374802
Old Jun 15, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota View Post
Iím beginning to lose my MF mind with how atrocious and incapable their CSRs are, across all platforms.
They really are bad, I had a supervisor on Twitter tell me they farmed out a lot of it overseas and they are awful
Old Jun 15, 22, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
When multiple passengers report issues across a number of days / weeks / months, and these same passengers had few issues a couple of years ago, itís not insignificant
No, it's still anecdotes and selective memory.
ijgordon and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Jun 15, 22, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I think it's reasonable to say that DL has probably deteriorated the most vs. the other majors compared to pre-pandemic. That's why it hurts here. Before, they were so far ahead, and now, it just depends on the day and week.
They had farther to fall.

But experience is relative. Perception is reality. All that jazz.
Old Jun 15, 22, 8:01 pm

Probably doesn't need to be said.....

All these examples of declines in operations and services can be linked to the US CEO's desire to maximize EBITDA full stop. It's only going to get worse.
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
I think I've had more non-weather related delays this Spring on DL than I've had in maybe the past several years.

The biggest frustration in 2022 for me has been lack of route frequency so if there's a significant delay a reroute is next to impossible

There's definitely been a deterioration in one of DL's biggest historical strengths (reliability) IME
Old Jun 16, 22, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post

Well that depends... is on flyertalk or the real world.

After all if anything happens to anyone on here it's a MAJOR issue but in the real world.

That said every airline and airport seems to be struggling this year. If you want stress free, problem free travel... probably should wait a year
Old Jun 16, 22, 6:42 am

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP, AA, UA, B6, HA, WN, Delta SkyClub, Alaska Lounge, Global Entry, CLEAR
I’ve had more IRROPS this year than I have in the past 5+ combined but most of them were out of Delta’s control and I just got really unlucky with weather. The two I’ve had that were in their control was a maintenance delay requiring changing planes but they handled that situation well in my opinion and kept everyone well informed the whole time which made a huge difference in my eyes. The other one was due to pilots coming in on a delayed flight causing a 3.5hr delay and making me rebook on AA, that one I was not too pleased with.

I’ve had a bunch of IRROPS this week too. My JAX-JFK Sunday night was delayed an hour and some change due to weather. LGA-JAX Tuesday morning, we pushed on time then sat in line for takeoff for 55 minutes and had to get a new flight plan to avoid weather which ultimately put us into JAX 20 minutes late. Now I was supposed to fly JAX-LGA-YYZ today and I woke up to see JAX-LGA is delayed an hour and a half causing a misconnect due to thunderstorms in NYC. As I’m looking at alternates none of them are good then I see LGA-YYZ just got canceled. Called Delta and they managed to get me on WestJet from LGA-YYZ tonight so fingers crossed…

The grass is definitely not greener on the other side and especially so for me when most of my issues have been out of Delta’s control and I’ve just had really bad timing unfortunately.

Search this Thread