Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jun 27, 22, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kavok View Post
DL is basically operating the minimum number of LGA flights necessary to not lose coveted LGA slots. That is the reason they wonít cut LGA further, and return the flights to DTW and MSP.

As put more succinctly above, DL management has prioritized retaining LGA slots over providing better overall network reliability.
You can see big ramp-up in LGA departures last November when slot waivers expired and departures are way up from the same time last year. Meanwhile, Flightaware is showing DTW, MSP, and ATL are actually running slightly below daily departures compared to same time last year.

Old Jun 27, 22, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
You can see big ramp-up in LGA departures last November when slot waivers expired and departures are way up from the same time last year. Meanwhile, Flightaware is showing DTW, MSP, and ATL are actually running slightly below daily departures compared to same time last year.

Can we compare this to LGA passenger volume? I understand that some of it is slot squatting, but as an NYC resident it is obvious actual NYC travel demand has also increased meaningfully since November, so actual departures should have increased
Old Jun 27, 22, 8:31 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Weekend’s over, and DL is already up to 200 cancellations on a Monday,..
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness View Post
Weekendís over, and DL is already up to 200 cancellations on a Monday,..
We now have 3 long weekends out of 6-7 weeks between Memorial Day, Juneteenth/Father's Day and July 4. This should have been a relatively quieter travel weekend sandwiched in between 2 long weekends and we had great weather. Next weekend should be awful. Grab the popcorn and stay away from the airports. Even if you manage to get out on July 1/2 you still need to get home July 4/5.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by kavok View Post
Multiple factors are at play. WX is an obvious one. But there are other factors too. Issues staffing gates, pilot shortages, etc. all add to the problems.

But why so bad now? Because look where the recent 100 flight cuts went? Mostly ATL/DTW/MSP. DL can’t cut LGA and keep its slots. DL can’t cut SEA and keep all its gates. DL can’t cut BOS and LAX much and maintain its growth momentum. So when summer goes south and the network is trimmed more, the interior hubs get cut… which if gates/slots/momentum weren’t an issue, the interior hubs would be the last place DL would want to cut from the schedule.
The ATL/MSP/DTW hubs are seeing the vast majority of the cancellations...

Regarding weather: other airlines also are affected by the weather, and they're cancelling far less flights. (Note: The WX was not a factor this past weekend, today it will be).
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta
LOL flying JFK/ATL July 2 and July 4. Bracing for pain.
Adelphos and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Just overheard a gate agent tell a guy who canít get home until tomorrow to try flying again in September.
dw, DiverDave, krazykanuck and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
Gonna be a mess today I bet... storms coming in northeast region BOS/JFK/LGA area this afternoon.

DL at LGA is a mess on a clear good weather day. Once the LGA/JFK area gets congested the spillover starts impacting BOS because of ATC issues through the corridor. And what doesn't help BOS is that a lot of the staff commute from other locations, so if DL cancels flights up from ATL for example, then we're missing more crew for other flights. One of the ATL-BOS-ATL flights has been canceled just about every day for a while.
Wouldn't ATL-BOS-ATL tend to get crew from ATL and have them turnaround at BOS? Of course, ATL could be the middle of a trip for them, but this seems a bit unlikely with ATL being DL's motherhub.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AC 50K, Hyatt Ist-iest, Starriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
Next weekend should be awful. Grab the popcorn and stay away from the airports. Even if you manage to get out on July 1/2 you still need to get home July 4/5.
lol I'm bracing for the pain. I have doubly booked flights out of LGA on Saturday and Monday, depending on how my long weekend plans transpire. After this, I'm not planning on travelling domestically until after Labor Day. Unfortunately I need to be in NYC for work for the back half of the week. I also still have a Southwest flight booked out of PHL on Monday. Just...in...case...
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:56 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
We now have 3 long weekends out of 6-7 weeks between Memorial Day, Juneteenth/Father's Day and July 4. This should have been a relatively quieter travel weekend sandwiched in between 2 long weekends and we had great weather. Next weekend should be awful. Grab the popcorn and stay away from the airports. Even if you manage to get out on July 1/2 you still need to get home July 4/5.
I have 2 R/T DL itins (4 total flights) between tomorrow and next Tuesday. Not looking forward to it. One trip for work the other for vacay. All non-stopsÖbut who knows. I see they cancelled an RDUDTW flight today, and thatís the same flight Iím on tomorrow. Weather could be a major factor today on the East coast. Right now thereís basically a line of TS from ATL to BOS that will intensify as it gets hotter. Good times.
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
The ATL/MSP/DTW hubs are seeing the vast majority of the cancellations...

Regarding weather: other airlines also are affected by the weather, and they're cancelling far less flights. (Note: The WX was not a factor this past weekend, today it will be).
Looks to me it's largely ATL by a wide margin (at least for today). Here's top 8 airport DL mainline cancels by origin so far today from Flightaware.

ATL 49
LGA 12
JFK 8
DTW 7
SEA 7
MSP 5
BOS 5
MIA 5

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 27, 22 at 10:10 am
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
I have 2 R/T DL itins (4 total flights) between tomorrow and next Tuesday. Not looking forward to it. One trip for work the other for vacay. All non-stopsÖbut who knows. I see they cancelled an RDUDTW flight today, and thatís the same flight Iím on tomorrow. Weather could be a major factor today on the East coast. Right now thereís basically a line of TS from ATL to BOS that will intensify as it gets hotter. Good times.
Tomorrow looks to be shaping up as a rougher day for AA than DL.

Old Jun 27, 22, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Just abysmal end of day stats.

8x more cancellations than Frontier. (by percentage)
4x more cancellations than American.
4x more cancellations than United.
4x more cancellations than Allegiant.
3x more cancellations than Alaska.

Southwest, Spirit JetBlue, Hawaiian and Sun Country did not cancel a single flight between them today. Delta cancelled 227 and counting.
I am a long-time loyal Delta flyer, have a flight to Venice (Italy) Friday, I am hoping it goes, but after this I am a free agent. Bastian needs to go
unitedbusiness and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:34 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This sounds like DL has failed to cut enough LGA flights.
Imagine living in NYC
Old Jun 27, 22, 10:35 am

Here’s the latest op plan form the FAA. All times in Z (UTC). Staffing issues at JAX center (again) will affect FL flows. And pretty much every major airport on the East Coast either on a GDP now, or likely to have one later. Today is likely going to be a mess (beyond just DL).

PCT = Potomac TRACON (DC area airports)
N90 = NY Metro TRACON (NYC airports)

It’s all because of the cranes @ DCA 😂

STAFFING CONSTRAINTS:
ZJX - STAFFING TRIGGER SOUTH AREA UNTIL 1800Z
ZJX - STAFFING TRIGGER CENTRAL AREA UNTIL 2000Z
ZJX - STAFFING TRIGGER SOUTH/WEST/NORTH AREA 1800-0200Z
SCT - STAFFING TRIGGER COA AREA 2100-0300Z

TERMINAL CONSTRAINTS:
FLORIDA/PHL/ATL/CLT/PCT/I90 - THUNDERSTORMS
N90 - LOW CEILINGS/VISIBILITY/THUNDERSTORMS
SFO - LOW CEILINGS