Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
The only US airline which has canceled 5-10% of flights every Saturday, Sunday and Holiday for the past month is Delta.

Again, feel free to post your supporting data.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Delta Air Lines alone canceled at least 224 flights on Sunday. United Airlines canceled 71 flights and American Airlines canceled 66 flights.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/26/busin...day/index.html
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by demkr
Delta Air Lines alone canceled at least 224 flights on Sunday. United Airlines canceled 71 flights and American Airlines canceled 66 flights.

Brutal.

Seems to me Delta needs to get better at planning. And hiring.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dls25
LGA has the lowest load factor in the system and they are using connecting traffic from the east to fill up those planes. On most itineraries I look at, LGA connections are the cheapest but I still wouldn't book them because LGA is so unreliable.
This sounds like DL has failed to cut enough LGA flights.
kavok and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying MCI-SLC-LGB and back this weekend. I'm not fully confident that the flights will be on time but we shall see.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like DL has failed to cut enough LGA flights.
DL is basically operating the minimum number of LGA flights necessary to not lose coveted LGA slots. That is the reason they won’t cut LGA further, and return the flights to DTW and MSP.

As put more succinctly above, DL management has prioritized retaining LGA slots over providing better overall network reliability.
ohhleary likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
For the record I did fly YYZ-ATL-JAX with no issues last night (having a sub one hour connection from AF to DL at YYZ thanks to AF being delayed was the opposite of no issues, worst connecting experience I’ve had anywhere but another story for another day). ATL-JAX even closed the door 10 minutes early and landed at JAX 20 minutes early. Quite the contrary from my flights TO YYZ a week and a half ago.

Last edited by coke cans and winglets; Jun 27, 2022 at 7:30 am
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
They can’t even staff the Need Help Center in SLC.

Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
For the record I did fly YYZ-ATL-JAX with no issues last night (having a sub one hour connection from AF to DL thanks to AF being delayed was the opposite of no issues, worst connecting experience I’ve had anywhere but another story for another day). ATL-JAX even closed the door 10 minutes early and landed at JAX 20 minutes early. Quite the contrary from my flights TO YYZ a week and a half ago.
How can AF operate a Canada to USA (YYZ-ATL) flight?
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:07 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by demkr

And it’s continued today… 200 cancelled so far today and it’s only 9 am eastern. Hopefully they can get things reset before the holiday weekend.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How can AF operate a Canada to USA (YYZ-ATL) flight?
I flew AF from CDG-YYZ then connected to DL for YYZ-ATL.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by dw
And it’s continued today… 200 cancelled so far today and it’s only 9 am eastern. Hopefully they can get things reset before the holiday weekend.
I hope so too because I've got some travel coming up, but I honestly think Delta isn't even trying at this point. They've gone from arguably one of the most on-time airlines in the world to a complete embarassment now
unitedbusiness and HDQDD like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Again, feel free to post your supporting data.
I’m going to go ahead and say that we are now on the third day in a row with no major weather event across the U.S. and with DL >200 cancellations (materially worse than UA and AA as previously posted).

To save you the trouble: you will almost certainly reply back saying that this is a limited window of data that doesn’t show a trend and that you want more time series data.
HDQDD and truncated like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by meljfk
I’m going to go ahead and say that we are now on the third day in a row with no major weather event across the U.S. and with DL >200 cancellations (materially worse than UA and AA as previously posted).

To save you the trouble: you will almost certainly reply back saying that this is a limited window of data that doesn’t show a trend and that you want more time series data.
article I posted this morning too cites the stats for Sunday. DL faring much worse than AA/UA
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Gonna be a mess today I bet... storms coming in northeast region BOS/JFK/LGA area this afternoon.

DL at LGA is a mess on a clear good weather day. Once the LGA/JFK area gets congested the spillover starts impacting BOS because of ATC issues through the corridor. And what doesn't help BOS is that a lot of the staff commute from other locations, so if DL cancels flights up from ATL for example, then we're missing more crew for other flights. One of the ATL-BOS-ATL flights has been canceled just about every day for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.