Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jun 25, 22, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by klm617 View Post
I agree Ed needs to go before he completely runs Delta into the ground
There’s an element of “saving the airline”, but even more so it is about taking responsibility. Delta is clearly in an operational mess far beyond any of the other majors and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get better any time soon. Ed is running a business (and one that took $5B+ of free money from the public), and that business is screwing up royally and disrupting the plans of thousands of paying customers every day. Why isn’t there a plan? Why hasn’t he publicly apologized?

Every American has paid for Delta’s survival and in return we have sky high fares, unreliable operations, and massive ongoing disruption.
dw, cmd320 and klm617 like this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 7:30 pm

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
Flew through AMS on KLM yesterday from the US--flight arrived early, the immigration line took all of 15 minutes. My Schengen flight would have left about 20 minutes late (until a medical issue on board made it even later, though that wasn't KLM's or AMS's fault), but all things considered it did not seem especially indicative of the meltdowns or catastrophes others have predicted/reported.
There is a whole thread on this in the KLM forum, there are pockets of functionality, too, but it is a mixed and evolving situation. Transiting and arriving is generally easier, but departing/entering the airport from outside is harder, with 2-hour+ lines and people missing flights being common.
Old Jun 25, 22, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Just abysmal end of day stats.

8x more cancellations than Frontier. (by percentage)
4x more cancellations than American.
4x more cancellations than United.
4x more cancellations than Allegiant.
3x more cancellations than Alaska.

Southwest, Spirit JetBlue, Hawaiian and Sun Country did not cancel a single flight between them today. Delta cancelled 227 and counting.
unitedbusiness, cmd320 and nk15 like this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post

Southwest, Spirit JetBlue, Hawaiian and Sun Country did not cancel a single flight between them today. Delta cancelled 227 and counting.
Already 163 cancelled for tomorrow!! It's only 10 PM ET.

I guess it's time to break out the old "Don't Ever Leave The Airport" jokes again.

Everything old is new again.
Old Jun 25, 22, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Is there a pattern or regions in play for these stats?
Old Jun 25, 22, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Is there a pattern or regions in play for these stats?
Almost all B737 and A320 family flights getting axed.
wrp96, cmd320 and spongenotbob like this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 11:43 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by klm617 View Post
I agree Ed needs to go before he completely runs Delta into the ground
He should have been gone over a year and a half ago…a new CEO would have set substantive plans in motion to get the ship back in the right direction.
rylan likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:00 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Originally Posted by ryanm View Post
Flew through AMS on KLM yesterday from the US--flight arrived early, the immigration line took all of 15 minutes. My Schengen flight would have left about 20 minutes late (until a medical issue on board made it even later, though that wasn't KLM's or AMS's fault), but all things considered it did not seem especially indicative of the meltdowns or catastrophes others have predicted/reported.
One flight going well doesn't disprove AMS being a high risk for travel.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meljfk View Post
There’s an element of “saving the airline”, but even more so it is about taking responsibility. Delta is clearly in an operational mess far beyond any of the other majors and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get better any time soon. Ed is running a business (and one that took $5B+ of free money from the public), and that business is screwing up royally and disrupting the plans of thousands of paying customers every day. Why isn’t there a plan? Why hasn’t he publicly apologized?

Every American has paid for Delta’s survival and in return we have sky high fares, unreliable operations, and massive ongoing disruption.
I think he may have saved Delta in the short term,, but long term they will loose their customer base and take years to get it back.
Old Jun 26, 22, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer View Post
Fixed that for you.

Much to the ire of many on the DL forum, the grass is not greener elsewhere. Every airline is struggling with these types of situations. DL's flight completion % for June is currently 2nd among WN, AA, UA and DL. For much of May DL also sat in the 2nd spot, until Memorial day weekend in which they fell to 3rd, still beating out UA for the month. If people are dissatisfied with DL, fair, but don't expect things to be much better when you try flying someone else, and it's unlikely things are going to turn around in any meaningful way in the next few months. At best they are probably 80% of the size they were prepandemic, while travel demand is almost entirely back to prepandemic levels (although with a bigger proportion of leisure travel then before), It will be years before anyone gets back to their prepandemic level of service.
Things happen and most people on this board get that. The issue is, that people can't get a hold of anyone from delta to adjust when things happen. Delta's attitude is you are on your own, On a good day the DM line still takes 15 minutes, and if they need to contact another department like ticketing they are put on hold for an hour plus.
Old Jun 26, 22, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
I think the difference is that Delta had quite an arrogant attitude prior to 2020 and their fans pontificating that they would be prosperous forever. The mighty always fall. I would argue that WN has had the most consistent performance throughout their existence. And quite humble about it. They haven't tried to be anything other than solid transportation. Delta now resembles more of a marketing firm that happens to run an airline on the side.
I tend to agree and wonder when Amex starts getting too many complaints/ people leaving that they reconsider the partnership with Delta that they have.
readywhenyouare likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
I’m guessing Ed/Delta will have to publicly address all the issues sometime before their next earnings call, which is in mid/late July
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 8:26 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)

How's it looking for the year, and as a percentage?

That would be more relevant, wouldn't it?

I mean, Delta has a lot more flights than Frontier, Alaska, Allegiant, so that's a relatively loaded way to portray it. Data has to be normalized in some ways, no?

Hawaiian doesn't really cover the same region as Delta, for example.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
How's it looking for the year, and as a percentage?

That would be more relevant, wouldn't it?

I mean, Delta has a lot more flights than Frontier, Alaska, Allegiant, so that's a relatively loaded way to portray it. Data has to be normalized in some ways, no?

Hawaiian doesn't really cover the same region as Delta, for example.
The data is normalized. Percent cancelled. It matters little what US region you are in, every flight needs two pilots.

The point is many other US airlines have cut enough flights to match staffing. Delta hasn't.
nk15 likes this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jun 26, 22 at 9:13 am
Old Jun 26, 22, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Almost all B737 and A320 family flights getting axed.
This seems to be an ongoing pattern with the 737 and 320 taking more of the brunt, however I see cancellations spread on other equipment also including 757 and A220.

I have a vacation flight coming up in less than a week in the morning and am worried about it since it is a 737.

Search this Thread