Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 3:41 pm

Labor day is only 72 days away.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I think we all deserve some complimentary skypesos just for the vicarious pain and suffering from reading this thread...
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
I tend to avoid traveling in summer since its the best time of the year in Michigan and I love to enjoy the summer nights after work at home, enjoying the long hours of daylight and being able to spend time up north.
I also generally hate summer travel due to the insanity of peak summer travel season, thunderstorm delays/cancels galore.
This summer I am glad to not be traveling.
I grew up near GRR and find myself planning extra trips to the parental homestead this time of year despite the flight hassles getting there because Michigan summers are so wonderful.
DTWflyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Adelphos
So why can’t some of these people be new elites, especially if they have some level of business travel as well?
Of course, some of them are. But probably not as many as you might think, for the reasons mentioned above (business travel still down, leisure travel not likely enough to push people to higher status levels on its own). People making one-off travel after a couple of years, even in business to Europe, might not even be thoughtful enough to add their FFN. On top of that, given what a mess travel has been this summer, I would argue that some biz travelers aren't doing their usual summer leisure travel because of the mess at airports, and some of the newly-minted medallions are seeing what a disaster it is out there and deciding to be one-and-done (or two-and-done) with trips.
ijgordon and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
wow that’s a packed 767-300!
did they give a reason for the last minute cancellation ?!
inbound was canceled. I have been trying all day to call in and ask for a refund / credit and I get 2 hr hold times and no callback option
i was able to get a ticket on Ua in Polaris 777 so I am happy about that .
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm wondering here - are the flight cuts that DL already announced and implemented starting last month even having an impact here? That was supposed to improve the network resiliency and bring in some buffer to prevent further cancellations and significant delays from minor events.

DL is continuing to have regular meltdowns and dumping flights all over the place.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
I'm wondering here - are the flight cuts that DL already announced and implemented starting last month even having an impact here? That was supposed to improve the network resiliency and bring in some buffer to prevent further cancellations and significant delays from minor events.

DL is continuing to have regular meltdowns and dumping flights all over the place.
Ed said on CNBC there were no cuts. They simply canceled some planned growth after July 1.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Ed said on CNBC there were no cuts. They simply canceled some planned growth after July 1.
Doesn't this basically just prevent the situation from becoming worse versus fixing the problem?
rylan, BamaGirl, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Pile of flights canceled for today and tomorrow already across the network...
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by rylan
Pile of flights canceled for today and tomorrow already across the network...
Not even lunch hour yet and DL's NYC ops quickly turning into a dumpster fire.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
I'm flying MCI-SLC-LGB on July 2nd and back on the 4th. Part of me wants to say " but it's the west, most of the problems have been in the east" but I know that's a fallacy. I'm just going to strap in and shut the eff up. Fourth of July weekend is about to be an adventure. Stay tuned for my posts of cancellation, delays, missed parties and other misadventures.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Not even lunch hour yet and DL's NYC ops quickly turning into a dumpster fire.
Next weekend (end of month, long 4th of July weekend) is gonna be a disaster
hockeystl and rylan like this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I’ve been flying in the time frame of the Christmas, Memorial Day, and Juneteenth meltdowns and have yet to even misconnect once. Next flight is on the July 4 holiday weekend and I’m hoping my luck doesn’t finally run out since it’s a connection to a once a day international flight.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I flew MSP - JFK - CDG - MPL on Tue/Wed with no issue whatsoever - walked right up to curbside check-in at MSP, on time departures and arrivals, 15 min through passport control at CDG, no strike at CDG, luggage arrived promptly. I felt a strong urge to buy a lottery ticket. Oh, wait a minute, I forgot - there was no PDB in MSP. So much for that lottery ticket, but at least there is hope.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by drminn
I flew MSP - JFK - CDG - MPL on Tue/Wed with no issue whatsoever - walked right up to curbside check-in at MSP, on time departures and arrivals, 15 min through passport control at CDG, no strike at CDG, luggage arrived promptly. I felt a strong urge to buy a lottery ticket. Oh, wait a minute, I forgot - there was no PDB in MSP. So much for that lottery ticket, but at least there is hope.
Did you ask for a PDB?
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.