Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:40 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
I flew KLM earlier in the week.

First flight delayed because plane was late and was refueling. Delayed 45 minutes waiting for a new time slot for departure. Then, ground crew wasn't ready at flight time, so delayed another 45 minutes. This was at FRA.

Was going to miss connection. Luckily, the connection at AMS was also delayed for an hour. So it all worked out, just one hour late for arrival.

All of these problems were beyond the airline's control.

I'm just saying, things are tough all over for flying these days.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:47 am

We call it Titanium

Originally Posted by troyintn
Yeah, I wonder what 2023 will look like with elites, and if it is similar to this year I agree they will need a 180 or some other tier between diamond and 360
We have a rod warrior friend who calls his status Titanium.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stan1162
We have a rod warrior friend who calls his status Titanium.
All the status extensions are expiring, so I'd expect the elite numbers to plummet.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Wow, you're not kidding. https://nasstatus.faa.gov/

Ground stop for: BOS, BWI, DCA, EWR, IAD, JFK, LGA, PHL, YYZ.
I drove to DC on Sunday precisely for this reason. The thunderstorms were bad. Like cars hydroplaning on roads and fishtailing into guardrail bad....

Summer afternoon thunderstorms....airlines can't do anything to avoid these.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Summer afternoon thunderstorms....airlines can't do anything to avoid these.
Tomorrow afternoon at ATL....could be the start of another big weekend mess.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well BOS was a mess yesterday again (Wed) - fortunately my flight managed to arrive on time... but the big status board in the terminal looked like a christmas tree with a big mix of green, yellow delays, and red cancels. Anything to/from LGA seemed to be a lost cause, with other random cancels throughout the country.

For my flight that was canceled last Fri I received an canned apology email that they seem to send out regularly, and then 10k miles. I still plan on writing in to DL about the various issues, agents that were not capable of rebooking, and downgrade comp.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Glad I'm on an AA flight that ROAd.
ROAd?
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Synapseturquoise
Agreed, I don't understand why we are not notified of delays immediately. ?
In my case yesterday- common aircraft type, short haul- it was because they did manage to claw back the delay, likely because they could reassign a couple of pilots who had their original flights cancelled because of the NE weather mess.

The perfesser pointed out that we had a surplus of pilots on the outbound ATL-VPS including a jump seater so hypothesis was that the outbound pilots were about to time out and they needed a fresh pair for the return. Sorry y’all for jogging extra pilots on that flight.

Delta is trying but they just cut way too deep in 2020 and summer will continue to be a hot mess. I think it take the usual fall reduction in leisure travel to get things back in track.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lindros2
ROAd?
I assume this is a typo for RONed, where RON means remain overnight, so that the aircraft arrived the previous evening.
lindros2 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
All the status extensions are expiring, so I'd expect the elite numbers to plummet.
Guess again. Airfares are up 40% but the tiers have not changed. Load factors as high or higher than 2019.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Guess again. Airfares are up 40% but the tiers have not changed. Load factors as high or higher than 2019.
Impossible to know whether load factors mean many traveling a few times or few people traveling many times. I'd venture that it's somewhere in the middle. Given status extensions, rollover, etc, I'd expect Diamond and Platinum to be smaller next year than this year. Whether they plummet is hard to say.

While certainly anecdotal, I know of quite a few people who got status because of general rollover who normally wouldn't and will lose that status next year.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by atldiamond
Impossible to know whether load factors mean many traveling a few times or few people traveling many times. I'd venture that it's somewhere in the middle. Given status extensions, rollover, etc, I'd expect Diamond and Platinum to be smaller next year than this year. Whether they plummet is hard to say.

While certainly anecdotal, I know of quite a few people who got status because of general rollover who normally wouldn't and will lose that status next year.
I think there actually could be a GOLD drop-off - people have the MQM's, but lack the MQD's...
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lindros2
I think there actually could be a GOLD drop-off - people have the MQM's, but lack the MQD's...
I'd guess DLAS's point was that increased fares make it easier for people to make MQD requirements - which makes sense to me. Conversely, this will likely also effect demand and people will fly less - especially if we're actually headed for a recession
DLASflyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver

Infinite MQM rollover and a credit card waiver have made it really easy to earn Platinum this year. I think the PM thinning won’t really show up until 2024. I’m at 128K MQMs right now and my normal travel patterns plus credit card stuff would usually put me around 40K MQMs in a calendar year. I figure I can ride the PM horse through the end of 2025 before hopefully engineering a soft landing to GM.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA

They won't lose it until Jan 2024.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.