Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
I just had an unreal experience this past sunday at JFK. Flew DL48 to AMS which is using the plane coming in from TLV hours earlier. To save on gate space that plane got parked on the old Terminal 3 parking spot for a couple of hours. It's then supposed to be towed to the departure gate...
Arriving at the gate about 1 hour before departure time ( the official boarding time ) only to find out no plane at the gate. Announcement from the gate agents "will be here any moment". Same announcement 15, 30, 45 minutes later. Plane finally arrives at the gate 10 minutes past the official departure time.
Explanation: no ground crew available to tow the plane to the gate! Something they knew about hours in advance. Story continues with no baggage loaders available to load luggage and freight. Departure time was 7.35 pm, luggage was loaded onto the plane at 10.10 pm. Actually departure time 10.55 pm, a
3,5 hour delay on a day with perfect weather in the northeast. Lots of people ( my estimate at least 30% ) with missed connections in AMS, everybody was looking at the app which was only saying "please contact reservations". Lots of people with the phones on the ear all listining to the same music.
Also, at the boarding time gate had two agents working the flight but one had to leave around our original departure time with only one agent holding position for the next three hours ( she did very good, handling a nearly full A330! ).
Story got even worse after arrival in AMS but that is an different story, AMS was a mess yesterday ( monday ) with extemly long lines at the "transfer" centres for rebooking.
After this experience i'm pretty certain that DL ( and KLM too ) have to cut the schedule even further then the already announced cuts, they are simply operationally not able to handle the number of pax & flights. July ( with all of europe in holiday mode ) will be a new all time low for travellers.
You should be booking these on KLM/AF metal for EC 261 to provide compensation in these cases, at least for those with missed connections.
ijgordon likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 21, 2022 at 7:03 am
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
Final note: seat mate on my flight out on Friday was a handicapped elderly woman. She slept on the ground in ATL Thursday night because she thought that was her only option. She wasn't feeling great and went to the lav before pushback. When the FAs realized she was still there as we pushed back they berated her, insulted her, and threatened her. We returned to the gate and offloaded her.

Zero compassion. Zero humanity. Zero reflection that DL caused her issues.
Is that a travel apocalypse? For that woman it absolutely was.
This sounds beyond traumatizing, more like soul-crushing. I guess when you are in the middle of an epic meltdown of your own making you don’t have time for humanity, it’s like triaging at war, so she was sacrificed to avoid any risk of medical diversion in the air.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 5:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
They must all have bartenders now, I’ve only been asked my age once and it was at ATL F. The lady checking me in just let me know that they have an open bar and that I can’t use it (wasn’t planning on it).
AFAIK ATL F has always had bartenders; they have a "luxury bar" where you can buy bottles of real champagne, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:38 am
formerly willbbiddy

What the hell is going on?

DL105 ATL-GRU was supposed to leave at 1907 yesterday and has still not left. Originally a 12 hour delay, estimated departure is now 1059 today. The plane was ~5 hours late getting in, but out of ATL this delay is crazy. My only guess is that because this flight does the same route in both directions there was a crew time out issue or someone was sick?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by nk15
You should be booking these on KLM/AF metal for EC 261 to provide compensation in these cases, at least for those with missed connections.
I thought it also applies on DL metal?
I had an A330 issue (ironically) a couple years ago - ATL > AMS > ARL (AMS > ARL was KLM metal) where the ATL > AMS had a door sensor issue, repaired, then we returned after failing to gain pressurization.
EU261/2004 applied, but unsure if it was because of DL or the KL intra-Europe?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by BirdLawyer
DL105 ATL-GRU was supposed to leave at 1907 yesterday and has still not left. Originally a 12 hour delay, estimated departure is now 1059 today. The plane was ~5 hours late getting in, but out of ATL this delay is crazy. My only guess is that because this flight does the same route in both directions there was a crew time out issue or someone was sick?
appears to be in the air now... could have been maintenance or crew... but I'm nobody and just speculating...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:13 am
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by lindros2
appears to be in the air now... could have been maintenance or crew... but I'm nobody and just speculating...
They had to get this flight off and now have a <2hr turn at the busiest airport in south america. I'm on 105 tonight, I really hope this doesn't happen again. I'm laying over in ATL, I can't readjust on a 13 hour delay.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lindros2
I thought it also applies on DL metal?
I had an A330 issue (ironically) a couple years ago - ATL > AMS > ARL (AMS > ARL was KLM metal) where the ATL > AMS had a door sensor issue, repaired, then we returned after failing to gain pressurization.
EU261/2004 applied, but unsure if it was because of DL or the KL intra-Europe?
It could be either one. I know from the EU it applies to all al airlines, but it used to be more certain to apply for EU airlines on routes to the EU. But this may have been re-interpreted and broadened more recently (to cover codeshare flights).
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:30 am
formerly willbbiddy

They've also renamed this flight 105A. I get that it needs to be something other than 105 (technically they should both be in the air at the same time), but is this perhaps an attempt to keep the on time stats for 105 better?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
What a sh*tshow…. Imagine all the passengers who misconnected on GOL, elsewhere in Brazil or Latin America…
I would certainly hope DL would provide hotel vouchers to every pax in ATL, to those who missed their flights out of GRU!
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:25 am
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
What a sh*tshow…. Imagine all the passengers who misconnected on GOL, elsewhere in Brazil or Latin America…
I would certainly hope DL would provide hotel vouchers to every pax in ATL, to those who missed their flights out of GRU!
Luckily GRU is the best airport to miss a connection at. It's ~2 hours from anywhere in brazil with major passenger traffic and has tons of flights operated by the BR big 3 round the clock. ~15 nonstops to CNF or POA for example, that jumps way up when you add CGH. Hundreds if you layover at GIG or SDU. Granted none of that is ideal, but when it's get there at all cost you could do a lot worse than GRU.

What makes this an operational nightmare is that Delta isn't running their ATL-GIG route as far as I can tell. Your only real reroute options are LATAM out of Miami/JFK or DL JFK; that's it. I suppose you could go full crazy and route through AMS w/ KL but that adds an entire day.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
They've also renamed this flight 105A. I get that it needs to be something other than 105 (technically they should both be in the air at the same time), but is this perhaps an attempt to keep the on time stats for 105 better?
Probably so it doesn't clash with today's 105 - can't have two flights in the air with the same number at the same time.
PurdueFlyer, emma dog and lindros2 like this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
Probably so it doesn't clash with today's 105 - can't have two flights in the air with the same number at the same time.
Correct. Interesting they didn't give it a 9000-series number, but probably since it's the same plane... they just kept the 105. Never seen an "A" before...
Old Jun 21, 2022, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Usually an "extra section" is assigned a flight number like 9105 or 9988. Maybe Brazil prefers the A?
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Often saw UK airlines appending letters to their longhaul flight plans for ATC purposes.
FlyerWx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.