Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Who cares about operations when you can dedicate so much time to woke catering, virtue signaling, and Bastian hosting a podcast about social issues? After all, what's more important to an airline? Actual operations and customer service, or cultural edification?
That's not very nice on Juneteenth.

Get rid of Bastian and bring in someone operationally-focused.
They have one. His name is Gil West.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I only had to call the Diamond line twice in the last three weeks, but both times I got someone within ten minutes.
At 3am.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:55 am

Who cares about operations when you can dedicate so much time to woke catering, virtue signaling, and Bastian hosting a podcast about social issues?
lol

show us on the doll where the braised shortrib hurt you
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Who cares about operations when you can dedicate so much time to woke catering, virtue signaling, and Bastian hosting a podcast about social issues? After all, what's more important to an airline? Actual operations and customer service, or cultural edification?
Woke catering? What are you even talking about?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by Beetles
I'm in upper management. We all have gaps in our expertise. If one is a really great leader, they put ego aside, recognize those gaps, surrounded yourself with the best and brightest (particularly in those areas where you're weak), listen to your people and make tough calls.

Hindsight is 20/20, the best one can do is recognize the bad decisions and fight like h#ll to rectify them.

Oh, and lindros2 West 'retired' from Delta last year and now works for GM.
wrp96, cmd320, manacit and 1 others like this.

Last edited by navi_jen; Jun 19, 2022 at 9:43 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta DM
Took a huge gamble and gave up an upgraded FC seat on a 6am flight. Standby on a 12pm flight was looking grim as 10 seats just disappeared. Was relieved to hear my name called by GA. 2 prior flights were cancelled so the standby list was pretty long too. Whew~
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Great option but I wonder how reliable this is? Also, what if you cant get through in time and actually fly the full-fare walk-up ticket?
In my experience they make you eat the full fare $2300 difference and tell you to kick rocks ):
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
If I read bubbashow's post on "Woke Catering" they mean catering to the wokesters. I'm an upper middle manager in a transportation industry and have had to deal with several people who actively rub race, gender, orientation and politics in my face and then play as many cards as possible when they get caught screwing up their job to keep the heat off them. If what you choose to do in your personal life has no direct connection to your work life then I don't care who, what, or how you live your life away from work. Ed and the rest of Delta's Mahogany Row need to stop with the virtue signaling and look past appearance (in general), lifestyle choices and the like and just get your airline working properly. AKA Stay In Your Lane.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I only had to call the Diamond line twice in the last three weeks, but both times I got someone within ten minutes.
After regularly following weekend cancellations on Flightaware the last couple months, DL seemed to have a brief respite in early June after largescale Memorial Day weekend cancellations. So call volumes were probably less during that period. This weekend looks to be a return to what was going on in May. Might also be related to another double witching event (both a weekend and a holiday -- albeit somewhat minor). United also having some issues, but it looks largely related to EWR and not systemwide.

northinsouth likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by cjglick
In my experience they make you eat the full fare $2300 difference and tell you to kick rocks ):
I have not yet had the guts to be this brazen. I wouldnt travel on the full fare expensive ticket.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Are the schedule reductions already in place for July/August?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I just did the same thing; I was booked HNL-MSP-LGA in full paid J this past Friday and woke up the morning of departure that MSP-LGA was cancelled and I had been auto-rebooked HNL-SLC-DTW-LGA in F. After finding no acceptable routings using the rebooking tool, I was able to find a multi-city HNL-MSP-JFK with a nine hour layover at MSP and booked that while on hold for the PM line (90 min). The agent exchanged the new booking into my old PNR and cancelled the one I bought. The only negative thing was the rebooked HNL-MSP leg booked into C and not J so I lost a bit of MQM; I will ping Customer Relations and ask for them back.

On a side note, I booked a room at the Intercontinental MSP Airport for my layover and was able to get a shower and a nice nap. I also missed a bump on the MSP-JFK flight as they wouldn't protect me in F on the rebook. It's going to be a fun summer...
Getting the MQMs should be easy if you just ask for ORC. (I'm ignoring the slight difference in mileage on MSP-LGA vs MSP-JFK.)
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Are the schedule reductions already in place for July/August?
I would guess mostly.
While there are no stats yet for this weekend's cuts, last weekend they loaded a bunch of August and September schedule cuts. I count 44 routes that took cuts for either August alone, or both August and September (or beyond). The weekend of June 4th was light for schedule updates and only shows 4 routes getting August cuts. The weekend of May 28th was a big one for July cuts with 43 routes taking July cutbacks. The weekend of May 21st also was another big update with 55 route cuts for either July or August or both. While quite a few of the reductions involved canceling 1 flight a day, some reductions were less severe than that. I'm guessing if you added them all up they would be close to 100 flights/day that DL had mentioned in their press release. I should also add that these include both mainline and regional flight reductions (although they mostly look to be mainline routes).

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 19, 2022 at 11:45 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I know if it is off topic, but its funny to me no matter what the topic or issue, someone eventually brings up "woke catering" as the cause of the problem

I would argue the problem was caused by pushing early retirements / workforce reduction way to hard in search of financial benefits like juniority, while ignoring the strong return demand, which is obviously pretty far from "woke"
You can have nutritionally conscious meals that also taste good. Those Luvo meals were disgusting.
cmd320 and nineworldseries like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Any ideas for international destinations that would work fairly well? AMS is a mess and England is facing train strikes. My preferred ground transportation from CDG is suspended. I'm eager to go somewhere now that I don't need to worry about testing to fly back to the USA. Asia seems out of the question in general, so I'm presumably looking at connections through ATL or JFK. If I don't want to overnight at one of these airports, I wonder which would be safer in terms of IROPs. Both are prone to late afternoon summer thunderstorms, with ATL being perhaps a bit worse, but JFK has fewer domestic connecting flights for me, and some are on big RJs. BOS is a mess and I don't like the short TATL flights. I'm not sure DTW currently has nonstops other than LHR, CDG, and AMS, so that wouldn't help me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.