Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Bear96
Oh for Heaven's sake, enough with the hyperbole already, msn!

Armageddon is the last or final battle. So this weekend is yet another "final" battle, to be followed by more, and is not isolated?

(BTW I flew this evening and got to my destination early with no drama. I did not see any signs of Armageddon.)

Come on, man - Delta has been having an objectively worse time versus US peers recently:

Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Come on, man - Delta has been having an objectively worse time versus US peers recently:
Non sequitur. Read the article I was commenting on, which was not about any specific airline.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold

Armageddon is the last or final battle. So this weekend is yet another "final" battle, to be followed by more, and is not isolated?

(BTW I flew this evening and got to my destination early with no drama. I did not see any signs of Armageddon.)
Would it make you feel better if it were called a the Great Travel Tribulation?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA

Without an explanation, that picture doesn't demonstrate much. What time period is it for?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by dls25
AKA “Sunday” in DL.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by dls25
It would make me feel better if the media didn't constantly look for clickbait words to use in their headlines. The media's objective is to make everyone feel bad and have anxiety, so every poor travel day is a meltdown, or Armageddon, or a disaster, or a perfect storm, or "massive," or...
ryanm, wrp96 and bhelm like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lindros2
welcome back, Adelphos.
Looks like JFK > LHR is consistently .. delayed.
Saturday's LHR-MSP closed the door a bit early and then was delayed by ATC for about a half hour. The suggestion was that there weren't enough ATC employees working to handle more flights, but I don't know whether this was the reason. Weather around London looked fine, although there were some mid-Atlantic bumps. We arrived a bit early.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It would make me feel better if the media didn't constantly look for clickbait words to use in their headlines. The media's objective is to make everyone feel bad and have anxiety, so every poor travel day is a meltdown, or Armageddon, or a disaster, or a perfect storm, or "massive," or...
Oh, like Forbes does - Gordon Kelly.

Mr. "Nasty Surprise"
DenverBrian and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Without an explanation, that picture doesn't demonstrate much. What time period is it for?
Looks like percent canceled globally yesterday. Delta and Delta-owned Endeavor are among the worst in the world.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
You know what, that's why we live in a capitalist society. If you don't like the company or it's product take your money elsewhere. Or drive.
lindros2 and steved5480 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I'm at the tail end of a status match from UA1K to DL. On-board hard and soft product is consistently light years ahead of UA. DL hubs, for the most part, are better than their UA equivalents.

Last week I got caught in ATL on the Thurs evening "meltdown" and the subsequent attempts at service recovery. What I witnessed and experienced was nothing short of shocking. Lines were, without hyperbole, hundreds of people deep and staffed with only 2 people. Phone lines were hour + wait time for PMs and the chat service via the app might as well be turned off its so ineffective.

Here's where UA runs circles around DL -- the DL app was completely useless in self-service re-accommodation. The app was proposing to get me into an alternate airport on Sunday (!!) yet I could purchase a ticket to my actual destination for Friday evening (which I ended-up doing and then standing by for a earlier flight). If half the people standing in line or waiting in a phone queue could have rebooked via self-service options the service recovery would have been a thousand times better experience for everyone. For anyone that's never flown UA and used their app then you have no idea that DL is living in like 2007 with technology. It's bad.

Final note: seat mate on my flight out on Friday was a handicapped elderly woman. She slept on the ground in ATL Thursday night because she thought that was her only option. She wasn't feeling great and went to the lav before pushback. When the FAs realized she was still there as we pushed back they berated her, insulted her, and threatened her. We returned to the gate and offloaded her.

Zero compassion. Zero humanity. Zero reflection that DL caused her issues.
Is that a travel apocalypse? For that woman it absolutely was.
lindros2, HDQDD, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:18 am

Twitter used to be the best way to get support across all airlines, and initially, Delta chat worked fine. The issue isn’t calling vs electronic, it’s that DL has understaffed everything
Chat can be a horribly inefficient method of providing customer support compared to phone support. Either the agent is tied up handling one chat with variable response times from the customer depending how engaged they are with the chat function (kills productivity), it times out after a period of no response and then routes to a new agent when the customer replies again (requiring the new agent to review the record/familiarize themselves with what has been already discussed wasting productivity), or you have an agent trying to manage multiple chats at once to keep productivity up (and keep them busy while waiting for the customer to reply to the chat again). Now tell me more about how much of a problem you have with the agents providing support as it is, now you want them to try managing multiple, completely unrelated reservations at once, that is a disaster waiting to happen.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The suggestion was that there weren't enough ATC employees working to handle more flights, but I don't know whether this was the reason.
Among a multitude of issues, ATC staffing is contributing to the problems in the NYC area (and elsehwere across the country), and was an issue Saturday afternoon/evening.
From the 6/18 operational plan: https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_othe...eDate=06/18/22
TERMINAL CONSTRAINTS:
N90/PCT/LAS/SLC - WIND
MCO/TPA/FLL/MIA/DEN/D10/PHX - THUNDERSTORMS
DAL - RWY CONSTRUCTION
N90 - STAFFING (EWR AREA)
Interestingly they specifically call out the EWR area, but N90 is the NY TRACON, so while staffing may have predominantly impacted the EWR area of N90, staffing issues there would also impact the other areas it provides services to (JFK & LGA)For what it's worth, only expect it to get worse as ATC has said they will face increasing staffing challenges throughout the summer months.

Originally Posted by nk15
'Travel Armageddon' continues as flight delays, cancellations pile up: What's going on? (msn.com)

Nationwide, Delta and United have the highest number of cancellations, with 7% and 3% of flights canceled, respectively, not including flights on their regional affiliates. Airports that are seeing the most issues include Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport and LaGuardia Airport in the New York City area.
Wow, who bribed MSN to leave the disaster known as Newark/New York out of that list.

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Looks like percent canceled globally yesterday. Delta and Delta-owned Endeavor are among the worst in the world.
One day doesn't tell the story of a month. AA has cancelled 1% more flights then DL MTD, and up until this weekend, UA had also cancelled more flights. Currently UA is only ahead of DL by ~0.3% MTD.

This weekend was a disaster for anyone operating out of the NY, Boston and DC areas. Staffing/weather blew things up starting on Thursday and it just carried through the entire weekend. Flights were full and most rebookings were for routings taking 1+ days to get people to their destination since everything is booked to capacity.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by navi_jen
You know what, that's why we live in a capitalist society. If you don't like the company or it's product take your money elsewhere. Or drive.
Actually, we live in a social society. If we don't like the company or its product - we complain. Often. Over increasingly smaller issues.

This is a very American trait, though I think Europeans are right there with us.
kavok and navi_jen like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold

Same here. I suppose there aren't as many online reports given when the flights occur as scheduled, but here we are. Yes, it was a rough travel day systemwide, but MSP was having a very sleepy Armageddon, if that's what we are calling it.

Last edited by silverthief2; Jun 20, 2022 at 9:51 am
Old Jun 20, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by belynch
The app was proposing to get me into an alternate airport on Sunday (!!) yet I could purchase a ticket to my actual destination for Friday evening (which I ended-up doing and then standing by for a earlier flight). If half the people standing in line or waiting in a phone queue could have rebooked via self-service options the service recovery would have been a thousand times better experience for everyone. For anyone that's never flown UA and used their app then you have no idea that DL is living in like 2007 with technology. It's bad.
Was your new flight overbooked? My understanding is the app won't rebook you onto a flight that is already overbooked. And that generally an agent won't do that either. Some have success buying the new flight and then getting it refunded later.

Don't know about UAL, maybe you can provide that information....

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.