Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Justin026
And if you are in a gate area or sitting on a delayed plane, plug in immediately — have had situations where I am using the last 2% of charge trying to stay on hold or check status, rebook, whatever.
This is why we travel with at least two - now more - 22000+ mAh power banks. Even my mobile speakers can charge phones.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
That letter is scathing.

I'm on the pilots' side if they decide that sterner measures are needed. I don't see this management team taking any responsibility or admitting fault. If the pilots need to walk off to prove the point, so be it.
Agreed. I enjoy watching union people not afraid of management showing the rest of the employees what strength looks like.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: DL DM
Who cares about operations when you can dedicate so much time to woke catering, virtue signaling, and Bastian hosting a podcast about social issues? After all, what's more important to an airline? Actual operations and customer service, or cultural edification?

I miss the Delta of 5 years ago. I can't do business with a company that is impossible to reach on the phone (even with upper-tier status).

Get rid of Bastian and bring in someone operationally-focused.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Who cares about operations when you can dedicate so much time to woke catering.
“Woke catering”. Well that’s a new one. 🙄
ijgordon, Juanefny, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Beetles
“Woke catering”. Well that’s a new one. 🙄
I know if it is off topic, but its funny to me no matter what the topic or issue, someone eventually brings up "woke catering" as the cause of the problem

I would argue the problem was caused by pushing early retirements / workforce reduction way to hard in search of financial benefits like juniority, while ignoring the strong return demand, which is obviously pretty far from "woke"
Daze, Juanefny, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I know if it is off topic, but its funny to me no matter what the topic or issue, someone eventually brings up "woke catering" as the cause of the problem

I would argue the problem was caused by pushing early retirements / workforce reduction way to hard in search of financial benefits like juniority, while ignoring the strong return demand, which is obviously pretty far from "woke"
I guess canned beanie weenies are his idea of gourmet. God forbid you serve him a plate of bibimbap. All sorts of slurs would probably start flying.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by Beetles
I guess canned beanie weenies are his idea of gourmet. God forbid you serve him a plate of bibimbap. All sorts of slurs would probably start flying.
ha…aren’t most “bubbas” naturally fond of cheese enchiladas with salsa verde and Korean fried chicken drizzled with gochujang sauce?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Meanwhile we go live to all the experienced operations employees who took the buyouts and are now happily retired:

dw, rozy, BamaGirl and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
If I had Ed's background, I would have a leadership team that has a heavy ops and customer service focus and listen to them CLOSELY. Bean counter and risk adverse mentality is hard to overcome...and seems like they are paying for it now. Personally, I'm avoiding flying until this all shakes out. Could be a bumpy 3-6 months, particularly with the AMS issues.
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by navi_jen
If I had Ed's background, I would have a leadership team that has a heavy ops and customer service focus and listen to them CLOSELY. Bean counter and risk adverse mentality is hard to overcome...and seems like they are paying for it now. Personally, I'm avoiding flying until this all shakes out. Could be a bumpy 3-6 months, particularly with the AMS issues.
Zero customer facing experience.

https://news.delta.com/leader-bio-to...-customer-care
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM
Edited for Content
rylan, BamaGirl, cmd320 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by bubbashow; Aug 29, 2023 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Resources spent in one department for asinine wokeness could easily be shifted to other departments in crisis.

Most of my money is going to UA. It seems they are running a schedule they can actually complete.

If you like spending 3 hours waiting to talk to a phone rep as a Platinum or Diamond, have fun. You he you. My time and frustration level is worth something to me.
I fly a lot of AA now and it's been perfectly fine. Delta was great at DCA when the product, service, employees, etc justified the connection vs the nonstop. Now that Delta is a dumpster fire I'm going with the AA nonstops more often than not. At least if my flight is canceled I can just go home vs being stuck at ATL.

Delta needs to rip the bandage off and reduce the schedule as quickly as possible. The bad press of "Delta cancelled my ticket for next week" is a lot better than "Delta abandoned disabled veterans to sleep on the floor at ATL."

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jun 19, 2022 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
If you like spending 3 hours waiting to talk to a phone rep as a Platinum or Diamond
I only had to call the Diamond line twice in the last three weeks, but both times I got someone within ten minutes.
nineworldseries likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:41 am

Resources spent in one department for asinine wokeness could easily be shifted to other departments in crisis.

Most of my money is going to UA. It seems they are running a schedule they can actually complete.

If you like spending 3 hours waiting to talk to a phone rep as a Platinum or Diamond, have fun. You he you. My time and frustration level is worth something to me.
A company can both run its operation efficiently and create an inclusive and equitable work environment (what I assume you label “asinine wokeness”). It’s not an either/or situation.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:42 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I buy the flight I want immediately. Then I call in and ask for a refund and the booked flight as an even exchange.
I just did the same thing; I was booked HNL-MSP-LGA in full paid J this past Friday and woke up the morning of departure that MSP-LGA was cancelled and I had been auto-rebooked HNL-SLC-DTW-LGA in F. After finding no acceptable routings using the rebooking tool, I was able to find a multi-city HNL-MSP-JFK with a nine hour layover at MSP and booked that while on hold for the PM line (90 min). The agent exchanged the new booking into my old PNR and cancelled the one I bought. The only negative thing was the rebooked HNL-MSP leg booked into C and not J so I lost a bit of MQM; I will ping Customer Relations and ask for them back.

On a side note, I booked a room at the Intercontinental MSP Airport for my layover and was able to get a shower and a nice nap. I also missed a bump on the MSP-JFK flight as they wouldn't protect me in F on the rebook. It's going to be a fun summer...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.