Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

2 Pax, same record. One can’t check in due to “government regulations.”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 Pax, same record. One can’t check in due to “government regulations.”

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Got the SSSS at Frankfurt a couple weeks ago.
Although I had heard that it's an unfriendly experience with TSA in the U.S., it was surprisingly simple in Germany.
They walked me to a separate security area where they swabbed my backpack and I think my belt buckle and when that came back negative, it was finished.
Last time I got SSSS was when I was flying FRA - IAD in F on LH a few years ago (back when I got find award availability ) and I got it in the FCT. Talk about a simple and perhaps the most pleasant SSSS experience you could have
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by physicsdude
A colleague of mine had the SSSS while coming back from YVR but it was because someone on the FBI's top 10 most wanted stole his identity and they strip searched him. They thought he was the person but after about an hour, it was then the Canadian TSA found out his identity was stolen. In a twist of events, the person who had stolen his identity was actually spotted a few days in Vancouver.
wow hope they had clean underwear lol
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by cubeman
If you packed your items to your perfection then expect that to get messed up and you aren't going to want to put it all back together.
CUN security repacked my stuff better than I had originally packed it after an SSSS check.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Anyone have personal experience with that? What are they going to do? Use your deodorant? Looking through your carry-on thoroughly takes like one minute.
Maybe most people don't want agents who likely haven't washed hands or changed gloves rooting through all of their stuff that is meticulously packed to fit in a bag or organized well. Why open yourself to more scrutiny than needed?

That being said, going through security (especially int'l) w/o any luggage may raise some eyebrows as well.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ekozie
CUN security repacked my stuff better than I had originally packed it after an SSSS check.
Probably don't want a complaint that your stuff was poorly put back in lol.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Indeed, it was SSSS.

When we got to the airport (90 minutes in advance), the line for Business was about 50 people deep and was moving at a snails pace. We had no checked bags.

A contract agent who was roaming suggested we use the kiosk. Viola! No got his boarding pass (with SSSS).

Thanks to the advice here, I had his bag in hand going through the boarding process. He was pulled aside for some question, and they went through his very small cary on. It only took a couple of extra minutes. But I was able t secure overhead bin space in the meantime.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wait, so the SSSS screening happens at boarding, not during regular security clearance?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Wait, so the SSSS screening happens at boarding, not during regular security clearance?
I've had SSSS special screening at TSA airport security checkpoints in the USA, both there and at the gate for a domestic flight (where I suspect that the gate check was a form of retaliation), and at the gate only several times before an international flight to the USA.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:23 pm

It's supposed to happen at security and then receive a new boarding pass at the gate. Your aren't supposed to be cleared through security otherwise.

I have seen CBPO's do random bag searches on the jetway before however.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Depends on airport. Some main security does it. Others the airline has contracted agents at gate.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
It's supposed to happen at security and then receive a new boarding pass at the gate. Your aren't supposed to be cleared through security otherwise.

What? Never have received a new BP. In fact reprinting does nothing. It'll still say SSSS and scan as such.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had SSSS special screening at TSA airport security checkpoints in the USA, both there and at the gate for a domestic flight (where I suspect that the gate check was a form of retaliation), and at the gate only several times before an international flight to the USA.
How long ago was the domestic gate check? TSA at one point stated gate checks for SSSS were over. Any additional checking was to be done at checkpoint.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 17, 2022 at 5:38 am
Old Jun 17, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

You don't need a new boarding pass.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
What? Never have received a new BP. In fact reprinting does nothing. It'll still say SSSS and scan as such.
I've received one but this was on a Intl flight to the US. Agent called me up to the podium at the gate and issued me a new boarding pass without SSSS on it.

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
You don't need a new boarding pass.
See above.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, reprinting the boarding pass can make TSA PreCheck appear, so it's not unreasonable to try re-printing if you see SSSS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.